• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do people stay off-site?

We have stayed off twice at the Hiton grand vacations club at Sea world. The suite there for the money can't be beat. The first time we went we stayed there because my in laws were staying there and we were going to spend time with them as well as the parks. The second time we stayed there was over Christmas 2011 and the price was so much less then onsite. We love the space and rent a car from priceline. It defintely was harder going back for a break and then there were times where we did not want to go back in the evening because of the crowds. We did eat off site for some meals and it is cheaper.

We are staying on property in Jan 2013 at AKV at 35% in a suite and it is insane, but with the discount we are doing deluxe dining and making the most of it. We will probably not be back for a couple of years, so this is a splurge for us. We have been saving up. 100 days today. Yay.

I would if I needed the space and had a car. I don't need the space and am glad for the opportunity to forego renting a car.

When you're looking at the Swan or Dolphin, they are very competitive with Disney deluxes. And sometimes they have great discounts that make them competitive with Disney moderates and even the values at times. The thing to remember is to add in the $14 per night mandatory resort fee (apparently waived if you are Starwood platinum), the parking charge if you have a car, and the airport transportation cost.

We stayed off site this past August, and I would definitely do it again!!!
We rented a townhome at Windsor Hills for $85 a night. There was no way we could stay on site for that price. We had 3 bedrooms, our own splash pool, 3 bathrooms, washer/dryer, etc. It was so nice to come back from a busy day at DW and have space for everyone to relax, swim, etc. It was also helpful to throw a load of laundry in and know that we always had clean clothes.
The quick drive to DW each day was a breeze, and we never had any issues with that. Having a kitchen was handy too, as we could stop at a grocery store and pick up something for dinner if we didn't feel like eating out. Each morning we made breakfast at the house, and packed a lunch to eat in the park. It definitely cut down on the expenses for food and I'm not sure my stomach could have handled 9 days of DW park food. Such big portions!

We fall into the larger family category. As a family of 5 the options on-site are limited and we enjoy the space. Honestly, being able to go to bed in a separate bedroom from my kids at night after a long day in the parks is worth it's weight in gold. :) We've stayed onsite and will again at Shades of Green because it's very affordable and can accommodate 5, but the space and extra bedrooms and especially extra bathrooms is great. We went with another family and rented a 6 bedroom home at Emerald Island for considerably less than we would pay on-site even after adding in rental car and parking fees. I really hated using the buses (I know many others like them, I just don't fall into the category). We learned to avoid EMH parks because the benefit to them is really limited for the crowds. So, for us, it really made good sense. We were a 10 minute drive to Disney property so it never felt like a big delay or problem.

I really liked having a kitchen and laundry at my fingertips as well. I packed a fraction of what I normally would if not for that. I was able to pack for our family of 5 for a week in 3 carry-on bags.

Anyway, there's no right answer for all people. Some like on-site, some like off-site and both for a multitude of valid reasons.

The reasons we stayed off-site on our last trip:

1. We need the space for a value price. We were able to buy a 2BR condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $625.00 off Ebay. We were on the 10th floor of our building and had a perfect view of the EPCOT ball and could see the castle off in the distance. It is still within the Disney gates so we felt a part of the magic.
2. Because we had a washer/dryer provided in the condo...I could pack lightly (which is a godsend for a family of 6), and we didn't have so much luggage to haul around. We also had a full kitchen, which helped us save on food.
3. With the money we saved on lodging & food, we were able to upgrade our tickets (which we saved money on by purchasing them through Undercover Tourist) to annual passes, and it looks like we're going to head back in January. :) Having the annual passes, gave us free parking, so we didn't incur that additional cost.
4. Although we love the Disney transportation, we have found that folding and unfolding strollers and then trying to balance said strollers on a packed bus while trying hold on to the kids doesn't really work, so we end up driving a lot on our own. It seems faster and it works better. With that said, it didn't make a difference staying at WBC over on-site.

Don't get me wrong...I love staying on-site too, but you can bet that if I can get another week at WBC cheap on Ebay, I'd do it in a heartbeat for our trip in January. Then with the money we saved for that first week, I'd upgrade to a monorail resort for the remainder of our stay. :) I'd come out just about at the same cost as 9 nights at POR.:cool1:

shannon,

we have stayed offsite and onsite.
but have also done both at the same time! :confused3

our first few trips were offsite in villas with and without pools/town houses-we fly and hire a car.
we enjoyed these vacations,but then booked 'one nighters' during our vacations in value resorts in order to be fully absorbed with the disney magic.

we liked the emh and the free parking.
did not like just one room and only 2 beds for 4 people, however only really used for sleeping.

we then stayed in okw,and ssr the following years in 2 bedroom villas.
we booked onsite for-
emh
free dining
free parking
convenient for popping back during the day
to be fully absorbed in disney magic.

sadly, the price of these villas became astronomical and totally out of reach.:sad1:
we then decided why not book a disney hotel and offsite for the same period and have the best of both worlds! :rotfl2:

this may appear outlandish,however worked out cheaper than even a one bedroomed villa at wdw.

therefore, we are still able to have the disney benefits (as above)and also-
(not in any particular order-just what comes to mind!)
lounge/dining areas
extra tv's!
more beds(bedrooms)
extra toilets-most useful!
extra bath/showers-as above!
full kitchen
and also very importantly-washer and dryer-therefore less packing and more room to fill cases with all our shopping! :rotfl:

From what I've heard/seen it comes down mostly to two things -
1. affordability - cheaper to rent off site
2. more space

We stayed off site years ago, and as soon as we could afford it, it's been on site every since. The experience on site is so much worth it to us. We never do any driving once we get there - love the freedom of just hopping a bus/boat/monorail. Unlike some, we have had very few bad issues with the transportation system. There has been some, true, but with such a huge system there we expect it, and just go with the flow - doesn't upset us.

We are generally off-site folks. Last December we stayed at POFQ and loved it. We were just there for a few days and it was nice. But if we are going to stay for more than a few days we want more room.
I have never had to pay for internet at a off site resort. I love having a bedroom for everyone. Love packing lighter because we have a Laundry in the room. And really love the prices, I have never paid over $500 for a week at any resort, and they were all very nice.

We stayed off site and on site in September for our two week stay. Three nights using a friends timeshare points for free, 9 nights at Bonnet Creek ($800 total) and three nights at LM rooms. Also, friends were staying in a two bedroom BLT while we were book at Bonnet Creek and we spent 5 days mostly with them. We got discounted park tickets through the first resort we stayed at and payed out of pocket for meals. We calculated and basically broke even with staying off site for two weeks vs on site for one week. Out next trip is only going to be one week and we will try very hard to stay on site if the right specials come along. It will be $2000 for 6 days of tix for two adults and two kids and two bedrooms at bonnet creek, so depending on what kind of package deals are going, we might break even again to stay on site. While we love the extra room at bonnet creek, we love character and park/resort dining and I feel badly if we don't take advantage of the full kitchen ;).

OK, I'm looking at several trips to WDW in 2013 and, although I've only stayed on-site before, I thought I'd look into trying off-site options as well.

I'm not sure it's ever going to make much sense for us. By the time you add up the airport transfer fees for off-site hotels, daily internet fees and losing on-site benefits, there are only 2 times it seems like it would make sense for somebody to stay off-site:

- people traveling with hotel points
- larger families that need more space

Am I missing something here? Are there people outside of those 2 groups that stay off-site and can help convince me to give it a try?

Personall, I prefer offsite. We are a family of 2A and 2C. We do not like to share a room. Feels too cramped. I like to put the children to bed and stay up with my DH enjoying a glass of wine, watching tv etc. I want my own personal sleep space to be um...personal with my DH. We always stay in 2BR timeshares off site. On site; it would be $595 a night (full rack rate). I can get the Sheraton Vistana, for example, for $159 a night. We always rent a car as we like to come and go as we please and always have a guaranteed place. Plus, IMHO, Disney hotels are subpar compared to off site. Even the moderates are set up more like a motel than a hotel since all access is outside.

If you are going to use Magical Express and stay in a value room, it would be better stay on site. As I mentioned, we always stay in a 1BR at a minimum to have our seperate sleeping quarters. We tried value and absolutely hated it. We tried moderate and it was okay. We have also traded in for a 2BR villa at the Boardwalk. In my opinion, it wasn't as well equipped as off site places. Although we did enjoy that one since we could walk to two parks.

We have done both and prefer off site. While we enjoy WDW we do not necessarily want it 24/7.

OK, I'm looking at several trips to WDW in 2013 and, although I've only stayed on-site before, I thought I'd look into trying off-site options as well.

I'm not sure it's ever going to make much sense for us. By the time you add up the airport transfer fees for off-site hotels, daily internet fees and losing on-site benefits, there are only 2 times it seems like it would make sense for somebody to stay off-site:

- people traveling with hotel points
- larger families that need more space

Am I missing something here? Are there people outside of those 2 groups that stay off-site and can help convince me to give it a try?

Where are you looking to stay onsite? How much are airport transfers? Have never done one so I don't know.

Hilton Doubletree suites at DTD is a 2 room suite for $110 a night. Although there is a charge for wireless of $10 it also includes complimentary continental breakfast. It also has free shuttles to the parks.

Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista - Prices Begin at: $69 for standard Queen/Queen or King. Also, no charge each room gets a fridge, microwave, coffee/tea maker and high speed wireless. They do charge $12 a night for their shuttles (also include Universal and SeaWorld, Factory Stores and Outlets) and they have a kids eat free program.

Just some things to think about.

We are a family of 2A and 2C. We do not like to share a room. Feels too cramped. I like to put the children to bed and stay up with my DH enjoying a glass of wine, watching tv etc. I want my own personal sleep space to be um...personal with my DH.
:thumbsup2

we are 2a and 2c too-however my ds is now taller than us all-so feels like 4 adults!
much as we all love each other,i'm pretty sure my children would not want to spend every second of their time with us-and vice versa!:rotfl:
and both personal time and personal space are equally important.:goodvibes

I've got a friend who rents a home offsite every year for one month in February. They also rent a car.
They own their own business and just close it for that month because they barely have any business in February.

They do all kinds of stuff in and around Orlando and the beaches that month, not just Disney so for them it's perfect.

We have been considering renting a condo offsite for the space. We've got 2 teens - a 6ft boy and a girl who each need some space. And I can't stand my husband being on his computer in one room all the time.

The big problem for us would be car issues. We'd have our car but I am up early and ready to go but they like to sleep in. So I'd have to either have a shuttle available to Disney or take a cab. There is no way I'd be able to just sit around the condo on vacation.

For some folks - having a full kitchen is a big deal. I personally don't care. I'm not cooking on vacation.

CCgirl,
It's about $40/person roundtrip for a shuttle through Mears. http://www.mearstransportation.com/pdf/Rates.pdf

I've checked out the hotels you mentioned. The space is not a requirement for me - it's just my son and me on this trip. By the time you factor in $80 for airport transfers and $30 for Internet fees, the average nightly rate to stay off-site goes up quite a bit.

For about $140/night, I can rent DVC points and stay at AKV so I'm going that route instead (for this trip, anyway).

We will usually stay on site if we can but we have also stayed off site.
For our most recent trip 2 weeks ago we stayed at my parents time share and having a full kitchen and a washer and dryer was wonderful, plus the money saved was awesome. We have also stayed off site if we are not strictly going to DW ( in May we split between Disney and Seaworld and stayed at a hotel affiliated with Seaworld better deal).

I am not going to lie I did miss the on site hotels and not having EMH was weird.

CCgirl,
It's about $40/person roundtrip for a shuttle through Mears. http://www.mearstransportation.com/pdf/Rates.pdf

I've checked out the hotels you mentioned. The space is not a requirement for me - it's just my son and me on this trip. By the time you factor in $80 for airport transfers and $30 for Internet fees, the average nightly rate to stay off-site goes up quite a bit.

For about $140/night, I can rent DVC points and stay at AKV so I'm going that route instead (for this trip, anyway).

Ouch. No wonder we rent a car. The last time we went, I got a 10 day car rental for $160 - the same price it would have been for a Mears shuttle for the 4 of us and we could go off site if we wanted to.

I rented DVC points for AKV once as well. It was great. It was just DH and myself so staying in a studio was no big deal.

I'm actually thinking our next trip (with the kids) we might do the same for 2 nights and then move off site to our usual 2BR timeshare.

Have a great trip!

I am an onsite whenever possible person myself - however I do see some advantages to staying offsite.

It is possible to take the public lynx bus from the airport to many areas near Disney including Disney, Seaworld and International Drive for $2/person. I have seen lots of families do this and it works quite well but definitely not the most preferred way to go. But if you want to save some money - it is easily done and you can avoid the shuttle cost all together! For singles and couples doing budget trips it does make sense or for people used to taking public transportation it is really no big deal.

Many people want to see Disney but also other areas like Seaworld and Universal. It is possible to use buses, trolley and shuttles to do this if you really want to save money. I find the Seaworld area very relaxing yet close to many activities and a short bus ride to Disney - these hotels will often offer really big discounts - more so than the Lake Buena Vista area hotels (not as much demand I guess) - they offer good amenities at a really budget price. I have seen the Double Tree hotel at Seaworld on sites (like hotwire/lastminutetravel) in the $50/range even with the $5 resort fee - a bargain.

And of course a lot more room or poshness for the money - places like Sheraton Vistana offer great space for larger families and renting a car on hotwire or priceline which I have done for as little as $6.95/day can make it totally worth it financially and space wise. You can get really good deals booking hotels on sites like hotwire, priceline and lastminutetravel if you are willing to take the risk and do due diligence. I have booked Hilton DTD, Hilton Bonnet Creek, Sheraton Vistana and Hawthorne Suites this way and have been really pleased - plus have seen the Waldorf Astoria for as little as $129/night - which honestly can make it totally worth it.

By the time you add up the airport transfer fees for off-site hotels, daily internet fees and losing on-site benefits...

As someone asked earlier, WHAT onsite benefits? I avoid EMH, I don't send packages back to the room (just did that at Disneyland to try it out, and the toy was broken by the time I picked it up!), and we've had "meh" to *lousy* experiences with their transportation, so...

The closest to offsite for WDW we've gotten is staying at Universal. Which are way better hotels with WAY more benefits (useful ones!) than WDW. So if Universal ever opens a timeshare with the same benefits the hotels give, you'll see us selling our DVC quickly and buying in there. I'd MUCH rather stay at Universal and commute each day to WDW than do the opposite.

There are SO many cool looking hotels around WDW! Have you ever looked around? Well, if you're taking DME, probably not. But we rent a car, and have the chance to drive by some of those places...they look like FUN!

We are a small family that has had a long-term family bed, so we *could* be comfy in a tiny room, but if we don't have to, why go for the tiny rooms?

We're about out of DVC points until 2015, LOL, so you might just be seeing us at Windsor Hills (Hills? Windsor something, at least) in a HUGE house with our own pool....ahhh, that's living.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter