Why did your parents name you the name you have?

I knew a Mackenzie (he also went by Kenzie) who was about 20 in the mid eighties. He was a cutie, too. :)
:D well it sure seems it has become much more popular over the years and has switched to more females versus males..I was born in '88 for reference.

Mack was my nickname when I was younger but it switched to Kenzie (which I prefer now) when I was in middle school and has stuck ever since.

My in-laws at least via text say Mac...I really don't like that spelling and had told them 9 years ago when I met them how I like it (mack vs mac) but ya know in the grand scheme of things it's no big deal especially when some of my own family members don't spell my name right on cards lol.

My middle name (Estelle) has been the middle name of the first born daughter for several generations. My great-grandmother was adopted and both her adoptive and maternal mothers had the middle name Estelle, not sure if it goes back more than that. My first name just went along well with it.

My full name is very formal, sounds nice when said out loud, and looks great on my diploma. But I haven't gone by Elizabeth since kindergarten when I decided it was too much work to write that out on every valentines card. So Liz I became

Last edited:
My dad named one of his sisters (she's only 3 years older than I am) and me the same first name, Diane. My middle name is my mom's first name and my paternal grandmother's middle name, Elizabeth. Both my grandmother and mom went by Betty. The brother right under me was named after my dad and maternal grandfather. One other brother was named after my dad's best friend and godfather to 7/8 of us (my mom only wanted 2 kids and my dad wanted 6 so they had 8!) the rest weren't named after anybody just names my parents liked. One of dad's brothers married a Diane also so there were 3 of us! The one by marriage has the same middle name as I do and since I never got married we still have the same name. Growing up we were referred to as Mrs. Diane, Big Diane and Little Diane. Then Big Diane became Diane C and I was just Diane. I kind of got to name my youngest brother. My parents couldn't decide between Michael Douglas or Douglas Michael. I thought Douglas sounded like a distinguished name and there were so already many Michaels around so he became Douglas Michael.

My parents just liked the name Angela. I wasn't named after any family member or TV or film star. Years later, my mother told me if I had been a boy I would have been named Anthony.

I was named Kristen after a young Swedish girl the my mom took care of when she was in high school. Not many Cuban Kristens at school growing up, so it was nice to feel different!

I was named after the main character of a book my mother read when she was pregnant with my older brother.
My daughter is named after a main character of a short novel, I read in 6th grade.

My dad is a big fan of all things Shakespeare - and of all the female characters to choose from, dear old dad chose Katherine from The Taming of the Shrew :rolleyes:

It was my go to defence during my teenage years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter