• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why did your parents name you the name you have?

my parents really had a debate on who I would be named after. Because I was a boy my dad won out and I was named after him "Francis". If I was a girl I would have been named after my mother...."Frances"

No idea why my parents chose my name. My middle name is my dad's name.

My wife changed her middle name to her maiden name once we got married. She didn't want to hyphenate her name, but wanted to keep her maiden name in some form.

I'm the 7th generation on my mom's side with my 1st name. My dd is the 8th. My middle name is my maternal great grandparent's last name. Dd's middle name is common in both my family and dh's family. I go by a nickname of my 1st name and dd goes by a nickname of her middle name.

It was the only girl name they could agree on. :) They were both teachers, so lots of names had bad connotations. My name was the same as a student my dad really liked and my mom didn't hate it. My middle name "matched"it. That's why my kids have real reasons behind their names.:tongue:

My parents were told I was going to be a boy and had the name Eric Alan picked out. Well surprise I was a girl! They never even thought of a girl name. Eventually they settled on Stephanie. When they were filling out the birth certificate paperwork, the nurse asked what my name was. When my mom told her it was Stephanie, the nurse replied that she didn't think I looked like a Stephanie, that I looked like a Vanessa. So, that became my name.

My mom had an infant sister named Jackie who died at 3 months. Also, Jacqueline Kennedy was very popular since JFK had died the year I was born. My parents are/were French native speaking and Jacqueline flows so nicely in French.That's how I got named Jackie.

Have to admit, I'm not enjoying reading the posts where people don't reveal their names. No fun.

Well at first I was named after my grandfather o_O. Everyone thought I'd be a boy. After they convinced my mom that she did indeed have a baby girl I was momentarily without a name. Then the debate started.

My mom picked a name from her favorite movie (she had a crush on the male lead) but my dad didn't like the name. Then she picked a different name but same initial only one of his military school buddies who was a linebacker had the same name (one of those ambiguious names) so no.

Finally my dad picked another name with the same initial, my mom said yes on two conditions. 1 I could never be called by the common nickname associated with it and 2 she kept the middle name that she picked to go with her first choice.

That all took a few days. I'm okay with my name and it's better than being named after Tammy and the Bachelor. HaHa

My mom thought she was having another boy because she felt and carried the same as with my brother. She picked the name Michael. She hadn't thought of any other names so when I was born Michael became Michelle.

My first name, Elizabeth is my maternal grandmother's middle name plus Elizabeth Bennet is my mom's favorite literary character. My middle name, Mary is for several family members on both sides of the family.

My mom had an infant sister named Jackie who died at 3 months. Also, Jacqueline Kennedy was very popular since JFK had died the year I was born. My parents are/were French native speaking and Jacqueline flows so nicely in French.That's how I got named Jackie.

Have to admit, I'm not enjoying reading the posts where people don't reveal their names. No fun.

Yes, this thread is useless without knowing what the names are!

Great question BTW! My parents had no reason, just picked a name then a middle name that sounded right to go with it. Asked DH, same story. Come to think of it, we named DD and DS same way! Pretty boring I guess...

I was named after my mom's older sister who passed away when she was 18. My mom was 12 and almost died, too. They got typhoid fever while in Mexico. My aunt was named after my grandfather's sister in Spain. My name is in English, and I have always either gone by Mary Jo or Jo, and as an adult people started calling me MJ. All of my grandparents' kids were named after my grandfather's siblings. I met my relatives when I was 20, and there is a nice connection with them because I have a family name.

I am named after my paternal great grandmother, Lila. My first middle name was randomly chooses but my second one, Annette, is the same as one of my moms middle names.

I have no idea why they picked my name but it was the most popular name for several years around the time I was born.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter