Why did the mouse call me to upgrade my room?

Schneewittchen37

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

Just a curiosity question here.

The mouse called me yesterday to give me a free upgrade to my one night stay at Pop to Coronado Springs. Yes, I accepted.

Did the mouse just really want my room at Pop? Is Coronado Springs an empty, unpopular turd? Never stayed there before. Or is the crazy amount of money I'm spending there bearing some fruit?

Enjoy my variables:
1. We're AP holders, so we've visited a lot this year, we're on track for more than 30 days in WDW this year.
2. So far this year we've stayed a Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk, Pop and Boulder Ridge Villas.
3. Just got home from our last trip on Monday.
4. I've got 3 trips on the books - Christmas is 3 nights at the Swolphin, February is 1 night at Coronado and then 4 nights at Bay Lake Tower, and April is 6 nights at Beach Club.

For whatever reason, they need your room back. Probably because rooms at Pop are selling faster than rooms at CBR, or somebody needs a block or rooms at Pop, or whatever. Enjoy! I've never had an upgrade but would love for the mouse to give me a call!

This happened to me in Disneyland Paris. I agree with PP , its nothing to do with you personally , more about room and guest occupancy.

For me, in Disneyland Paris in February 2016 I booked a 2 bed room in Hotel New York. I was solo but this was the standard room at this hotel. Technically this room could sleep 4 people.

I was moved , for free, to a standard room at Disneyland Hotel, a 1 bed room.

Personally, unless it's at the Destino Tower, I prefer Pop over the regular CSR. Don't know what I would have done if the offer was made to me.

We had the same exact thing happen for our upcoming trip. Moved from 1 night pop to Coronado. I’m wondering if people were trying to book packages at pop so they moved us to a more empty resort to free up an entire week that my 1 night was hindering.

We had the same exact thing happen for our upcoming trip. Moved from 1 night pop to Coronado. I’m wondering if people were trying to book packages at pop so they moved us to a more empty resort to free up an entire week that my 1 night was hindering.
Likely there's some group booked at Pop and the group has called to extend their stay by a night. Change in flights, change in event date, who knows. Since the theme so far is single nights I'd suspect that's the reason.

I have been wondering if DVC is going to continue to separate the white card resale buyers from the blue card direct even more in the future. I'm especially thinking about the role this could play at the contract expiration. I know this is a loooong ways off, but humor me for a minute.

We own one contract, which is a 150 point resale at Boulder Ridge. We bought it in December 2016, so we could add another 25 direct to get a blue card.

I was never too worried about this because we don't go often enough for the Annual Pass to make sense, and the other perks are nice but not huge for us.

But...as I see what's happening with Riviera and the whole "legacy 14" resorts, I have started to wonder if blue card holders might get more privileges down the road when contracts expire in 2042. I'll be 68 at that time, and my kids will be 37 and 32. I think it's possible that we would want to have a decent option to renew or whatever it is that Disney decides to do.

So again, I know this is purely speculation. But...am I nuts to consider a $4,000 or so purchase to kind of buffer myself from this? I think I'd add at OKW or AKL for the extended expiration date. (We don't love Poly, GF or BLT...and adding at CC seems silly since we already own at BRV.) I'm thinking that at the very least, I'd get a contract extension (granted on a TINY contract) on the new points that would take me to age 83, which seems plenty long. :)

Interested in your thoughts! (And yes I know I should have done something about this a few weeks ago. But this is such a small number of points that the increase isn't huge.) Thanks in advance!
3 months before my trip? that must be a really bad problem. 🤮

No a schedules maintenance issue

It's also possible that the mouse is trying to open more availability for people seeking longer stays at the Pop. They have nothing to lose by making the offer to upgrade. The guest can say no or see it as favorable and take the switch. No hard feelings either way.

Pop is in very high demand right now, often regarded as the nicest value especially now that it has easy Skyliner and AoA. The Coronado has consistently been the cheapest moderate for 6 months now probably due to Skyliner resorts in that category taking demand away. There's many rooms to fill!

I'd be torn whether to take the offer. On one hand 'upgrading' to Coronado gives access to Gran Destino which looks fabulous to me. But would that be worth giving up my Skyliner access?

It's also possible that the mouse is trying to open more availability for people seeking longer stays at the Pop. They have nothing to lose by making the offer to upgrade. The guest can say no or see it as favorable and take the switch. No hard feelings either way.

Pop is in very high demand right now, often regarded as the nicest value especially now that it has easy Skyliner and AoA. The Coronado has consistently been the cheapest moderate for 6 months now probably due to Skyliner resorts in that category taking demand away. There's many rooms to fill!

I'd be torn whether to take the offer. On one hand 'upgrading' to Coronado gives access to Gran Destino which looks fabulous to me. But would that be worth giving up my Skyliner access?

For me, it was fine to switch from Pop to Coronado. I'm only staying one night. Literally, it's a place to crash when we roll in late at night. And get a muffin and a coffee in the morning. We'll either drop our bags with Bell Services and then take a bus to Epcot or if our room at Bay Lake Tower is ready, we'll take a ride share and dump our bags off ourselves and then monorail it to Epcot.....

If I'm lucky, the beds at Coronado are softer than the plywood pallets (beds) at Pop.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter