• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why bother calling it "The Holidays"?

Some activities are for children 12 and younger only. Unlike the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail where older guests are larger and could damage the equipment designed for kids, there is no real reason why a teenager or adult shouldn't be able to enjoy a makeover or decorate a cupcake.

If Disney wants to engage in age based discrimination to have kid-exclusive activities, then they shouldn't claim to be inclusive.
I'm gonna be honest, I don't really see what the big deal is in having a few kid exclusive activities and def wouldn't call it discrimination. Specially something like BBB, it seems like an experience designed for lil kids. Might be cool if they designed a dif one for teens and adults tho.

In my opinion... You are right, it is called "holidayS", but is mainly themed with colors, objects, snacks etc. we associate with Christmas while every major religion has some kind of celebration when the days get shorter and darker.

Disney doesn't want to rock the boat, so they try to do the bare minimum. They should either include more or go for a neutral middleground.

Similar to parents who do not want to paint a nursery blue for boys and pink for girls and then go for green or yellow.

If Disney wants to engage in age based discrimination to have kid-exclusive activities, then they shouldn't claim to be inclusive.

LOL. And if they let adults do BBB, then everyone would be complaining about how they can't get their kid an appointment, because every appointment is being booked up by grown adults. Plus, even though buying the costume is not a requirement for BBB, adults are not allowed to wear costumes in the parks and that would limit the appointment to just hair and makeup.

Also, age discrimination generally applies to employment opportunities and not "paying a fairy godmother's apprentice to shellack your hair into a bun and put a princess gown on you".

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really see what the big deal is in having a few kid exclusive activities and def wouldn't call it discrimination. Specially something like BBB, it seems like an experience designed for lil kids. Might be cool if they designed a dif one for teens and adults tho.

If Disney claims to be inclusive, it's hypocritical to arbitrarily exclude a group of guests from certain activities. When a certain group of people is being deprived of opportunities that are available to a another group of people, I'd call it discrimination.

Many other companies that have age-exclusive activities aren't trying to pander about being "inclusive". Something about Disney claiming they want everyone to feel included while explicitly not allowing some people to participate feels wrong to me.

My main point is that it seems like Disney doesn't genuinely want everyone to feel included. Excluding teenagers and adults is one example. Pricing out people with fewer financial resources can be another example. So when it comes to representation of certain holidays and cultures, it shouldn't be surprising that Disney probably won't do much beyond what is needed to tick their virtue signaling box.

Apologies if this post is controversial. I am a full Jewish Magic Key Holder. This is my first year having a Magic Key and the first time I visited the park during the "Holiday" season. I understand that I am part of the minority and the world is dominated by Christmas around this time of year. That is why I had hope for "Festival of Holidays" and "Holidays at the park" and "Small world Holiday". Hope that there would be some level of inclusion to Chanukah, one of the holidays at this time of year. However, all I saw was Christmas! Christmas! Christmas!

The only remnants of Chanukah I could find where 15 seconds of dreidels during the fireworks show, a mac and cheese "kugel" and festival of holidays and literally one shelf of items in all of the stores in the park. There also appeared to be a Klezmer band playing in the far corner of DCA for 30 mins. I went through small world holiday and did not see a single piece of Chanukah paraphanelia despite it being "Holidays around the world".

Of the very small collection of Chanukah themed items, I saw a Chanukah serving plate shaped like Mouse Ears in a window display, but could not find it in the store. Finally an assistant said the only had one available in the back. I asked if it was a popular item and he just said "its hard to keep in stock since its a weird shape". It was the shape of Mickey Mouse, something which there were hundreds of similar Christmas items.

Again, I know I am in the minority and shouldn't expect as much Chanukah stuff as Christmas , but there seems like so many missed opportunities. Why not have a take on Jelly donuts or latkes, common Chanukah food. Why not have a single Menorah in small world, where there are countless Christmas trees. Why not have more than one t-shirt that Jewish guests can purchase?

At this point, it's more offensive for them to call it "The Holidays" than it would be to call it "Christmas at Disneyland". If you are going to try to be representative of different cultures, at least make more than minimal effort to pander.
Hanukkah is represented. Please see:
Festival of the Holidays entertainment.
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/entertainment/disney-california-adventure/mostly-kosher/

I think Disney can always do more. Perhaps do what EPCOT does but do it for DCA. But if people of Jewish faith represent less 3% of the country's population, Disney is doing more than other businesses do.
Like I said before, Complain to Disney.

Last edited:
If Disney claims to be inclusive, it's hypocritical to arbitrarily exclude a group of guests from certain activities. When a certain group of people is being deprived of opportunities that are available to a another group of people, I'd call it discrimination.

Many other companies that have age-exclusive activities aren't trying to pander about being "inclusive". Something about Disney claiming they want everyone to feel included while explicitly not allowing some people to participate feels wrong to me.

My main point is that it seems like Disney doesn't genuinely want everyone to feel included. Excluding teenagers and adults is one example. Pricing out people with fewer financial resources can be another example. So when it comes to representation of certain holidays and cultures, it shouldn't be surprising that Disney probably won't do much beyond what is needed to tick their virtue signaling box.
I actually think Disney goes above and beyond in making adults (even those without children) feel welcome in situations across their parks. I will respectfully disagree that having an activity designed for–therefore limited to–children is ageist. Additionally, I find it offensive to equate an age limit at BBB to "discrimination."

Imagine how much money Disney could make on an adult BBB.... A lot of girls/women who would love to have a proper princess dress and hairdo (or better: wig) and then have a photoshoot. There are places in Japan (non-Disney) where they offer these kind of make overs. Could definitely work here.

Set up a photo studio in a conference room at one of the hotels, and go go go!

Imagine how much money Disney could make on an adult BBB.... A lot of girls/women who would love to have a proper princess dress and hairdo (or better: wig) and then have a photoshoot. There are places in Japan (non-Disney) where they offer these kind of make overs. Could definitely work here.

Set up a photo studio in a conference room at one of the hotels, and go go go!
Exactly! Princess for a Day! Something actually geared towards adults and not adults doing BBB like we are 6 years old. That's honestly just awkward.

There are so many things to do at Disney that lil kids can't do, let them have BBB and decorating a cupcake.

Inclusion

Though Small World for sureeeeee has more then one Holiday included and they have a Jweish Band at DCA....so there are other Holidays there Christmas is just the most focused on one because money, lights and so on

Some activities are for children 12 and younger only. Unlike the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail where older guests are larger and could damage the equipment designed for kids, there is no real reason why a teenager or adult shouldn't be able to enjoy a makeover or decorate a cupcake.

I actually agree a bit on this one. Mainly because I have an autistic son with a developmental disability. He's 10 years old now but still loves things geared towards much younger children. And I suspect the same will continue to be true as he ages. And there are actually a lot of things that, developmentally, he can't participate in just yet but probably would be able to do when he's older. But by the standards, he will have "aged out" and be unable to.

People have been saying "Happy Holidays" and talking about the "holiday season" forever though. It's not a recent way to refer to this time of year at all.
Good point. And lets not forget the age-old "Seasons Greetings!" I've heard that one my entire life (and I ain't "young") and I'm sure it goes back ages before then too.

The Coco section dancers of the parade aren't very Mexican either but at this point we are very used to it unfortunately.

What do you mean by ageism in activities??

You bring up a good point...I've thought about this one as well and even outside of Disney with popular media. Are ethnic characters always played by people of that exact ethnicity and/or how hard do the studios, Disney, casting, etc. try to seek out and invite to audition, the exact ethnicity of the characters being portrayed? In my head I'm thinking of what if Mulan came out to meet/greet for photo ops and could speak fluent Mandarin with park visitors (well, those that speak Mandarin), ha ha :D

Exactly! Princess for a Day! Something actually geared towards adults and not adults doing BBB like we are 6 years old. That's honestly just awkward.

There are so many things to do at Disney that lil kids can't do, let them have BBB and decorating a cupcake.
Maybe it will happen one day. Disney finally caught up with the Etsy trend and now has their shirts with puns and wordplay. Maybe it will start by having their own princess party company.

The percentage of Jewish people in the US is 2.2%. If I was living in a country where 2.2% were Christian, it wouldn’t occur to me to ever complain that there wasn’t enough celebration of Christmas.
That's not really the point, Disney says 'holidays' to give the impression they include other holidays, but then doesn't really add other holidays. If you raise expectations, then people are going to expect something.

Last edited:
You bring up a good point...I've thought about this one as well and even outside of Disney with popular media. Are ethnic characters always played by people of that exact ethnicity and/or how hard do the studios, Disney, casting, etc. try to seek out and invite to audition, the exact ethnicity of the characters being portrayed? In my head I'm thinking of what if Mulan came out to meet/greet for photo ops and could speak fluent Mandarin with park visitors (well, those that speak Mandarin), ha ha :D
Mmmh well, I wasn't referencing the ethnicity of the dancers, gods know we Mexicans come in all colors haha. My comment was made in regards to the costumes, should have been a bit more specific.

These costumes specifically, that are based on bullfighters:

1702063212638.png1702063407194.png

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice and I love the skirt transformation buuuut bullfighters are originally from Spain so it's not very accurate representation, and honestly there are so many beautiful traditional Mexican dresses that they could have used for this and they went the easy research-less way.

1702063777714.png1702063825065.png 1702063862197.png1702063944346.png1702064020328.png

----
This of course doesn't apply to the Moana dancers, it was a bit strange to see a very very blonde guy in that outfit I admit.

Mmmh well, I wasn't referencing the ethnicity of the dancers, gods know we Mexicans come in all colors haha. My comment was made in regards to the costumes, should have been a bit more specific.

These costumes specifically, that are based on bullfighters:

View attachment 816330View attachment 816331

Don't get me wrong, they are very nice and I love the skirt transformation buuuut bullfighters are originally from Spain so it's not very accurate representation, and honestly there are so many beautiful traditional Mexican dresses that they could have used for this and they went the easy research-less way.

View attachment 816332View attachment 816333 View attachment 816334View attachment 816335View attachment 816336

----
This of course doesn't apply to the Moana dancers, it was a bit strange to see a very very blonde guy in that outfit I admit.
Wow, bullfighters? I'm not sure whether to chuckle nervously, raise an eyebrow or what. I am suddnely reminded of the "Chinese New Year 'parade'" I witnessed at my middle school back in the mid-80's where the school principle was carted around in a school maintenance vehicle wearing...yes, a KARATE uniform, whilst waiving a red envelope in his hand.

Did you stretch before making this reach?

That's not really the point, Disney says 'holidays' to give the impression they include other holidays, but then doesn't really add other holidays. If you raise expectations, then people are going to expect something.
They *are* including other holidays, just not enough to OP's liking.
1. They include Hanukkah in the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks show
2. They have a band playing Hanukkah music
3. They play Hanukkah music over the PA in DCA, and on Mater's
4. They sell Hanukkah merchandise
5. They offer a twist on Hanukkah food at the Festival of Holidays booths
5. They offer baked items in Hanukkah colors
6. They have Hanukkah crafts
7. They have a description of the history of Hanukkah (and other holidays) in DTD.
8. They have Hanukkah themed store windows.
9. They include Hanukkah on the Festival of Holidays flags, table covering and on the Sip & Savor pass.
10. They include Hanukkah on the Festival of Holidays merchandise.
11. They even offer Hanukkah Disney Parks wallpaper for your phone.

1702073893201.png

1702074302578.png

1702074103436.png

1702074524969.png

1702075703063.png

1702140221133.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter