Why being a kid sucks

My parents were kids on farms in the 1920s-,1030s. Up at 4:00 am to feed and milk cows, gather eggs, eat and walk to school. After school they had to work in garden and on farm. It was work or don't eat.

I was a kid in the 1950s. My parents owned several retail/food type businesses. My dad believed that any dollar paid to someone outside the family was a dollar the family didn't have. We were put to work by age 10 - cleaning, answering phone, stocking and later into customer-facing jobs.

My children were kids in the 1980s-1990s. We lived in burbs so lots of yard work, dog walking, and babysitting jobs. Later umpiring at rec center, weekend work at church, and construction jobs in the summer.

Kids who want freedom without having to work for it don't get a lot of sympathy from me. Get a job.

I'm REALLY getting tired of the adult stuff.

You're 17, if I recall correctly, EN. I can still recall, thankfully, those years of my youth. I kind of felt like you do, as I think many (most) your age feel. My eldest grandson is about your age. Kind of feels similar, at times. Not often, but yes, at times. All normal.

You'll legally be an adult very soon, 18 in most states. Looking backwards from my perspective today, it kind of takes till maybe 25-30 to sort of be a 'real adult'. Along with being adult comes a lot of responsibilities, which typically never go away from that point forward. Trust me though, being an adult is not all a bummer and bleak. Many good things happen along your life's journey, EN. Really does.

But, I will say, my teen years were really were quite tumultuous. If I could go back today, I would like to think I'd be a nicer person. Some not so good years back then.

Stay the straight and narrow, EN. Do and act as you think is right. You'll be an adult soon enough, and you can't go back for a redo. Do it right, I know you can, I know you will.

Dan

I knew I had a good thing going when I was a kid. I never wanted to be a grownup. But, life happens.

And I'm still not sure I want to be a grownup.

If you think being a kid sucks, I can't wait to hear what you think about old age! However, I really can't wait! Think about that.

You can't do anything. Want to go somewhere? You can't. You're stuck at home. Want to go to bed whenever you want? Too bad, your parents tell you to go to bed at 10pm. Want to eat something else other than what your parents fixed? Too bad, you're still going to eat it.
@ElevationNotice:
Someone upthread said you're 17 years old. If what you say is true, then some things have to change.

For starters, your parents should include your input in their meal planning. Not necessarily every day, but at least a couple of times a week. If you're not too afraid to say anything--and I have no idea what your home life is like--then perhaps you could mention to them that you'd like to pick out the meals on Tuesdays and Fridays or something like that. You're part of the family too, and your preferences should be honored.

Seventeen seems quite old to have a fixed bedtime. What if you have to stay up late studying for an important test? Or finish writing a paper? Or you just want to talk to a friend? When I was in my teens, I stayed up late a lot and there was really nothing my parents could do about it. It's not like they can make you sleep.

Those are just some random thoughts. But, really, I think, EN, that you should start asserting your preferences. Do it in a kind way, but there's nothing wrong with being your own person and having your own preferences and needs.

At some point in the not-distant future, you're going to be on your own, so learning how to rely on yourself now is good practice. And please consider getting a part-time job, which would contribute greatly to your autonomy and sense of self-worth.

@ElevationNotice:
Someone upthread said you're 17 years old. If what you say is true, then some things have to change.

For starters, your parents should include your input in their meal planning. Not necessarily every day, but at least a couple of times a week. If you're not too afraid to say anything--and I have no idea what your home life is like--then perhaps you could mention to them that you'd like to pick out the meals on Tuesdays and Fridays or something like that. You're part of the family too, and your preferences should be honored.

Seventeen seems quite old to have a fixed bedtime. What if you have to stay up late studying for an important test? Or finish writing a paper? Or you just want to talk to a friend? When I was in my teens, I stayed up late a lot and there was really nothing my parents could do about it. It's not like they can make you sleep.

Those are just some random thoughts. But, really, I think, EN, that you should start asserting your preferences. Do it in a kind way, but there's nothing wrong with being your own person and having your own preferences and needs.

At some point in the not-distant future, you're going to be on your own, so learning how to rely on yourself now is good practice. And please consider getting a part-time job, which would contribute greatly to your autonomy and sense of self-worth.
Last online at 12:50am this morning, so the bedtime seems a bit flexible already.

@ElevationNotice:

If he gets to pick out the food, he should also help pay for it and cook it, IMO. A 10 o'clock bedtime is reasonable for a teenager who should be getting 8-9 hours of sleep. Getting up between 6AM-7AM for school, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter