Why are renovations so long?

Accident

DIS Veteran
I completely get that some have major inspections, reworks and everything and they just need to be down longer. I wouldn't expect a coaster getting fixed up to be fast and don't think it should.

but when you look at something like hall of presidents, what exactly takes so long that requires the attraction to be closed at the same time? I get there is permits and things that probably need to happen for adjustments. It seems like more work could happen before they do the actual closer so it's slipping in the changes, fixing up the place and doing the finishing touches.

Wasn't disneyland built in a year originally? I'm missing something or they just don't care.

Hall of presidents only goes down every 4-8 years depending on when a new president is elected into office. The attraction is very old and doesn't receive the shorter refurbs that many other attractions receive. The HoP is adding a new animatronic but they also have to make sure the rest of the animatronics flow and move naturally. They have to re-work the story since the new president will speak and I'm sure they work on the theater replacing seats, carpet and lighting.

This attraction only goes down once every 4-8 years. All of the animatronics need to be serviced, cleaned, and repaired. In addition some (including this year I bet) of these include a complete or near complete revamp of the show requiring everything to be blocked, programmed, and tested. Everything from lighting cues to movement and sound cues need to rewritten tested and adjusted based on how they work in the real space. It is like producing a one act play where all the actors are robots who need to be taken apart and then rebuilt before you can start rehearsal.

I didn't realize they overhauled every animatronic so they last another 8 years in operation so that makes sense.

The rest, they could do it differently while it wasn't down to make the close shorter. It might be WHY they go down so long but for that stuff only, they could do better. (which is not the case, I would take that long to reno it also if it was down for another reason which you mention it is.)

Also for HOP, there may be a complete overhaul of the show. They may decide that a different character will have a speaking part (at one time it was Lincoln) and there is usually a change in narrator.

The 7 dwarfs can only work so fast. Now if we can get them to reduce their hi ho march :duck:

I have a feeling the extensive length of time required to do anything at Disney it's just a reflection of the overall construction/maintenance feels all over the US. So especially evident in the construction of new buildings. Look at the Pentagon for instance,building was built in one year it just the rehab of it after 9/11 took over 5 years!

The time it took to build the Empire State building was also very short compared to how long it took to build WTC-1. Even though the equipment and technology for construction has greatly advanced the time to build buildings has also gotten longer! It really doesn't make any sense.

Disneyland isn't a great model to invoke. Refurbs generally take longer there and are more comprehensive, because TDA doesn't fear taking rides out of commission for months or a year at a time since locals can easily come back later.

Why does it matter? Folks complain about the condition of rides and then complain because they're down for rehab. Can't have it both ways. I'm certain that WDW doesn't take rides out of circulation needlessly.

it doesn't matter, I'm just really curious about theme park engineering. Some things don't seem as efficient as they could be and makes me wonder how much waste gets turned into higher prices we need to pay.

Part of it is a different environment.

As in the wealth of information or misinformation now out there that anyone can see/read. Like the disboards and wdwmagic...for instance. So we "know more" know and it creates angst.

But part of it is that they play a shell game with their customers and Wall Street for financial purposes.

It used to be that they felt an obligation to add to go with their prices and to accomplish longterm expansion goals. That ended.

Avatar is the prototype example: they "announced" when they had NOTHING and no intention of getting substantial work done. It was just BS to try and counter the Harry Potter land that I believe. - still - shocks them that they both "lost" and that it was done well on the schedule it was. It was a "Waterloo" moment for competition in that market. "New fantasyland" looks like a minor rehab in comparison. It wasn't enough. And what they've done since has changed the game.

But it's clear that the commitment to "acheivement" as part of their core philosophy isn't there any longer. It's nothing but structured investment...no impetus to shock or excite. It has NOT always been that way.

Pleasure island left to rot for close to a decade...tacky closures at Epcot and overextensions well beyond taste at MGM. And...this is huge...a general lack of attempting to innovate with new attractions. Lots of flat rides and simulators...nothing relatively cutting edge. That was NOT the way it's always been.

I'm a "sage"...to be kind...but it's really hard to make the case they give much of a damn anymore. All their recent or ongoing additions seem to be only for capacity...not creating anything "iconic" that will create lifelong fans. It's like pulling teeth.

And when I get the standard "don't ruin my fun" or "they're still so much better"...it ignores that they are primarily still pulling off the 70's and 80's construction. That will not be the case forever. Evolution cannot be stopped.

Last edited:
ok I should have used how much better universal is at it.

They pay to get things done...

In the early Comcast ownership the standard "response" was "well...it takes us so much longer because of our quality"

That bucket has a hole in it and holds no water anymore. The list of what universal has done...albeit starting at a low point where investment made the most sense...over the last 8 years or so is ridiculous. They don't fear the rat and they have deep pockets that they're wielding to take it to them. We'll see what volcano bay brings...if they hit a home run there it's only gonna make things worse for those that are "real proud" of that mine train...

Advances in technology have reduced building time; however, safety and environmental rules and regulations protecting job-site workers have slowed things down. One example would be the installation of overhead fire sprinklers. Seems easy enough to just run piping under the ceiling and technology should make some aspects easier than in the past. OSHA now mandates a safety officer oversee the installation and that workers use scaffolding and not just a folding step ladder. Safety harnesses and other protocols must be used. All of this has doubled the number of man-hours, as well as number of workers, required to install an overhead fire sprinkler compared to 15 years ago.

Tokyo Disneyland has been quietly removing lead paint and asbestos from their rides and buildings during refurbishment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter