Why are people so selfish?

PixieDustFanatic

Mouseketeer
So, we are at Hollywood Studios tonight and it's very busy. We waited in the designated area for the Star Wars show to start. Just as it starts, this woman steps in front of my ten year old and another little boy and taped it on two phones, two!! Blocked several people's view the entire time. I said, "hey, thanks for blocking everyone during the show". She said "oh you're welcome...you're at Disney, what do you expect". Is it too much to ask to show a little common courtesy. Or at the very least. Apologize? Ugh. #selfishcowIMG_0692.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 25
I guess, like the obnoxious woman, I am surprised that you are surprised.

As I read here, oh so many times, as long as it isn't against the rules, it is okay.

Yes, it is obnoxious. Yes, it annoys. But, really, this is what it has come to.

I'm sorry you had that experience. I would have moved my children into a better position, like in front of her :-)

But I also would have tapped her on the shoulder right away, saying that I'm sure she didn't realize she was blocking the children's view and if she could move I would appreciate it.

Now, after all that, if she stayed, yea, the audio wouldn't have been usable:flower3:

Last edited:
Did you try saying, "Excuse me. Would you mind moving over just a bit so my son can see? He was really excited for this."

I know people are oblivious and rude, but a lot of the time they just don't realize it. If you ask them politely and directly to move or whatever, at least sometimes, they will.

I know I tend to react negatively when someone says something passive aggressive to me instead of just nicely asking me to please do whatever they would like me to do.

Yes I totally agree with this. Not directly commenting on the OP's situation where it may not have been possible, but when possible I do believe a friendly comment works most of the time.

Did you try saying, "Excuse me. Would you mind moving over just a bit so my son can see? He was really excited for this."

I know people are oblivious and rude, but a lot of the time they just don't realize it. If you ask them politely and directly to move or whatever, at least sometimes, they will.

I know I tend to react negatively when someone says something passive aggressive to me instead of just nicely asking me to please do whatever they would like me to do.

Yes I totally agree with this. Not directly commenting on the OP's situation where it may not have been possible, but when possible I do believe a friendly comment works most of the time.

Definitely this. Friendliness helps a lot. Also wouldn't call her names myself...

Ok while I don't condone cutting in front of people, I have to say.......maybe I want video/photos I took to show family and friends back home. Not just a "googled" one. Much like the old days of slides from vacation. Maybe I want to send it to friends? I'm still watching it. What if I were actually just that tall and blocking the view with my big head? Should I be told to go elsewhere?

We are ALL paying guests there. We are all equal. If someone was there waiting in their place and did that, then you just deal with it.

I know a year or so ago I was trying to get crowd less shots of the Electrical Parade. I was in the spot I had staked out for a while, about 4 people back from front. I held up my camera to take crowd less shots and hear a woman say "just push them through her, they want to see." And a man say "but she is taking pictures!" And the woman says, "so!?!?!" And I turn around and it's 2 little kids that would not be taller than anyone else in front of me either. So the only way they would see would be either push all the way to the front, get on mom/dad shoulders or go elsewhere.

Today every wallpaper/screensaver I could possibly have is a perfectly framed shot of the big drum with Mickey and Minnie looking the same direction.......something I will never again see (unless I ever go to Disneyland).

We ALL want memories in some way shape or form. As long as we aren't cutting or shoving, it should be ok.

Same thing happened to us at Epcot, was first time there for some of us, in laws got us a prime spot for fireworks and while we were waiting there a family shoved our children out of the way to get the spot. While I was fuming as I don't put up with stuff like that the kids said to let it go which I did. But luckily for me karma took effect and a family of I would say 20 shoved up against them and harassed them the entire time of the show, I don't think I laughed so hard ever in my life. Now a days people think hey are owed anything and everything, and others don't matter there is no politeness, it drives me crazy because my grandparents told me to respect
People but you stand up for yourself too but you need to know when to do that. But what can you do these days if you say anything to someone who does something to you they become the victim all of a sudden.... ok I will stop now. But it's sad that stuff like this happens

Or it's time for the kids to sing, sing, sing M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E, Mickey Mouse ...and the Hot Dog Song. Oh kids, "it's Disney, what do you expect?" And smile, smile, smile. Nothing is more charming than watching video with someone else's kid belting out Mickey Mouse show tunes!

That's so sad to be so indifferent to people's feelings. I can see taking a few picture, but I agree, I don't get the video. It's like we're all watching life through our phones now.

While I agree it was rude and unnecessary, so was referring to her as a selfish cow. It's unfortunate, it's not common courtesy, but nowadays people rarely have respect for others. I work at a movie theater and deal with the "all about me mentality" on a daily basis. People simply don't care about anyone else anymore. It's quite sad.

I said, "hey, thanks for blocking everyone during the show".

You weren't exactly the nicest of people in the way you approached the problem. In my mind, you were both in the wrong here and I'm not surprised you got a rude response back to a rude comment.

I have no problem getting anyone to lower their arms a little just showing some respect letting asking if there is any other way they can hold it up as it's blocking my view. Same with a child getting put on their shoulders.

I would have told her to move. If she didn't, I would have walked in front of her two cameras & blocked her view.

I will never understand the allure of watching a LIVE event on your phone when you could actually watch THE SHOW! These shows always end up on youtube. If you need to watch it again, simply go there. There is nothing like watching the actual event!

One of those mysteries of life. I don't even get mad about it, I laugh actually. People are just incapable of living in the moment. I feel the same way about people who take pictures of every single artifact in a museum. Really odd behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter