• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why are mods so booked up?

Deanie1

DIS Veteran
About 10 days ago, I wanted to book a mod resort for Nov 27 to Dec 6. CBR and CSR were completely booked up for my dates. I tried to book POR preferred but the preferred, garden and standard views were all booked so I ended up with a pool view room. I thought this was at a quieter time - if there is anything such thing anymore. I thought booking at 8 months was lots of time but i guess I was wrong. Do you guys think WDW has blocked rooms off from CBR and CSR because of the renos? Any other ideas?

Hhmmm, now you have me wondering about my dates, i haven't booked my flight yet so I could change still. Oct is getting so busy now with the Food and Wine that I thought this may be a good time to go.

I've been trying to book a moderate for our June trip for about the last 6 weeks... before the construction was announced at CSR & CBR... the only thing showing was the cabins. I was able to book CBR/King room for our dates, but that is the only moderate availability for our full stay. I keep checking everyday.

We went similar dates to you in 2015, and the crowds were higher than I thought but still not terrible. We had a great trip.

A lot of sites have this as the lowest time of the year. We are booked for 11/27 as well. We were there during Pop Warner last time we went. Not a big deal but will lower rooms at mods especially CSR. We had a great time with low crowds from 12/12-12/19 on 2014. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh good, KimBean, i feel much better now. We were at WDW at this time in 2012 and the crowds were very manageable and the weather was great for park touring but cool for the pools in the evenings.

A lot of sites have this as the lowest time of the year. We are booked for 11/27 as well. We were there during Pop Warner last time we went. Not a big deal but will lower rooms at mods especially CSR. We had a great time with low crowds from 12/12-12/19 on 2014. I wouldn't worry about it.

A week makes a huge difference. I always try to go around the 10th of December. The week prior is the week my friends go and they told me the parks were very crowded.

@Deanie1 - I was there the ;sat week in November thru the 1st week in December on 2012 and found that the crowds were fine once the Thanksgiving visitors left on Sunday, but th elast two years I have heard the first week of December is busy woth POP warner.

We just went Thanksgiving Day 11/24 to 12/03 last year and we thought it was very manageable and the weather was nice. We stayed out of the parks the first couple of days to avoid the Thanksgiving crowd.

We liked it so much we are going back this year at the same time!

We went the week after Thanksgiving last year (arrived the Tuesday after), and during the week, the crowds in the parks were great...but noticeably bigger on Friday afternoon and Saturday (Tue through Thursday was great). That Tuesday, five of us walked into Trader Sam's at Poly around 6:00 and the place was maybe (maybe) half full. We were seated right away, and our bartender at Trader Sam's commented that the week after Thanksgiving was the slowest time for them of the year...but that's at a Deluxe, so they're not filled with the teams they way mods/values are.

The weather was AMAZING. We didn't find it too cool for the pools until the weekend, but my family are the kind that has a high tolerance for going into pools during pretty cool weather :) .

Last edited:
I went the Tuesday after thanksgiving last year for a week. Other than the Saturday after, it was very manageable for crowds. The Saturday at MK was horrible though.
Don't let people scare you, it is a great time of year to go.

A week makes a huge difference. I always try to go around the 10th of December. The week prior is the week my friends go and they told me the parks were very crowded.

@Deanie1 - I was there the ;sat week in November thru the 1st week in December on 2012 and found that the crowds were fine once the Thanksgiving visitors left on Sunday, but th elast two years I have heard the first week of December is busy woth POP warner.

Well I hope not. I believe I referenced 6 calendars, touring plans, josh, firstvisit, dads, kennys and UT and all had the start of 11/27 as much lower than when I went previously on 12/12. It's the whole reason I booked that time. I was there for Pop Warner in 2014 and never saw them in the parks. Just at CSR. If you are big resort people sure more crowded at pools and resort restaurants but we are in the parks. Still a start of 12/12 wasn't bad but we went then and are going this time for 10 days. So that took us to 12/21 which was too close to Christmas. Last two days were crowded.

We are planning a trip for the same time as well - week after Thanksgiving. I planned on staying on site, but we've changed plans and are staying in Disney Springs. We usually go at the end of January. I wonder if anyone can tell me how the crowds compare to that time of year? Everything I read said it's a good time to go - I sure hope so. We're not big crowd people. Hopefully by staying off-site at the Doubletree we will avoid some of the Pop crowds. It says it's December 1st through 9th for the Pop Warner competitions.

With part of two resorts down for construction, CBR & CSR, and the exceptional jump in price to most of the Deluxes, I can see why the mods fill up fast. Plus, there are only 4 mods, CBR, CSR, POR, & POFQ; whereas, there are way more deluxes and the values are pretty large.

Well I hope not. I believe I referenced 6 calendars, touring plans, josh, firstvisit, dads, kennys and UT and all had the start of 11/27 as much lower than when I went previously on 12/12. It's the whole reason I booked that time. I was there for Pop Warner in 2014 and never saw them in the parks. Just at CSR. If you are big resort people sure more crowded at pools and resort restaurants but we are in the parks. Still a start of 12/12 wasn't bad but we went then and are going this time for 10 days. So that took us to 12/21 which was too close to Christmas. Last two days were crowded.

I hope so! Maybe the week before our arrival was an anomoly.

That's also the same time free dining was offered last year, so I'm sure tons of folks booked hoping to add that promo on when Disney releases it.

Everything is booked up, we tried to get 2 nights with Military discount for October and the CM couldn't believe nothing was available. They only had CL.

I'm currently booked at poly dec 4-9 and looked about changing to another resort but nothing available for us now(4 adults 1 child and 1 under 3). ...... only CL and Suites now at our favorites. so we will stay put at one of top favs . was hoping for a discount or whatever during that period but I don't think they will need to offer anything...

We went around this time back in 2015. It was interesting that when the buses passed by the TTC parking lot on Monday through Friday, there were almost no cars parked there! This made the parks very doable. Just an FYI, we went to the MK on Tuesday Dec. 2nd - Haunted Mansion, Barnstormer, Dumbo, Teacups, Carousel, and Small World were all walk ons.

I figure that this is a busy time of year for people staying in hotels due to cheaper rooms, less DVC points cost, the MVMCP, and all the cool holiday decorations. We noticed that lots of rooms really started disappearing around the 9 month mark.
On the flip side, it's a very slow time for visitors traveling to Disney for the day.
Once the weekend came though, things got very busy all over the place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter