• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who Wants To Try a DIS-Meet At Gulf State Park In May-June 2016?

I hate breaking camp in the rain, but we did a good job of packing on Friday. Glad we pulled in a few slides Friday night though. Yeti was fine last night (thanks for the prayers).

We are sort of home. Took 7 hours. We are at the park near the house. Disconected RAV4 with stuff took it home and brought back Prius. Put dogs in Prius, Bert is dropping at home and then will be back. We will then put the rig in storage and head home. Right now really thankful for our leftovers so we can eat when we get back.

Will try and put up some pics later.

Thanks dissers for the great time and the excellent food. It was terrific, time to diet again.

Welcome Nic, thanks for the corn recipe.

Welcome to the Disboard camping forum Nick.. Glad you came out of hiding.

Last edited:
Hey gang,

Wanted to let you know we made it home. 796 miles in right at 12 hours. We got into the rain between B'ham and Nashville and it rains off and on until I got within 50 miles of home. It's sunny and 70s here, but it's not the beach.

I'll get on latter and with more trip details. Now, it's time for some dinner and unloading. Then check in with work to see how the implementation is going.

j

Jim, glad yall have it home safely, 796 miles in 12 hours, man you wasn't cutting the 6.7 any slack! Have fun getting back into work schedule!

We had a while this after noon with no rain but it's setting back in now.

Guess what! We're all back out at Doc's Seafood Shack for dinner, we'll post how the food is later on, this place is a local seafood restaurant that been here for 20 or so years, supposed to be really good.

Assuming my medical issues clear up in time, we will be in there July 23rd thru thru the 30th. I am trying to move up a week but right now they are full so we will take what we have for now! Site 323 on possum road.
We're booked on site 63 third week in July so maybe see you then.

Rode the bike on some of the inner trails that are grass and dirt with small wooden bridges to get over the canals. Apparently the bridges are popular...
IMAG0378.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

Well, currently Randy, Nick, and myself with our families are at Doc's Seafood to try out the "famous fried shrimp".

We're booked on site 63 third week in July so maybe see you then.

Rode the bike on some of the inner trails that are grass and dirt with small wooden bridges to get over the canals. Apparently the bridges are popular...
View attachment 173324

View attachment 173325

Well, currently Randy, Nick, and myself with our families are at Doc's Seafood to try out the "famous fried shrimp".
That would great Tiggerdad I am trying to move it up a week.

Well this rain is ruining my good byes to most of our group. Nick, Randy and Michael. I hope to get up early and see y'all off in the morning. If I miss you please know it was a great honor to meet everyone and your families. We have enjoyed this week so much. The food and comererade was great. I everyone gets home safely. Keep in touch and I will make my reservation for the next meet this week.

Everyone,

Thanks for extending the invite last fall. We had a great time. Meeting everyone is always fun. And thank you for welcoming my niece and her boy friend. They were a little unsure of the whole DIS meet thing, but quickly figured out were weren't too weird. The ocean and beach were a big hit with them as well as seeing the whole GS area. I think we have turned them into "beach" people. Now we have to get them to the Fort so we can turn them into DIS fans.

Nic, welcome to the group on here. This place is nearly as fun as the time we had this week and it is pretty addicting.

Ed, sorry we didn't make it over to help on the puzzle. DW and my niece had beach and shopping plans most days, but it looks like you had plenty of help. And especially thank you for the magnet. I feel "official" now. It reminded me of Boy Scouts when we handed out the hiking badges or camp out patches.

Chris and Bert, it was great talking with you and meeting the furry kids. Glad Yeti is feeling better and you made it back home safe and sound. Good luck in January. ( You too, Ed)

Michael, Randy and Joe, you all feel like long lost friends that I just ran into after a long time apart. This is the second time I've met people from Internet forums where it feels like old friends getting back together. I appreciate all the hospitality, even if I didn't partake in some of the food. I really wasn't expecting the meals (Thanks Nic) and DW had other plans for our first nights there. I had a great time at the evening hang outs.

I don't know if we'll be able to make the trip next year since we are planning a trip to the Fort. If anyone is heading north for a camp out, let me know. 5-6 hour drives are manageable for a long weekend. Unfortunately 12 hour drives need to have a week inbetween them.

As I told Ed and a few others, we are seriously considering retiring to somewhere on the gulf coast. We really liked the Gulf Shores area and it will definitely be on our list. Too bad retirement is still 12 or 13 years away.

j

image.jpeg We spent the afternoon watching a local furniture store burn down. Ed, it was right behind the spot you stayed in a few months ago.

Aight, first off there may have possibly been the previously mentioned green light drag race. I am ashamed to report that the f-250 (still stock setup) had to calculate all the government restrictions, and thus fell a truck length behind by the second light.

Doc's was okay, I still preferred Randy's father's recipe though. Afterwards we stopped by Scoop's ice cream, a family tradition, to have our departure hot fudge sundaes.

Now we have finished packing so only need to hook up and flush the tanks.

Joe, we aren't planning on leaving out til around 9 or so so we'll for sure see you in the morning.

Tomorrow is the day we dread, departure day. It isn't as bad as leaving the Fort, but pretty close.

Doc's Seafood was pretty good, hard to beat fresh seafood from a local restaurant.

Made it back to the camper last night, hooked up the camper, I figured it would be raining this morning but it's nice just a few sprinkles, just have to pull in the sewer, power and water. right now I'm just sitting in my chair under the awning, Tiggerdad just walked out side so I'll get a cheap show this morning watching him hook up his bumper pull camper. We're not really rushing this morning, my DW is still sleeping.

Thanks again to everyone for coming and those of yall following our DISmeet at Gulf State Park, this is really a great state park, I'm lucky I'm only a hour or so away. Met some really nice people, Joe it's a shame we live 15 minutes apart and never met up before now. @Westbeach Bum if we can be any help when you go to build your Mickey Street Lamp let us know we'll give you a hand. Garneska, glad Yeti is doing better, my bunch and I was glad we were able to meet yall and the dogs, my DW has talked about how pretty Yeti is all week.

Bama_Ed, it's been nice being able to ride over to your site and work on the puzzle and talk about Disney and other camping trips, I think I may have to share some stories about the old days in the "3" seater Corvette.

Alright I'm going to go see if Tiggerdad needs any help with anything but his sewer hose.

I just got back from walking over to Randy and Michael's sites to say adios. Nic, you were tucked indoors but have a safe ride home too.

We will wait a few hours for the rain to clear up and move east of I65 before we start our drive north - we have 4.5 to 5 hours to get to the 'Ham. Jim, covering 800 miles in 12 hours is quite a feat even if one wasn't towing a trailer. Glad you made it home safe and I hope that your project has cut over without any major hiccups. Kris, glad you and Bert made it home yesterday too. Good luck with your training and you can laugh at me from behind the computer screen as I start mine in less than 30 days for the Full.

Joe, IIRC you have another week here at Gulf so relax and enjoy yourself. Hope you have great weather the rest of the time here.

WBB, enjoy the rest of your summer commuting back and forth between the Eastern Shore and the coast. You've got a good plan working there.

The nice thing about this meet is I don't feel sad about saying goodbye because the conversations will continue right here on the DIS Camping Board.

Bama Ed

PS - so who among us will be at the Fort next? I think WestBeach Bum and Flametamr both have Halloween time trips planned. Kris, will you be back soon? Ciao!

We will be back in November. We are staying for 12 days. I think it Nov 12 to 24. We drive back to Atlanta on thanksgiving day. It works not a lot of traffic and no construction.

I did 8 miles this morning. Now we have some stuff to put on eBay and a house to pack up.

Stacey/Gina, are you ladies crafters and if so do your kids enjoy it? I am trying to give away my old hand crank child's singer sewing machine. I am trying to find someone who will really love it. I enjoyed sewing with it as a child. I am keeping my real sewing machine even though I NEVER have time to sew.

Well I'm sitting on my mom's front porch now tell her her everyone enjoyed everything they cooked and she said that her and my dad enjoyed meeting everyone.

Jim, 76 miles, 1 hour 15 minutes later I'm in my driveway, eat your heart out, of course Joe will probably beat my time.

Here a couple pictures I snapped this morning...
20160605_074247_zpsbr61qwqk.jpg

"Why did the bunny cross the road?"
20160605_081513_zps87n6nu3n.jpg

Michael on his roof doing something to prepare his camper for Mach speeds back to Meridian.
20160605_100733_zpsgm7r1tfv.jpg

Northbound on the Baldwin Beach Express, Tiggerdad running front door, bump drafting traiffic.

Already looking forward to next year already. Ed, we might make a summer breakout trip to the Fort... just depends.

Happy to hear that all those who have headed home have made it safe and safe travels for those still on the road.
For all those posted and kept us updated THANKS for letting us tag along. Wish we could join next year but have a few more years to go before work status will allow for that. But I understand some of you will in attendance at The Fort Race weekend so maybe we'll cross paths then.

Just made it home. Thanks to everyone for all the hospitality you showed me and Judy. We sure enjoyed meeting all of you. We have booked for next year and are already ready for next year to be here.
Glad to here very one has made it home safe and safe travels to any one who still has to travel home. Sorry that everyone has to go back to the real world and back to work, but it sure was fun for the time we got to spend with everyone and can't wait to do it again. Sorry if I haven't answered you quick enough. I'm still learning how to work the board! And yes Micheal, I got Judy to proof read this for me!

Jim, covering 800 miles in 12 hours is quite a feat even if one wasn't towing a trailer. Glad you made it home safe. I hope that your project has cut over without any major hiccups.
The GPS said it should have been 11:12 hrs when we pulled out. Arrival to home time was listed at 6:05 PM. We pulled in the drive at 1856. We stopped for potty breaks twice at rest areas and once for lunch at a truck stop. I put $80 of fuel in to top off the main tank. The auxiliary tank wasn't draining right. It worked fine for the first 20 or 25 gallons, then it seemed to suck 1 gallon in for 1 gallon out of the main tank. It did this when I towed with the race team. I thought it was the check valve in the coupling. I gutted the check valve so it would just free flow in. I suspect it just runs in slower than I was burning it. I averaged 9.7 mpg until we got to Paducah. Picked up a pretty good west wind about then and most of the trip from there was mostly heading west. I dropped to 9.5 mpg in the last 150 miles. Damn wind! I'm going to try a shorter, larger diameter hose from the auxiliary tank to the coupler in the filler neck.

Ed- The implementation had a few hiccups. They didn't hand the system over to us until about 4am. It was supposed to have been 2030 last night. We had our users back up at 0440. There are other systems still struggling as of noon today. my 1300 on site meeting was pushed back to 4pm. It sounds like most systems are doing ok, house wide. We've been good on my systems since about 0830 this morning when the 29,000 backed up messages finally pushed through.

j

Sad thing is Randy pulled out of camp about 7 minutes ahead of me, and you see who had to take lead to "Dale Earnhardt" the way up the Express. Just wait, I'm looking for a set of air horns...

We made it home in just over 4 hours. Randy, I'll have to say that's the easiest I've ever gotten through Mobile. That Rav4 cut me off just before you and I went into the tunnel, but he learned his mistake I promise. It all went super, no backed up traffic, I actually caught all green lights through downtown Mobile. Then came highway 45, and that ignorant 2 lane traffic in Alabama. At one point Stacey counted 15 cars in front and 8 behind us in that logjam. When we topped the hill into Mississippi and saw the 4 lane the skies opened and Angels began singing. You could see the traffic getting jumpy in front of us like NASCAR coming down the stretch to start the race. When we made our way up to the source of the logjam it turned out to be a hopelessly under powered Chevy Trailblazer pulling a 18 foot camper. All the more reason for a four lane.

Well, gotta get unpacked. Tonight I'll get some pics up since i now have reliable wifi.

I am sure that there are many like me who followed along on this adventure, but never once made a peep or a post. But let it be known that I cannot put a price on the great entertainment I experienced lurking around the GSP Dis Meet on the board. Such nice people having a good time, and sharing with those of us who could not be there. Thanks ...... Priceless!!

We will be back in November. We are staying for 12 days. I think it Nov 12 to 24. We drive back to Atlanta on thanksgiving day. It works not a lot of traffic and no construction.

I did 8 miles this morning. Now we have some stuff to put on eBay and a house to pack up.

Stacey/Gina, are you ladies crafters and if so do your kids enjoy it? I am trying to give away my old hand crank child's singer sewing machine. I am trying to find someone who will really love it. I enjoyed sewing with it as a child. I am keeping my real sewing machine even though I NEVER have time to sew.

If you get a chance, PM me and I'll let Stacey take a look. When I mentioned it she said Emily would like it. Be even more reason to camp Stone Mountain next March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter