Who has Rented DVC Points

We rented points for our trip last October and I have to say, I don't think we will ever go another way again.

It was fabulous. We got a deluxe room for the price of a moderate but the thing I like most is the full kitchen in a 1 bedroom.

People's opinions on this vary greatly and you will really only know how it works for your family by giving it a shot but, for us, getting a room with a kitchen is well worth the money because it saves so much in food costs. For a family of 4 paying OOP for food (which we would do as the dining plan is just too much food and not worth it for us) I figure you can easily spend $250 in food at that is really just eating quick service meals. For the four of us we could easily spend $100 at a table service meal. My thought process generally goes something like this: "Ok, so renting a 1 bedroom villa with the full kitchen at SSR will cost $x more than a room at CBR or POR or whatever and I will save approximately $x on food so the total cost of the dvc room will cost $x less or more than a moderate while paying for food."

Sure, many people don't like to cook on vacation but it's worth it to me. We don't do fancy meals, usually quick easy things like grilling burgers one night, steaks another night, shrimp scampi one night, etc. We get a grocery delivery and feel it saves so much money. Add the benefits of more room to spread out, a nicer room, nicer amenities (like the pool), and a washer and dryer in the room and it's totally worth it for our family. Heck, even having things for breakfast and sandwich fixings for lunches will save you a ton.

I looked at David's and another I can't mention. The rates were the same. The unnamed one offers cancellation insurance. We paid on average $243 a night for Boardwalk Villas. deluxe studio. The normally go for about $450 a night. The savings was substantial.

We've been staying at Board Walk the better part of the last 10 years on DVC points, often for less per night than a Value would be. This is from a private DVC member, not through an agency so with no middle man the points are less expensive than they would be otherwise. We usually get a standard view studio and we rent 11 months out but this time these rooms were gone as soon as the window opened so we treated ourselves to a Garden View.

Bill From PA

It is more unusual than usual to be able to get certain room types, save as a premium rental via a private owner. Don't look at the point charts like they're all possible.

Grand Floridian Studio? Highly unlikely. It's a small resort with high owner competition for the lowest cost rooms.

BCV or BWV studio during Food & Wine? Difficult, especially a BWV Standard. Depends on your dates.

AKV Value or Club Level? To give you an idea, DVC owners can book at 11 months out. There are dates past February 10, 2017 where rooms are already unavailable -- and we aren't to 11 months yet. (Has to do with booking rules.)

BLT Standard Studios can be tough at some times of year as well.

"But," you say, "that seems to leave mostly Saratoga, Old Key West and Animal Kingdom!" Yes, yes it does, unless you're after 1BR or 2BR units, which are easier bookings at almost all resorts (but still, you aren't getting AKV Club or Value 99% of the time as a renter). Poly is competitive for rentals, as most Poly rentals occur at the 7 month window and at many times of year must be reserved by an owner promptly at 8AM 7 months out.

We've rented points for the last four years. We have found two owners on this site that we have rented from, both multiple times. It has saved us 50-60% and is the only way we can afford to stay deluxe. It's spoiled us! We also rented from David's several years ago and had a great experience too.

"But," you say, "that seems to leave mostly Saratoga, Old Key West and Animal Kingdom!" Yes, yes it does, unless you're after 1BR or 2BR units, which are easier bookings at almost all resorts (but still, you aren't getting AKV Club or Value 99% of the time as a renter). Poly is competitive for rentals, as most Poly rentals occur at the 7 month window and at many times of year must be reserved by an owner promptly at 8AM 7 months out.
Exactly, which makes these trips cost far more than a stay at a moderate, without a second regular bed and without the ability to cancel or change dates. I would only rent DVC points for the room that I want, just as I would only book any other resort reservation if I could get what I wanted.

It is more unusual than usual to be able to get certain room types, save as a premium rental via a private owner. Don't look at the point charts like they're all possible.

Grand Floridian Studio? Highly unlikely. It's a small resort with high owner competition for the lowest cost rooms.

BCV or BWV studio during Food & Wine? Difficult, especially a BWV Standard. Depends on your dates.

AKV Value or Club Level? To give you an idea, DVC owners can book at 11 months out. There are dates past February 10, 2017 where rooms are already unavailable -- and we aren't to 11 months yet. (Has to do with booking rules.)

BLT Standard Studios can be tough at some times of year as well.

Your posts really blasts DVC as a whole. If you don't care for the program why be a member? I wouldn't give up my ownership at the Grand Floridian for anything. It's beautiful and I've never had a problem securing a room. Also, I don't mean to sound rude. I just have a completely different view than you. Sorry!

Your posts really blasts DVC as a whole. If you don't care for the program why be a member? I wouldn't give up my ownership at the Grand Floridian for anything. It's beautiful and I've never had a problem securing a room. Also, I don't mean to sound rude. I just have a completely different view than you. Sorry!
I don't blast DVC as a whole. However, renters are unlikely be able to access the same benefits as owners on a consistent basis. Renting is NOT the same as owning.

I think you'd agree your home ownership at VGF is pretty important to get a studio there, assuming you're booking a studio. A renter coming in at 7 months viewing the point chart thinking "I can book the VGF and save a ton of money!" is likely to end up feeling like rental programs are fake or something, because the odds are never in their favor. (VGF studios are hard for no home-resort bookings. Too few of them. Same is true of AKV Club and Value. To rent into those room types, you need to rent direct-from-owner, with an arrangement in place before the 11-month window. Via David's or a broker, you will have a highly reduced chance at such rooms. Most VGF owners I know who rent do it privately, because they can get $15-16/point versus the payout through a broker.)

Ok, I understand where you are coming from but with a family of six I am limited as to where I can stay (even at the low rate hotels). We loved the Cars suite at Art of Amination. It did cost me more to stay there than it does to stay in a two room villa at VFG though. I got a deal on my contract and feel blessed to have received it!

Ok, I understand where you are coming from but with a family of six I am limited as to where I can stay (even at the low rate hotels). We loved the Cars suite at Art of Amination. It did cost me more to stay there than it does to stay in a two room villa at VFG though. I got a deal on my contract and feel blessed to have received it!
Oh, absolutely. And renting 2BRs is also often easier than renting into a studio, particularly the lowest-cost studio at any given property.

We rented points from a private owner on another board in October 2014 and we will never go back to regular rooms. That year we were supposed to get a VGF studio but Disney messed up the reservation so we happily ended up in a BWV 1 bedroom for the same price and it was awesome. This October we rented a studio at BCV. The price ends up being $215 a night so the savings is substantial.

When I first looked into renting-- it just seems that every one had points.. What I didn't know was its all about availabity and not the points.
So that was what I learned the first time. Second time we looked and I wanted the Beach Club- I learned to get that place you need to book 11 months out. So I did that next visit-- scored. I tied up my money for almost a year that visit. There is no mouse keeping. (trash and fresh towels on day 4) We are going again for Labor Day week and found an agency that beat renting points at the beach club by over 300. and I can make monthly payments instead

Do a lot of the rental sites offer travel insurance?

We've always rented directly from a DVC member, but got our travel insurance through Travel Guard. My mother-in-law is a travel agent and it's the company she recommended.

When I first looked into renting-- it just seems that every one had points.. What I didn't know was its all about availabity and not the points.
So that was what I learned the first time. Second time we looked and I wanted the Beach Club- I learned to get that place you need to book 11 months out. So I did that next visit-- scored. I tied up my money for almost a year that visit. There is no mouse keeping. (trash and fresh towels on day 4) We are going again for Labor Day week and found an agency that beat renting points at the beach club by over 300. and I can make monthly payments instead
Are you able to say on here where you rent and can make monthly payments?

BWV studio during Food & Wine? Difficult, especially a BWV Standard.
I had no trouble booking a BWV standard studio for late Sep. This was before the F&W dates were announced, which helped. I contacted the rental agency the very first day the room could be booked, at exactly the 11 month mark. I used a top-ranked competitor to the popular one here, easily found by using Google to search for DVC rental.

I had no trouble booking a BWV standard studio for late Sep. This was before the F&W dates were announced, which helped. I contacted the rental agency the very first day the room could be booked, at exactly the 11 month mark. I used a top-ranked competitor to the popular one here, easily found by using Google to search for DVC rental.
You got lucky. I own at BWV. Getting a std. studio during F&W is competitive right at the 11-month mark. You're out of luck and need to go on a waitlist if you're even a day late in trying to secure your booking. The agency that you used not only had to have a DVC member at the ready to try for your reservation, they also had to be an owner at BWV. That doesn't always fall so easily into place.

Last edited:
My parents rented a week in a poly studio for $12 per point. Booked at 7 months. No problem. Couldn't touch a room at Disney at rack or discounted rates for that price.

Rented the first time through a member for a deluxe resort and her behavior was very stressful so the next two times we rented through a broker mentioned here and it has saved us $3,000 each time for one week vacation. Best experience ever. One time, we did it short notice for summer with no issues and twice about 6 months in advance.

I heard people say that the rental store lets you do monthly payments. I don't know if its because of the type of rental or the place but I have yet to find where I can rent and pay monthly

I prefer the 3rd party vendor because at least I have some one to fight for me if there is a problem

I use Davids to see what my time will cost and use DVCRental-Store
they all charge the same 14 per point. davids wants a deposit in order to look for availability

I believe that the PP meant that their current deal is not renting points, but at an even lower rate and she is able to make monthly payments. Probably the annual Labor Day deal that one of the Disney agencies offers. I paid $191/night for beach club a few years ago using this agency. Not DVC - standard room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter