White Sauce

vacanut

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a good white sauce recipe to go over pasta?
I am looking for something different to make.

Sure, Ragu makes several, alfredo, roasted garlic, 4 cheese :rotfl: Just teasing, though those are good and quick and easy. I normally make a sauce with butter, flour and milk and whatever seasonings, like garlic, pepper, boullion, etc.

sorry I don't translate recipes very well, I'm more of a guy with a knack for cooking than a formally trained Chef

for a simple bechamel(white sauce, one of the mother sauces in the culinary arts) I use about twice as much milk or cream as roux, so if I use 2cups of milk I would use about 1/2 cup of flour and 4 ounces of butter to make the roux., a little less if you're using cream which will thicken on it's own.

you can add onion and or garlic to the butter prior to adding the flour

you can also use bacon or pancetta and use that fat instead of butter which gives a wonderfully fattening flavor :-), I used to make a dish that I used duck or chicken fat (mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)

adding roasted vegetables(roasted asparagus and pancetta is great with pasta, so is roasted garlic, tomatoes, squash, you get the picture), salmon smoked or otherwise, chicken, hard cheeses such as parmesano, reggiano, asiago or stravecchio, sun-dried tomatoes. In short once you have created the basic bechamel, the sky and your imagination is the limit. anyway that's a few fairly simple, at home kind of ideas.Hope I made sense

but my alfredo comes out pretty dang good.
equal parts of
cream
butter
freshly grated parm. cheese

Start with the cream/butter, and add the cheese slowly. Top with fresh ground pepper. voila'

Reyasmom said:
but my alfredo comes out pretty dang good.
equal parts of
cream
butter
freshly grated parm. cheese

Start with the cream/butter, and add the cheese slowly. Top with fresh ground pepper. voila'

Try doing this but starting with twice the amount of cream and boiling down to equal parts (makes it much sweeter and creamier) and finishing with a wee bit of fresh nutmeg.

mickman1962 said:
Try doing this but starting with twice the amount of cream and boiling down to equal parts (makes it much sweeter and creamier) and finishing with a wee bit of fresh nutmeg.
That sounds yummy!

Reyasmom: Not very exciting

the best part about cooking is it doesn't have to be exciting, as long as the eating part of it is :-D

mickman1962: mmmmmm, nutmeg is a nice addition to an alfredo

Have you ever had Alfredo's Fettucine Alfredo? YUM! But be sure you get the exact ingredients! Any deviation and it's awful. Don't ask how I know.

----

Ingredients:

1 lb. fresh fettuccine noodles

4 quarts boiling, salted water

1 cup unsalted Plugra butter, softened (Ed. note: Plugra butter is higher in fat than ordinary butter. Look for it in gourmet-type grocery stores.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup Emillia brand Parmesano Reggiano cheese, freshly grated (Ed. note: If you can't find Emillia brand, any Reggiano parmesan will do.)

Method:

Melt Plugra butter over very low heat. Whisk in grated parmesan cheese; continue whisking over a low heat until the cheese melts and the butter/cheese sauce becomes a creamy consistency. Drop fettuccine in boiling salted water. Cook until noodles float to the top of the pot (2 to 3 minutes). Drain immediately and place in large pasta bowl; toss with sauce. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter