• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whispering Canyon- for shy people?

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
I've heard the "entertainment" at this restaurant gets guests involved. Can someone explain more? My husband likes to be left out of things that put him in the "spotlight" so to speak and my dd11 is shy too. They'd not enjoy being pulled into "fun and games" in front of a restaurant full of strangers. I'm a bit nutty and outgoing :woohoo: so I wouldn't mind, but I have to consider them when making ADR's

This is exactly why I haven't considered this place for DH and I. I've heard it can be fun if you enjoy those sorts of things, but we don't.

I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has been able to just go and have a peaceful experience there (peaceful as in being left alone - not peaceful as in quiet).

There are lists and videos floating around with all of the standard antics...the ketchup seems to be the most commonly known. We did WCC with people who were not into the antics and I guess we got the "lite" version, but I've heard there's no guarantee they'll honor this. For us- they pretty much gave my parents normal restaurant service, but the rest of us got a mild version of WCC humor. i.e. throwing straws on the table, being silly during ordering, etc.

Our family has eaten here several times. We love to watch all that goes on but we also want to fly under the radar. We have never had an issue with being part of the antics. Just let your server know, they are great about makeing sure you have a great dining experience. You'll love this place!

Skip it! The entertainment might not be for your family. Even though the entertainment is minor, the food isn't worth the trouble/hassle.

We went once and not going back because of lack of "entertainment" and good food.

I don't know if they're still doing it, but at one time they had a room where they seated people who requested a quiet area away from the antics. It was in the back and opened up to the lobby. We use mealtime as a time to relax and rest so this was ideal for us.

I don't know if they're still doing it, but at one time they had a room where they seated people who requested a quiet area away from the antics. It was in the back and opened up to the lobby. We use mealtime as a time to relax and rest so this was ideal for us.

Hmm, I'll have to call and ask about that. thx

There are lists and videos floating around with all of the standard antics...the ketchup seems to be the most commonly known. We did WCC with people who were not into the antics and I guess we got the "lite" version, but I've heard there's no guarantee they'll honor this. For us- they pretty much gave my parents normal restaurant service, but the rest of us got a mild version of WCC humor. i.e. throwing straws on the table, being silly during ordering, etc.

The folowing is a post on allears.net
Wear a Hat or T-Shirt from Universal or Sea World
Tell your server you spent the day at an attraction outside of WDW
Tell the server whose birthday or anniversary it is
Have your kids "egg him/her on"
Have one of the males in the group ask where the restrooms are
Claim your straw is not long enough
Chew gum
Ask the server where you can buy some chewing gum in WDW
Ask for ketchup -- but be ready for a little exercise and team building!
Order a soda for breakfast.

The only thing we saw that was really interactive as in spotlight was when someone asked for ketchup and a bunch of kids schlepped it across the diningroom to another table. (Multiple bottles of ketchup.)

Maybe we looked no nonsense, but we were pretty shocked that it wasn't near as bad as what I have read.

We did see one table of teens/young adults that were kind of egging on their server, and they had alot of things done.

:)It is always DH, me, My MIL , BIL. DH and BIL are no nonsense and we get seated in the back room. There is a nice fire[lace and you face the lobby at a corner of the restaurant. This is typically where they place adult only groups (last three trips) and those that request it. Service is good and food is tasty. I do beleive that HDDR has better BBQ, but WCC is very nice. You can get milkshakes for your drinks ...yummm. I would just request that back room when you check in. I would say it is an area large enough for 10 tables of different sizes.

We went for a late breakfast and the mood was pretty calm, I think it had been a big morning. Asking for ketchup was the main thing during our meal, we chose to ask for some to participate in the fun but that was it. Perhaps talking in French during our whole meal helped us too. ;) There wasn't any screaming/hollering from one side to the other as I've seen in youtube videos.

The only thing we had happen there last summer (during lunch) was the horse race for the kids and a group sing along during our meal. Our server acted normal otherwise. :rotfl2: Maybe because we were dining with two small children?

We've eaten there twice and have never been 'pulled' into anything. But we always choose a five-ish seating for dinner because we don't like it more crowded.

Perhaps we were just lucky....I am right with you, I don't want to be part of the entertainment either!

We wEre there during lunch and did not witness any of the fun antics we'd read about except the horse race.:confused3

We had a 2 pm ADR here and didn't see any sort of antics. Our server was slower than molasses. We had to wait 15 minutes from the time our plates were taken away until our dessert came. We had to ask 3 times for YDS's dessert (popsicle bc he's gluten free). Ketchup was brought to our table calmly when we asked for it. No shouting, no games, no heckling, nothing. It was boring. I was expecting something entertaining and the most exciting thing we saw was the table with Lincoln Logs on it. We'll never eat there again.

Didn't read the whole thread. But just wanted to mention that my fiance and I ate at WCC back in September. It was just the two of us and we are not outgoing and are not amused by the antics. I think our server sensed this and she did not include us in any antics. The extent of it was that she gave us a handful of straws when we asked for one. Otherwise, it was a normal restaurant experience. I think the level of playfulness the servers will do with you is dependent on how into it you are. They won't force it. We'd go back there again without worry.

I have to agree that if you are not interested in the "fun" that the food is really not worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter