• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which sneakers?

MamaBelle4

DIS Veteran
I'm going out today to buy sneakers for an upcoming trip so I have time to break them in.
In the past, I've gone with New Balance. I think they're comfortable and relatively affordable. My problem, however, is the all cloth top. I'm a retires band nerd from well over a decade ago, but I still roll my toes when I walk. So when I have cloth over my toes, I put holes in it with my toes. My last pair didn't last a year.
Any suggestions on brands? I'd like to stay under $60.

IDK exactly what you mean, but I recently wore a pair of (rundisney) New Balance for a long park day,after years of wearing Nike sneakers. What a difference, I am a NB convert! I tend to go for comfortable soles as the ultimate test, so unsute of what cloth top rolling toes means

IDK exactly what you mean, but I recently wore a pair of (rundisney) New Balance for a long park day,after years of wearing Nike sneakers. What a difference, I am a NB convert! I tend to go for comfortable soles as the ultimate test, so unsute of what cloth top rolling toes means

You point your toes up when you walk, landing on your heel and rolling your foot down. The pressure my toes put on the mesh-y cloth top causes holes to form.

Easy Spirit makes completely leather sneakers so no cloth so that may be an idea.
They aren't the most fashionable but they are comfortable.

My son and I have wide feet, so we love New Balance. He always puts the hole in the top, though! I never knew how he was doing it. I blamed him not clipping his toe nails, which is a huge fight with him, lol.

I always go with the Nike sneakers. They may be more expensive but through Zappos or a Nike outlet they should be pretty affordable for some great athletic sneakers.

I find that New Balance and Nike are similar in quality. Asics are a great shoe too but can be pricey. Nike does not accept coupons ANYWHERE but their own website in which they're pretty pricey. I've been able to find good deals at DSW AND use coupons for New Balance.

I'd say New Balance can be bought for about 20-40% less than Nike for the same quality. The last pair of New Balance shoes I bought were from DSW - regularly $80 and got them for about $30 with coupons.

After I rubbed my toenails off in New Balance running shoes with a leather upper I went to a good running store and had them observe me on a treadmill and have ended up with Asics and Brooks and a pair of double lined socks that I've been happy with. I've found that for running/walking shoes brand loyalty can lead you astray because the models vary so much within the brand. A store that really lets you test the shoes, even if they charge a little bit more is really worth it.

I also went with Brooks after wearing New Balance for years. I love the Brooks Glycerin 13 and just bought the Glycerin 14 today. I have wide feet and have had plantar fasciitis problems. I love these shoes and had no problems wearing them in Disney last summer.

We went out today and I ended up with a pair of Nike. All the ones I liked had that mesh type fabric.

But, these were on clearance for $30 at shoe carnival. I'll wear out $30 worth before my piggy toes poke through.

Thanks everyone!

One thing I'd also like to add (I know you already bought your shoes but if anyone else is looking for a deal), depending on your shoe size and the fit, you might try looking into girls or boys shoes. My last pair of Nike shoes I owned, I purchased for about $35 but because I purchased a girls size 7 (I'm normally a women's 8, or men's 7). They fit well and were comfortable. Just thought I'd mention that.

Do you have Orthopedic inserts? After visiting a podiatrist.... he prescribed inserts that greatly improved the wear on my shoes.

Some say shoes should last an average of 6 months.
6 months, goodness, I have too high of expectations on my sneakers. If I buy a $15 pair, I expect at least a year. $30 should be 2. $60 should last for LIFE, lol.

The life of a running shoe is more like 200-300 miles. Of course if you're wearing out one part fast, it's likely before that. If you're doing a roll step are you heel striking too? Honestly, I'd try making an effort to change my stride. Google midstrike. It's a running thing, but I've tried paying more attention to how hard I'm landing on my feet when I walk and it's really helped.

I got a pair of the super lightweight New Balance shoes this past year (I got them for a great deal at a consignment shop, but the looked brand new) and added a pair of Spenco supports to them. They were perfect for Disney because they were so lightweight and not clunky. I also walk with my toes up, so I'm sure I will rub through them eventually, but I don't like solid leather sneakers because they feel so clunky.

6 months, goodness, I have too high of expectations on my sneakers. If I buy a $15 pair, I expect at least a year. $30 should be 2. $60 should last for LIFE, lol.

I have to replace my sneakers every 6-8 months or else my heels start to hurt if I try to keep them longer than that. Same thing with my Croc Flip-Flops which are a staple in my life, I replace them every 6 months.

To the OP though, I wear Naturalizer Bzees in the parks and my feet have never ached.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter