Which rides/attractions do you simply skip? Why?

MK- We skip Stitch because we don't like it, probably in large part because of the nasty Cheeseburger Smell. We've never done Monster's Inc, I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't sound like our kind of attraction.

Epcot- Ellen's Energy Adventure is just too large of a time sink for us and not worth it. It might be if it's really hot out, if you need to take a nap, or if you want to be a completest and see everything at least once. It isn't bad, just really long.

Hollywood Studios- Lights, Motor's, Action is too hot and not our cup of tea. The Backstage Tour is a shell of what it used to be.

Animal Kingdom- We've never done Kali River Rapids because we don't enjoy walking around the park wet all day.

MK- astro orbitor because of height
Stitch
Country bear jamboree

AK- Finding Nemo the Musical- we find it boring to be honest

Epcot- Captain EO- no interest

DHS- the voyage of the little mermaid- it was ok, just not what we expected I guess

Advice for a first timers.... DON'T SKIP ANYTHING!
Skipping rides or attractions is for the second trip!
The only disclaimer is if you need to avoid heights, spinning, etc.
I agree with this. Make a list of what you really want to see and see those things! No one will agree with what should be skipped...except maybe Stitch.

I would only research what is really popular and plan your FP+ for those.

I am laughing so hard over everyone's reactions to Stitch.... because in 2007 when we took my oldest dd for the first time, she freaked RIGHT out during it, to the point where she was screeching 'SIR SIR I WANT OUT' to the CM at the door.... hysterical for mom, not so much for her. I tease her about it still. :rotfl2:

Advice for a first timers.... DON'T SKIP ANYTHING!

This is a nice sentiment, but the parks are so very big that it is basically impossible to see everything in a typical (one week) visit. Unless you are a small group of young, healthy people and/or going for a very long visit, decisions will need to be made. One big decision is whether to do extra days in the parks or have non-park days to do water parks or DisneyQuest or whatever.

I definitely recommend getting guide books, but threads like this are even more helpful because you get the "why" part of it. Also, even supposedly neutral guide books tend to be pro-WDW in a uniform way, whereas posters on this board are pro-WDW in general but have strong negative opinions in the specifics.

The best advice I've ever heard is not to get too tied down thinking about "must do" attractions, because it might not work out. Rides go down, blisters destroy touring plans, kids rebel against forced marches and demand to go back to the hotel pool. Be ready to go with the flow and focus on all of the fun you had on the attractions you experienced, rather than focusing on what you missed.

Also, I've never been on Stitch, but it seems like skipping that one is pretty sound advice.

Magic Kingdom: Stitch, agree with pp that it's a waste of space. Animal Kingdom: It's Tough to Be a Bug, is another pointless waste of space. Why is smelling a stink bug and getting "stung" by a wasp considered entertainment? Epcot: Test Track - I drive a car every day around on city streets which are badly maintained and equally as rough as TT.
Stitch, for sure! Even my oldest, who's fave character is stitch, said no way, never again. That's time you won't get back. It's tough to be a bug scared the day lights out of my daughter at 7. She's terrified of insects. So yeah, bad for her. I find the fact that she is terrified of insects funny, as her mom, moi, is an aquatic entomologist....lol I saw some say they skip the laugh floor. We love the laugh floor! So everyone is different.

We're going next week and I've heard how awful Stitch is but wanted to try it if we have time. After reading the comments I'm second-guessing that decision LOL.

As another first-timer (and potentially last timer, given we are coming from Australia), can someone please explain what is so bad about Stitch? I was thinking about doing it if we have time, but skipping it if we run out of time (2 days in MK). My kids will be 11 and 8.

This is so helpful! Thank you, everyone!

I suppose I should have added that we are "DLR" people, go to CA every year or so. Some of the rides I'm simply interested in seeing if/how they differ park to park.

We'll be there for 7 days (we normally do DLR in 3).

Thanks for all the input!:goodvibes

Lees75 said:
As another first-timer (and potentially last timer, given we are coming from Australia), can someone please explain what is so bad about Stitch? I was thinking about doing it if we have time, but skipping it if we run out of time (2 days in MK). My kids will be 11 and 8.

Stitch is dark, you are seated with a harness type thing over you and Stitch likes to bounce and jump on your shoulders. There is also (in my opinion) one of the most disgusting smells ever. Stitch burps a chili dog burp and for the life of me, I had that stench in my nose for hours. When I was in line, I thought the guy in front of me has BO, but it was the chili dog smell and we weren't even on the ride yet.

Stitch is dark, you are seated with a harness type thing over you and Stitch likes to bounce and jump on your shoulders. There is also (in my opinion) one of the most disgusting smells ever. Stitch burps a chili dog burp and for the life of me, I had that stench in my nose for hours. When I was in line, I thought the guy in front of me has BO, but it was the chili dog smell and we weren't even on the ride yet.
the guy in front of you probably did have BO :p have to agree it is just one of those attraction that is forgettable and not that entertaining. Plus you will never forget that stench

The consensus is .... :stitch:
See how he's bouncing up and down. That's how you'll feel on that ride. It's jerky, weird, frightening for young kids, dark, uncomfortable, incomprehensible, and down right creepy. They should just tear it down.

I would also skip :figment: if you don't have the time.

The baby rides are kind of boring, but I do like the tea cups. Swiss Treehouse is OK. If you aren't a big fan of Micheal Jackson, then skip Captain EO. Tomorrowland Speedway can have long lines and is boring. Unless you are a big character person, skip the M&G. Ellen's Energy Universe is boring, but it's supposedly a great place to take a nap.

There are a lot of rides that we don't do every time, because sometimes once a decade is enough. We tend to skip the shows in DHS and AK, since we've seen most of them once. The first time was a little hard, especially if you aren't a big musical fan.

AK has a lot of rides to skip, especially in Dinoland. I also don't like Rafiki's Conservation Station. The train ride is fun though.

MK- We did Stitch once and will never go again. The seats are uncomfortable, and then they strap you down with an over-the-head shoulder harness that clips into the sitting part of the seat. It's pitch black, and Stitch escapes into the chamber. THe shoulder bar pushes down on you so you are supposed to think Stitch is jumping around the theater. Then there are the awful smells. Yes, Stitch is one stinky guy. The younger kids were terrified in the dark- as you are harnessed down you can't lean over to comfort them- and the older kids said it was gross and boring. Adults agreed.

We also don't do Country Bears (too corny but younger kids usually like it), Swiss Family Treehouse (too much stair-climbing for 90 degree heat), AstroOrbiter (great view, even greater puke-potential), the cars you "drive" yourself (too stinky, too hot), and Tom Sawyer Island (time consuming, no interest in wandering around the Florida underbrush).

Epcot- Captain EO is mind-numbing (although we enjoyed the dancing and throw-back concept the first time, ONCE is ENOUGH). We've never done either of the Innoventions areas- not sure why. Mission:Space orange is too intense (DD has ridden it maybe 6 times, disliked it more each time, and now doesn't ride it at all). Circle of Life movie is b-o-r-i-n-g but provides a good nap spot.
Ellen's Universe of Energy is a mixed bag- sometimes boring, sometimes interesting, always a good place to spend 45 minutes sitting down in the a/c.

DHS- Playhouse DIsney (or whatever it is) but that's because of no interest- DD is almost 21! We enjoyed Lights Action Motor stunt show BUT don't go if there's a waiting line because it's brutally hot. We skip the backstage tour now because it's sad and sorry- a real shell of its former self. Haven't done any of the animation courtyard stuff yet, only because we run out of time. I find DHS the hardest park to manage, balancing show times with rides.

AK- Hmmm… we never go to Nemo the Musical. We think it's numb and boring, and it replaced our favorite show ever- Tarzan Rocks!! We often skip the tiger attraction because they are well hiding during the daytime and it's hotter than blazes walking through there. Dinosaur is VERY loud and jarring- DD loves it but I bow out. Watch out for It's Tough to be a Bug. Not only does DD dislike bugs and flying things, but Hopper is a menace- an incredibly LOUD menace, and he's pretty terrifying all on his own.

One of the biggest ways we save time in the Disney parks is to do character meals. You have to eat anyhow, it's nice to sit in the a/c for an hour or so, and your kids will get at least 4 autographs and photos. You can plan about 20-30 minutes in each character line in and around the parks, so right away you can see what a time saver this is. SO I guess you could say we skip most character meet-n-greets!

MK- Tiki Room- Saw it once and it was nap time for me
Tree house- All those steps that my knees can't handle
Astro Orbiter- Afraid of heights and may not fit in them so I don't try

DHS-Captain Jack- waste of my time.

AK- Dinosaur- Its really jerky and hurts my back for hrs after the ride

Epcot- Ellen Energy- Once was enough for me.

My first trip to WDW with my two sons as a single Dad in 2009 I did my research and read tons of opinions and figured I would just get there early leave late and do as much as we could. we were able cover all of each park and we figured what we could pass for the next trip. We returned in 2012 and guess what we hit it all again with the same plan why? because we were in WDW and we were on vacation!! :cool1: we rather see it all anyway because who knows when we will be back or what will change by next time.

I look at vintage Disney forums to see photo's of rides that are long gone that I remember growing up as a kid going to Disney Ca. and have very fond memories of all the old rides. Kids don't remember bad rides just the trip.

Tower of Terror because I can't do the 'up and down' type of thrill ride.

Mission to Space - I can get motion sick, and from what I've read it doesn't seem like fun if you're prone to motion sickness or get claustrophobic easily!

Star Tours - Motion sickness again!

Tom Sawyers Island - Always had plenty of other things to see and do!

Do your research, watch videos on YouTube and make your decisions based on your family. Everyone is right, you won't be able to do everything so it's good to be prepared knowing what you can skip and what your must do's are.

MK
-Tea cups-Your kids will probably love them but if your prone to motion sickness not the ride for you. Besides you probably have this kind of ride at a local amusement park.
-Stitch too scary for kids
-astro orbiter. I thought I was going to fall out and got nauseous.

Epcot
Captain EO waste of time and really loud
Ellen-although it's a must do for us, it's really long. Worth doing if you have an hour to kill.

AK
Nemo musical-glad to know there are other people who were bored to tears with it. I thought we were the only ones after seeing what great reviews it got.

HS
I didn't think there is anything really bad. Pick which shows you want to see because you won't be able to see them all. Has anyone in one day?

Have a magical time on your trip!

country bear jamboree
captain EO
tea cups -make me so ill lol
flights of wonder -no real reason apart from not high on my priority list
Ellen's energy adventure-45 mins better spent elsewhere

MK: I agree with the billion other pp who said to skip Stitch, that's a no-brainer...
Carousel of Progress is also very, very skippable
Epcot: If I ever go to Living with the Land or Ellen's Energy Adventure again, it will be too soon - KMN!
AK: It's Tough to Be a Bug is an easy skip!
pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter