• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which resort for a no park vacation

scrapycruiser

DIS Veteran
We are DVC members and after years of going to WDW, we have decided to spend 10 days next May at a Disney resort without going to the parks. We do have an annual pass so we might pop in for dinner or a character breakfast.
So where would you stay ? And why ?

AKL - this resort has so much to do ( and for adults too ). The resort is beautiful and we loved that it was off the beaten path a bit. We had a Savannah room so it really felt like a vacation in a vacation. So much good food there too!

Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House).

Great dining options. Giraffes and zebras on the savanna. Activities in the resort for free and paid tours like the Wanyama Safari. Love the theming.

OKW. We go every year for 10 days or two weeks and might go to parks one day. The activities are great and close by. Tennis, pool, bikes, golf, shuffle board, pool, great activities staff, movies every night. Plus the biggest rooms. And a boat to Disney Springs. It’s just easy to be there.

Dh & I just got back from our first ever resort stay. We didn't have our kids, don't have AP's and are taking the kids later this year so we decided not to spend money on tix and just hang out at the resort. We stayed at BC. We had a great time. We love the pool there and the Boardwalk area. We also bused to other resorts for meals and entertainment. Having said that, 10 days would have been too long for us. By the time we were checking out, I felt we had enjoyed ourselves but too much longer and we would have gotten bored. Maybe splitting the 10 days up would help?? Going into the parks would probably have helped us.

We are DVC members and after years of going to WDW, we have decided to spend 10 days next May at a Disney resort without going to the parks. We do have an annual pass so we might pop in for dinner or a character breakfast.
So where would you stay ? And why ?

I would stay at Pop Century for 10 days. Being that I won't be going to the parks, I will be doing the following resort hopping in no particular order, so as to enjoy the more expensive resorts without paying the price :rolleyes1. After all, you have the time!

1. Take the bus to MK, then boat to the Grand Floridian. Look around the grounds, the lobby, and eat at one of the restaurants.
2. Walk from GF to the Poly on the beautiful walkway along the lake, visit the Poly lobby, and eat at Kona Cafe. Take the monorail back to MK, then take the bus back to Pop.
3. Take the bus to DHS, walk to Beach Club along the river, visit the lobbies of Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Beach Club, and eat at Cape May. Walk to Swan and Dolphin, take the boat to DHS, then bus back.
4. Take the bus to Epcot, transfer to bus to Port Orleans. Look around the huge and beautiful resorts Riverside and French Quarter, then take their water taxi to Disney Springs. Return to Pop by bus.
5,6. Repeat 4 with Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach. They both have long, beautiful paths around lakes, though no water taxi. Can sit and relax on the lounges by the sandy beaches.
7. Take the bus to DHS, transfer to bus to All Stars Movie or Sport. Walk around the hotels and admire their various humongous statues and decorations.
8. Take the bus to AK, then transfer to AKL. Visit the main building, then walk to the Kidani Village and admire the various animal viewings. Can also eat at the local restaurants.
9. Walk around Pop and Art of Animation and admire the various decorations, the lobbies, and the beautiful hourglass lake, which, in the evenings, is often glassy like a mirror.

Benefits of staying at Pop:

1. low budget price. For a 10 day stay, you can save $1000 to $3000 or more compared to staying at moderate or deluxe resorts. You can use the extra money on ADRs.
2. renovated rooms with bed in the wall. You can lower it if you need it, or raise it if you don't. Brand new shelves, sinks, bathtubs, fridge, USB plugs. Looks awesome! (All Star movies have some renovated rooms, but you don't know for sure if you are going to get it.)
3. Beautiful Hourglass lake and bridge to AofA. Can eat at both food courts.
4. Dedicated buses that don't stop anywhere, and are not crowded during non-rush hours. Fast elevators and convenient stairs right next to elevators.
5. 3 pools with plentiful tables and lounge chairs. 2 big video game arcades.
6. Being that you are not visiting the parks, there's no reason to be close to MK or Epcot or AK so that you can get in and out of there faster. Pop is a central location for resort hopping and is fairly close to Disney Springs as well.

Animal kingdom and beach club. Split stay. So you can use stormalong bay.

Great idea!
I was going to say AKL since it’s slightly less convenient when doing a “park stay” being a little further out so longer bus rides etc plus it’s beautiful and relaxing especially if you like animals and have a nice view.

Fort Wilderness/Wilderness Lodge area. There are a lot of different activities, the location is a bit secluded from other areas, and you have the option of watching the electrical water pageant (and possibly the fireworks, or you could pop over to the Contemporary to do that).

Husband and I also returned from a four night stay at Kidani Village. We did go into AK to experience FoP but the rest of the time stayed at the resort. We also had some wonderful meals that included Brunch at California Grill and Sanaa. It was very relaxing.

AKL. With 10 days (especially for a no park trip) I would do a split stay though. We like a change of scenery during long trips. AKL and then BC or Poly.

This would be Saratoga Springs for me All. The. Way. It has beautiful grounds for walking or running, multiple lovely pools, and, most importantly, Disney Springs within easy strolling distance: restaurants, shopping, entertainment, and your own personal bus hub to take you anywhere at all you want to go. I wouldn't think twice about this decision.

Wilderness Lodge -- beautiful and relaxing, great Geyser Point Grill, and boat to CR and access to other monorail resorts....and boat service to FW.

OR, as many other posters have said AKL...again, beautiful and relaxing, unique setting with animals on the savannah.....and 3 great restaurants onsite and great pool....what more do u need---have a great time deciding!

This would be Saratoga Springs for me All. The. Way. It has beautiful grounds for walking or running, multiple lovely pools, and, most importantly, Disney Springs within easy strolling distance: restaurants, shopping, entertainment, and your own personal bus hub to take you anywhere at all you want to go. I wouldn't think twice about this decision.

Yep. Another vote for SSR, here. For the same reasons listed above.

It’s so tranquil and peaceful, yet close to the action at Disney Springs. On a no parks trip, it would be a no brainer for us.

Great point.

I would rent my points and go on a Disney cruise on the fantasy. So much better than just hanging at a Disney resort. Especially if you have been going to Disney for years.

I agree with this. There are many nicer hotels around the country than the ones in WDW. Even the Hard Rock and Portifino at Universal. I can't imagine finding enough to do at WDW for 10 days without going to a park.

Can't DVC points be used to book cruises?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter