Which one? Newport, Huntington, or Laguna?

Katie0677

Earning My Ears
Hello! My dh and I will be taking a 10 yr. anniversary trip to Southern California next year :sunny: , and I am wondering which beach is better to stay at?? We won't have the kids with us and we would like to do some shopping, eat good food, and catch a play or two. We'll probably spend about 3 nights. Any recommendations?
We will also be taking a day trip to Catalina Island, catching an Angels game, and of course spend a day (or 2) in DL! :banana:
Any thoughts and info would be most appreciated!!
Katie

All good choices - so you cannot go wrong here. If it was me I would choose Newport. There is more to do there.

For a romantic anniversary trip, I vote for Newport or Laguna. Newport has more restaurants, nightlife, etc. Laguna is quieter and "artsy" - lots of little galleries & cafes.

Without out question it's Laguna Beach. The town is spread out along a natural cove and is filled with restaurants and small hotels. It feels cut off from the rest of Southern California and much more personal. Just south of Laguna is Dana Point Harbor which also has a number of good resturants.

Newport Beach is more of a city. The hotels are much larger and more self contained. Newport is also a very residential city and not geared toward the tourist trade. Huntington Beach appeals more to the family vacation set. Everything is set back and off the beach, the overall feeling is HB is where suburbia meets the ocean.

I think Newport is a great choice. It's in between Laguna and Huntington, and it's the most "adult" of the 3. That way, you can relax in Newport, and visit both Huntington and Laguna if you wanted. They're all great choices really, but Huntington tends to be for a younger crowd, IMHO and Laguna is very closed in and a bit crowded. Plus, with Newport you have Fashion Island and Balboa right there, as well.

I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever one you choose! :goodvibes

I vote for LAguna. I used to spend my summers there and it is a very nice place. There are also some of the older hotels that have been restored and look beautiful..

Depending on what time of year you go they have the Festival of Arts and Pagent of the Masters.
http://www.foapom.com/

Where real people are in the paitings that you see on stage. I have been numerous times and it is wonderful. Also the sawdust art festival. That is great also..

HTH.

Rapunsel

i'd personally skip Catalina. for me it was always a tourist trap. with a beach that is not very beachy..

What is the day parking like in Laguna Beach? I was thinking of spending a few hours there to look around during our trip this July.

Thanks for all the great replies! It has given me some things to think about.
Have a great weekend everyone! :wave2:
Katie

I grew up in Newport Beach, my Dad worked in Huntington Beach and my grandparents lived in Laguna Beach. For romance, I pick Laguna Beach. There are unique shops and galleries lining the main street. The sunsets are beautiful from the cliffs.

Laguna. To answer the parking question, I believe on the street there is a 2 hr limit. I might be wrong but that's what I remember from the last time I visited.

especially if you're on a romantic vacation - the atmosphere is great. I remember going to the art festival every summer there when I was little. It has sentimental value to me because my mom grew up there, and I grew up just on the other side of the canyon and we always went to the beach there. Last time we were back, we stayed at the Inn at Laguna, it was very nice - down comforters, nice in-room breakfast, etc. I can't remember the name of the place we ate dinner at, but it's right on the beach, with the statue of the greeter - Greeter's Corner maybe? Anyway, we sat on the patio, the sun was setting over the ocean, and then we took a moonlight walk on the beach, ahhh..... in the morning we explored the tidepools, then showered, breakfasted and ambled around town looking in the galleries and quaint little shops, and had lunch in a nice little cafe. Very relaxing.

Newport is nice too - a less "quaint/artsy" and more "beachy" feel - the beach is bigger, and it's hopping with activity (at least it always was). I love Balboa Island - lots of little shops and cafes there too - it's really fun to walk all around it. We used to always stop and get a frozen banana at a little stand there - wonder if it's still there?

Wherever you decide, they're all close enough together that you can visit the others too. Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful trip!

calendar_back6.jpg

I would vote Laguna Beach.

Laguna%20Beach2.jpg
Laguna%20Beach.jpg

Plus there are a coupleof concert venues at the Irvine Meadows and Pacific Amplitheaters. We used to live in Huntington Beach near the water and OC was our "backyard". Now we are 110 miles north in Westlake Village. So - we are perhaps 10 years out of date (IE, not sure if Irvine Meadows or the Pacific are still operating). FOr dinner though - how about the 5 crowns on PCH?

I'm glad you asked this question- we are trying to decide which beach town to stay in for our upcoming DL Trip. We have stayed in Newport Beach and fell in love with it! The beach is wonderful. However, we would like to stay somewhere else this time-DD's want to stay in Laguna Beach.

Definitelu Laguna Beach. Although I would rather have people spend their money in my town of Huntington Beach/Newport Beach area, Laguna is the hip place to be. There are a lot of art galleries plus you have awesome beaches.

Catalina Express has boats leaving for Catalina Island daily in Newport Beach so you are very close to the Newport Harbor area as well.

You won't go wrong with any! My preference is for Laguna or Newport. Laguna is wonderful for romance. Lots of beautiful venues, artsy restaurants and galleries, great views. Newport is more bustling. Have a great time, and let us know what you decide!

Newport is stunning, with it's regional park (Crystal Cove), which is great for hiking. But for your anniversary, Laguna is definetley the place for romance! It has pristine beaches, great shopping and art, good restaurants and hotels. I say Laguna, absolutely! :thumbsup2

Maria395712 said:
what hotels are nice in each beach town something 4 or 5 star
maria

In Laguna Beach there is the Montage and Surf and Sand. In Newport Beach there is the Fairmont. In the Laguna Niguel/Dana Point area there is the Ritz and the St. Regis. I'm not as familiar with Huntington but I have heard that the Hyatt there is nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter