Which one is the better choice?!?

hershey2014

Mouseketeer
when is the best time to go to wdw? End of may or in June? Kids are getting older and they can't miss much time from school now.

Thanks for any input!

Others may disagree, but I honestly don't think it makes a ton of difference. End of May is Memorial Day and a lot of people will be there around that time. In June, schools are letting out, especially those in the south, so families will start having summer vacations then. To me, neither time is insanely crazy, but they'll both be busy. Do what's best for your family.

Our school year begins right after Labor Day, and we're going to Disney a week later because although they're in school, they're really 'recapping' what they did the prior year pretty much for the first month so I say September. =)

I wish we could go in September again. We have been several times during that timeframe but the kids can't miss 2 weeks from school. It takes them forever to catch up on test,etc

Does your school start tests that early in the year? My daughter will be a 5th grader this September and I'm hoping that's not the case. LOL

I'd take late may over September (or any other month) every single time.

Early June isn't bad either.

Last edited:
First, the best time to go to disney is when it works for your family.

Second there is always a crowd, especially if you need to navigate school vacations for when it works for your familiy so pick the school vacation that has something going on at WDW you might find to enhance the trip. Like halloween? get down in sept/oct. Love xmas, then it's nov-early jan for you. want better weather? march or april and enjoy flower and garden going on. need some heat and pure WDW, head over the summer.

Does your school start tests that early in the year?
Many times the testing early in the school year is to help monitor progress thorughout the year and at the end of the year. I personally would not want to take my kids out of school (11 yo boys in 5th grade) for a week at any time of the year. There is so much that they cover that it could really put them behind. And then if they were to become sick and miss school because of that then excessive absences could become an issue. A week in elementary school is probably not an issue, 2 days in middle school Jr high, but i would not keep them out at all in high school. It just becomes too difficult to catch up.

So as for OP question -- I would lean towards doing a slightly long weekend around memorial day -- it can be busy but is not one of the busier holidays -- goes leave leave thursday after school and come back Tuesday evening. Limits the amount of missed school. I know in MA they have state testing that generally takes place in May so you may want to find out if your school does any state testing

If you can do the end of May but leave before Memorial Day weekend that would be the better time. If you going to stay thru the weekend try to get your "must see" attractions done before Friday and you relax more on the weekend (maybe more pool time).

This past year, I went May 29 to June 4. So one day, Monday, was the only park day that coincided with Memorial Day Weekend. It was my first trip, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I honestly didn't think crowds were terrible. We even did Epco during the Flower and Garden Festival on the Monday of Memorial Day Weekend, and it wasn't terrible. So I think either would be fine, but, as I said, I have nothing to compare it to.

Last edited:
Crowd wise once you get to the end of May I think it's pretty much the same as summer crowds through June. Weather wise it gets hotter the further you get into the summer, but end of May can still be quite hot. So not really a big difference either way.

This is coming from my family who we swore would never ever go in the summer (we always went in the fall). But when dd got older we realized jr high/high school was requiring a lot more work. Now our school will excuse her for vacation (5 days) but it is up to the teacher if they allow her to make up the work.

She always wanted to go for her birthday (beginning of June) so we did last year. Was it hot? yes. Was it crowded? Yes but not like we thought it would be. It was actually pretty mild to what we thought it would be. We had went to DW the year before over Thanksgiving and DH said never again. With planning and break times it is doable. So we are doing it again this year and will be there again for her bday.

I agree with what everybody else said, not much difference. Maybe check to see when you can get the best rate for flights?

Both are going to be hot, both are going to be crowded, both will be a blast..so pick whichever is best for your family
!

I'm a teacher in GA. Kids get out the Wed before Memorial Day, teachers on Friday. We could go Memorial Day week...but I chose 6/3-6/11. They are probably very similar weather and crowd wise though. I just did it to have a bit of time to run errands, pack, etc without worrying about work too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter