Which of these hotels/locations should we stay?

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We are vising the LA area in October after we spend a week in Marriotts Newport Coast. While we are a Newport Coast we will go to Disneyland, Queen Mary and Universal (long drive I know). We may if we have time venture up the the Hollywood area and see some of the sites there while at Newport. Then we would like to spend a few nights before we leave using LAX to finish seeing sites we may have missed like: Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Getty, Malibu. We have narrowed it down to only a few hotels because we have 3 kids so we have to go to a place that has a junior suite. (website still say 4 people but in one case it said 2 additional rollaways allowed) Here are the choices: Please let me know which is best for younger children (age 5,7 and 9). The Renassance (in the middle of the action, high parking fee, not a kid friendly area?($349.00 per night for a One bedroom suite.) The Residence Inn in Beverly Hills ($299.00 per night will fit 5 with a kitchen with no pool?
The Marriott in Marina Del Ray $329.00 a night for a large suite (conceirge level so it give a few more perks) but this hotel does not seem kids friendly. (pool looks small) Or a Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach ($209.00) will fit 5 but area seems out of the way. The last is the Best Western Sunset Strip which is $225.00 per night which will fit 5. (not sure of the surrounding location)

We do like a nicer hotel with a pool (assuming we can swim in October) but having 5 makes it difficult because standard rooms do not fit us. I am just unsure of the logistics of where we are staying in relation to what we want to see. Being in the middle of Hollywood seems practical but we also can drive to those sites and see them in one day. We also want to feel safe with our young kids and do like to walk around at night. Any thoughts?

Have you looked at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Santa Monica? We like to stay in Santa Monica - it isn't a horrible drive anywhere that you are describing although it isn't the middle of the action either. But, maybe it is too much beach for you. I think that Manhattan Beach is too much of a hike. Marina Del Ray is a bit further, but a nice place. I don't know the location of the hotel in Beverly Hills. Parts of Beverly Hills are nicer than other parts.

Have you looked at the Doubletree Guest Suites in Santa Monica? We like to stay in Santa Monica - it isn't a horrible drive anywhere that you are describing although it isn't the middle of the action either. But, maybe it is too much beach for you. I think that Manhattan Beach is too much of a hike. Marina Del Ray is a bit further, but a nice place. I don't know the location of the hotel in Beverly Hills. Parts of Beverly Hills are nicer than other parts.

Honeymom,

I did look at the Doubletree since it was all suites I knew we would fit, but it is $379.00 a night which seemed a bit on the high side.

I'm in L.A. and have been to the hotels you mention. I'm also partial to the Marriott's family of hotels -- love those Marrriott Rewards points!

I recommend staying at the Renaissance Hollywood. The Hollywood & Highland Complex is next door. Disney's El Capitan Theatre and Disney's Soda Fountain are right across the street from that. Plenty for the kids to see and do.

It's also conveniently close to Universal Studios Hollywood. You could drive and pay for parking. Or take the Metro red line subway. There's a station below the H&H Complex, and USH is just one metro stop away. Exit the station, cross the street, and take the free tram up the hill.

Woody

Honeymom,

I did look at the Doubletree since it was all suites I knew we would fit, but it is $379.00 a night which seemed a bit on the high side.

$379??? I can usually find it for $239. Maybe it is because you are trying to book so far out. Try going to the Doubletree hotel site directly, or calling the hotel.

$379??? I can usually find it for $239. Maybe it is because you are trying to book so far out. Try going to the Doubletree hotel site directly, or calling the hotel.

I went on their direct website but now that I know if can go down to $239 I will keep checking, thanks!

Okay, you're right. When I just run those dates, I get the cuckoo prices. There must be something large scale going on there (meeting/convention) because when I look at the property through tripadvisor, all of the sites searched have the same crazy numbers or say sold out.

I'd book somewhere else with a refundable rate. My guess is that somebody is holding onto a large block of rooms at the Doubletree. A lot of times, rooms that aren't being used will be released onto the market (this is what I have found at a lot of hotels) 2 weeks before the event date (sometimes 1 month prior). Then you suddenly have a number of rooms that are sold at a discount rate. So keep watching and maybe once closer, you can do better.

Okay, you're right. When I just run those dates, I get the cuckoo prices. There must be something large scale going on there (meeting/convention) because when I look at the property through tripadvisor, all of the sites searched have the same crazy numbers or say sold out.

I'd book somewhere else with a refundable rate. My guess is that somebody is holding onto a large block of rooms at the Doubletree. A lot of times, rooms that aren't being used will be released onto the market (this is what I have found at a lot of hotels) 2 weeks before the event date (sometimes 1 month prior). Then you suddenly have a number of rooms that are sold at a discount rate. So keep watching and maybe once closer, you can do better.

thank you honeymom, at least I know I am not going nuts!

I love the Best Western Sunset Plaza. It's close to "Hollywood" but in West Hollywood which is nicer and for the most part safer. They might give you a special rate if you have an "entertainment card" which you can buy online. It's right on the Sunset strip, a memorable place to stay. MUCH nicer than Hollywood proper.

www.sunsetplazahotel.com

Isn't Ritz Carlton part of the Marriott family?

Ritz Carlton Marina Del Ray or Pasadena...Laguna Beach is wicked expensive...Love the CLUB level w/ 5 meal servies/day and conceirge services!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter