Which moderate?

jennab

DIS Veteran
Looking for opinions on CBR, CSR, and POFQ. It will be 2 adults and 1 child (13yr old boy). Probably April or May 2025. We might rent a car, depends on pricing, but we are good using Uber/lyft too. We stayed at CSR back in 2007 but that was before kids. Since then we’ve mainly stayed deluxe or DVC but looking for something cheaper this time (don’t want to rent points due to inflexible cancellation policy).

Here are my thoughts on each, I keep going round in circles. Good thing I have a lot of time to decide I guess ;). What am I missing? What would you do and why?

CBR pros - easy access to skyliner which is great for HS, EP, and boardwalk area. Close to Riviera for more dining options. Fun looking large pool plus smaller pools around.
CBR cons - Very spread out resort and could end up having to walk a ways depending on where room is. Lots of bus stops for the other parks or if bad weather and skyliner is down (or use Uber). Rooms have the big box AC still.

CSR pros - Nicer rooms than other mods. Fun looking main pool and multiple pools. Lots of dining options.
CSR cons - Very spread out and could end up anywhere with standard or pool view (not sure I’d want to pay $75+ night more for tower). Lots of bus stops and only bus options to parks (or Uber).

POFQ pros - smaller moderate with only 1 bus stop. Rooms are being renovated this year. Beignets!
POFQ cons - pool seems kind of meh for a teen boy and there is only 1, so might be busy, especially with little kids. Only bus transportation (or Uber) except to DS but I hear the boat takes a long time. Not a lot of dining options.

POFQ the boat is about a 15 minute ride to DS. it has the one pool and the arcade. It's walking distance to POR which has more pool options. I'm partial but we love POFQ
Do you think with a teen though? The pool seemed very little kiddie so I wasn’t sure how fun it would be. I know we can walk/bus to POR too but thought the pool over there would be a bit far of a walk from POFQ.

We stayed at POFQ in 2020, really enjoyed it, but the bus rides to all the parks is its downside, I was pretty unimpressed with the food, breakfast was fine, but the lunch/dinner I had at Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory was beyond disappointing, not sure how you can botch Jambalaya when you're supposed to be themed based on a New Orleans French Quarter, but they did. Looking at the menu before repsonding I see nothing on the menu that even reflects the French Quarter, which is sad.

Previous years we stayed at CSR and really enjoyed it. However, that was pre-tower and IMHO the tower ruined the look and feel for us.

I would suggest checking prices direct with Swan Dolphin (better if you can get Swan). First off prices compare with Disney Moderate hotels, you have a much larger food selection, and you can take boats or walk to two parks.

We stayed at POFQ in 2020, really enjoyed it, but the bus rides to all the parks is its downside, I was pretty unimpressed with the food, breakfast was fine, but the lunch/dinner I had at Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory was beyond disappointing, not sure how you can botch Jambalaya when you're supposed to be themed based on a New Orleans French Quarter, but they did. Looking at the menu before repsonding I see nothing on the menu that even reflects the French Quarter, which is sad.

Previous years we stayed at CSR and really enjoyed it. However, that was pre-tower and IMHO the tower ruined the look and feel for us.

I would suggest checking prices direct with Swan Dolphin (better if you can get Swan). First off prices compare with Disney Moderate hotels, you have a much larger food selection, and you can take boats or walk to two parks.
I did consider Swan, but thought of a few downsides. No Disney busses to other parks, no room charging, if we do a rental car then parking is $$. My husband is not a fan of the walk to HS from that area 😆. I guess they do have boats, just take a loonnng time. Haha.

Yeah POFQ doesn’t seem like it has a lot of dining options. Sucks to hear the QS wasn’t good when you were there.

I wondered about the tower and impacts at CSR. Added more people for existing pool and busses.

I prefer POR. IMHO, the pool there is the best on property outside of BCV and it's just so pleasant. The multiple bus stops is NBD. Of the ones you listed I'd pick POFQ, but you are correct - the pool is not the best.

Do you think with a teen though? The pool seemed very little kiddie so I wasn’t sure how fun it would be. I know we can walk/bus to POR too but thought the pool over there would be a bit far of a walk from POFQ.
I know the pool at POFQ doesn’t get a lot of love. But my two teens enjoy it. I think it’s because the slide is a bit hokey, but honestly, I don’t find the slides at the other moderates to be much better.

Even though there is just one pool, I’ve never found the pool at POFQ to be too crowded. We usually find the main pools at CSR and POR way more crowded most of the time.

@jennab - by all means do what makes you happy. You would find the S/D bus for AK is a bit closer then the Disney buses, but for MK you can walk to YC to bus over, and many do if they don't want the TTC issue. For us, we preferred to take the boats, it was a nice leisurely way to start/end our day, but I know its not for everyone.

I think CSR, especially the tower building, would be a good choice for the OP. It feels like a deluxe resort when you walk in. I've never stayed there so I can't comment on the rooms.

For us it's all about theming preference. We've stayed at Port Orleans, Port Orleans Alligator Bijou, and Caribbean Beach. Our preference is Caribbean Beach only because we enjoy the 'islander' theme.

I know the pool at POFQ doesn’t get a lot of love. But my two teens enjoy it. I think it’s because the slide is a bit hokey, but honestly, I don’t find the slides at the other moderates to be much better.

Even though there is just one pool, I’ve never found the pool at POFQ to be too crowded. We usually find the main pools at CSR and POR way more crowded most of the time.
Good to know, thank you! I just felt like it might be crowded only being 1 pool for all those rooms!

I'd pick based on location and what your child's interests are. If you are going to be spending most of your time chasing thrill rides at Studios and EPCOT, Caribbean Beach is not a bad choice at all.

With Skyliner, you can go eat at Epcot, RIV or Pop. Endless choices.

For us it's all about theming preference. We've stayed at Port Orleans, Port Orleans Alligator Bijou, and Caribbean Beach. Our preference is Caribbean Beach only because we enjoy the 'islander' theme.
Yes I thought it might be a fun theme too being in FL as well, maybe more relaxing vibe? Did you like the skyliner when you stayed there?

I'd pick based on location and what your child's interests are. If you are going to be spending most of your time chasing thrill rides at Studios and EPCOT, Caribbean Beach is not a bad choice at all.

With Skyliner, you can go eat at Epcot, RIV or Pop. Endless choices.
Good thought. I feel like we will spend time in all parks. Probably 8 night trip so have plenty of time! We do tend to take mid day breaks so thought CBR might be a good choice with the ease of getting back and forth from 2 parks at least.

Good to know, thank you! I just felt like it might be crowded only being 1 pool for all those rooms!
POFQ is such a small resort compared to the others. And I find, that even though the other moderates have multiple pools, most people tend to gravitate towatds the main pool at every resort, leaving the secondary pools nearly empty anyways.

Yes I thought it might be a fun theme too being in FL as well, maybe more relaxing vibe? Did you like the skyliner when you stayed there?
Yes, we enjoyed the Skyline. Luckily we've never had a bad experience on the Skyliner.

If you stay at Gran Destino, I will warn you the feature pool is a hike across the resort from the tower.

With a 13 year old = CSR. From the time my kids hit teens it was their favorite resort. Pool area alone is more grownup with a long adult sized slide. Yes, lots of dining options which I think is a real plus. We don't think it is a bad walk, a much smaller footprint than CBR, from standard. Our favorite is Rancho as it is highly themed and feels very resort like. It really depends on how much time you will spend at resort and pool, if a lot I think it's a great pick.

CBR gives you the Skyliner and options that come with it - more dining. A good middle of the line choice for a 13 year old. Room location can be hit or miss. If you do stay be sure to eat at Sebastians. What a under the radar gem. I found the new lobby main area to be more upscale than I expected.

POFQ would be a def no from me for a teenager. The pool is completely for young kids. My kids even under 10 years old called it a "baby pool". I consider it the value of moderates since it is lacking on amenities of a moderate but still moderate prices.

I usually request building 7 at POFQ. It is the nearest building to POR, but not a bad distance from the amenities at POFQ either. I have not had any issues with food quality at POFQ, but have also utilized the restaurants at POR when staying there.

I agree that if you want a “deluxe lite” experience, the tower at CSR is a good compromise. It is the closest you will get to that feel at a moderate resort.

Personally, I would do CBR for the Skyliner access. I don’t feel CBR is any more spread out than CSR if you aren’t staying in the tower. If you request the area between the CBR Skyliner and the Riviera Skyliner, you are just across the bridge from the main amenities at CBR. Using the Skyliner also gives you easy access to the food options in the Crescent Lake area. We have even gone up to the Boardwalk to eat when staying at Pop or AoA, since the transportation is so easy and fast.

I usually request building 7 at POFQ. It is the nearest building to POR, but not a bad distance from the amenities at POFQ either. I have not had any issues with food quality at POFQ, but have also utilized the restaurants at POR when staying there.

I agree that if you want a “deluxe lite” experience, the tower at CSR is a good compromise. It is the closest you will get to that feel at a moderate resort.

Personally, I would do CBR for the Skyliner access. I don’t feel CBR is any more spread out than CSR if you aren’t staying in the tower. If you request the area between the CBR Skyliner and the Riviera Skyliner, you are just across the bridge from the main amenities at CBR. Using the Skyliner also gives you easy access to the food options in the Crescent Lake area. We have even gone up to the Boardwalk to eat when staying at Pop or AoA, since the transportation is so easy and fast.
That was my thought too with the skyliner, opens up more options to visit other resorts to eat or walk around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter