• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which moderate resort is closest to Fort Wilderness

mstmp

So excited for my next Magical Trip!
I want to start off by saying this is my very first post. But I have been to Disney about 10 times. This will be my first time as a married couple and our son will be almost 5 when we go :).

Okay we are not going until October 2011, I know it seems so far away but I am still so excited.

My whole family is going, two sisters there husbands and children and our parents YAY! Sister in law and her son as well, My cousin, her husband and there daughter. And my Aunt whom I am named after. So a grand total of 18!

We are all staying at Fort Wilderness, my Dad has always wanted to stay there. We have stayed at Polynesian and Grand Floridian and Port Orleans in the past, but my Dad always wanted to stay here.

Unfortunatley my sister in law just cannot afford FW so she will stay in one of the other Moderate resorts.
Does anyone on here know which of the there is closest to FW:
Port Orleans
Corando
Carribean

Thanks So much! :cool1:

Thank you for such a quick response. Very helpful:)

Actually POR is not that far from FW. There is a direct connection reoad to get from POR to FW- getting back is a different story. Now if you don't have a car the story is different as it really doesn't matter- none of them are close enough to walk and all of them would mean transfering through multiple buses.

Another possible option for your sister may be renting points from a DVC member and staying in a studio at Wilderness Lodge. She would have to be ready to trust someone and may very well not be able to cancel or change dates but it might be about the same cost as a moderate.

Do you think this is a crazy idea.
She could take the ferry over from FW to MK and then take a bus directly to PO.

That way she can avoid multiple buses.
Also I will look into Wilderness lodge DVC.
Thanks!

Do you think this is a crazy idea.
She could take the ferry over from FW to MK and then take a bus directly to PO.

That way she can avoid multiple buses.
Also I will look into Wilderness lodge DVC.
Thanks!

The ferry is a bit smaller and they fill up quickly. But that would be the most direct way to go.

Another way to go is to take the bus to DTD, and then walk over to the dock and take the water taxi back to POR. But their last run from DTD is 11:00 pm.

Here's a wild idea - you could actually CAMP at FW.

If you are staying at Wilderness lodge, your sister in law could stay at the Fort Wilderness camp grounds, which is considered a moderate.
If they have a camper, they could rent a site, or they can rent a cabin.
I believe Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness camp grounds border each other, and connect via a path.
That way, it would almost be like staying at the same resort.

I want to start off by saying this is my very first post. But I have been to Disney about 10 times. This will be my first time as a married couple and our son will be almost 5 when we go :).

Okay we are not going until October 2011, I know it seems so far away but I am still so excited.

My whole family is going, two sisters there husbands and children and our parents YAY! Sister in law and her son as well, My cousin, her husband and there daughter. And my Aunt whom I am named after. So a grand total of 18!

We are all staying at Fort Wilderness, my Dad has always wanted to stay there. We have stayed at Polynesian and Grand Floridian and Port Orleans in the past, but my Dad always wanted to stay here.

Unfortunatley my sister in law just cannot afford FW so she will stay in one of the other Moderate resorts.
Does anyone on here know which of the there is closest to FW:
Port Orleans
Corando
Carribean

Thanks So much! :cool1:

Port Orleans is close. As you leave Port Orleans turn right instead of left. At the end of that roar turn left and Fort wilderness is on that road.

First ...

:welcome: to the DISboards!

Like a PP mentioned, Port Orleans - Riverside is the closest Mod to FW. We've stayed there a few times and really like it! :thumbsup2

:confused: Are those that are staying at Fort Wilderness staying in a cabin or at a campsite? We stayed in a cabin one year. Very fun. They can sleep 5 people comfortably. Can your sister in-law and son stay with one of the other family members????? If not, it may leave them feeling left out if everyone else is at a different resort. Also, the logistics of them staying at a different resort may be a pain as they would have to go back and forth between the resorts.

Just an idea. :wizard:

:goodvibes Jennifer

Port Orleans is close. As you leave Port Orleans turn right instead of left. At the end of that roar turn left and Fort wilderness is on that road.

We found this road last year and just discovered how close POR is to FW!

We are flying from Boston so camping would really not be too convienent. I did tell her some nights just to sleep on the murphy bed and my nephew can sleep on the bunk.

But I know some nights she would like her own space and I know my husband and I would like some space too. Some nights would be fine, but I really do not want to share a cabin with all of us. I know there is plenty of room.

She actually is not even my sister in law she is my brother in law's ex girlfriend. They have not been together for years, but I stayed close friends with her since my brother in law is not such a nice guy and the worst father ever. And we are really close with our nephew CJ who will be 12 at the time of travel. i just do not know what to call her. .

I think my cousin and her husband and there daughter will stay wherever my nephew and my, not so sure what to call her my nephew's mother, my friend.
Anyway, there will be some other's staying at the other moderate resort.

On the nights that run later, she will just stay with us. I already told her to plan on leaving extra bathing suits with us and a set of clothes.

This is our big family trip and my Dad REALLY has always wanted to stay here and now he can sit on the porch and enjoy his 4 grandkids.

Thanks Everyone! I love this forum

We are flying from Boston so camping would really not be too convienent. I did tell her some nights just to sleep on the murphy bed and my nephew can sleep on the bunk.

But I know some nights she would like her own space and I know my husband and I would like some space too. Some nights would be fine, but I really do not want to share a cabin with all of us. I know there is plenty of room.

She actually is not even my sister in law she is my brother in law's ex girlfriend. They have not been together for years, but I stayed close friends with her since my brother in law is not such a nice guy and the worst father ever. And we are really close with our nephew CJ who will be 12 at the time of travel. i just do not know what to call her.

I think my cousin and her husband and there daughter will stay wherever my nephew and my friend (CJ's mom) stay.

On the nights that run later, she will just stay with us. I already told her to plan on leaving extra bathing suits with us and a set of clothes.

This is our big family trip and my Dad REALLY has always wanted to stay here and now he can sit on the porch and enjoy his 4 grandkids.

Thanks Everyone! I love this forum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter