Which moderate is most convenient to MK without a car?

Surgie2

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping and planning to stay at the Poly in 2018 but depending on pricing, I may need to look at a moderate resort. Due to the ages of kids in our family we expect to spend the bulk of our time at MK but will go to the other 3 parks. If we choose to rely on WDW transportation, which moderate resort would be most convenient for transportation?

My favorites are Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter. They are located close to Disney Springs and Epcot but are central to all the major parks.

The closest option would be a cabin at Fort Wilderness. They are considered moderate, have boat access to the MK, and the cabins are really nice. Just be aware the FW is huge and has its own internal bus system you would need to use to go just about anywhere. All the other moderates are going to be a bus ride away.
My next suggestion would be Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter. I would say are the next closest, they are near Epcot, and are lovely.

As far as time goes, you are only talking about a couple minutes difference between any of them. For our family, transportation is very low on our list when picking a resort, we much rather look at the theme, amenities etc. It really does not matter which resort or even level of resort you stay at, transportation can be hit or miss on any given day. Cannot tell you how many posts I read where one said buses were horrible and another (staying at the same resort during the same time period) said the buses were great:rotfl2:

I agree with @buzznina . There isn't a very big difference between transportation times from each of the Moderate Resorts. While CSR might be the most centrally located, it is also the most spread out and the theme park buses make a loop around the resort before departing for the parks. If I were choosing among the Moderates, I would focus on the theme, amenities and the pool areas with a concentration on what would make my fellow travelers happy.

I agree with @buzznina . There isn't a very big difference between transportation times from each of the Moderate Resorts. While CSR might be the most centrally located, it is also the most spread out and the theme park buses make a loop around the resort before departing for the parks. If I were choosing among the Moderates, I would focus on the theme, amenities and the pool areas with a concentration on what would make my fellow travelers happy.

That makes sense. But our kids will be 4, 5, 5 and 13 months so honestly we have to make the lodging choice about what will work best for parents (returning to the hotel midday with the baby). The kids will be so excited for WDW they will be happy with any theme or pool:)

IMHO they're all pretty much inconvenient to MK. ;) To the extent the cabins are moderates, I guess they win.

As others have said, all the moderates are pretty much the same distance, MK is the farthest park out from all the resorts except the actual MK deluxe resorts and the cabins. I always drive down and use the Disney transportation every time I go so I've used them all since I've stayed in all the resorts except WL and SS, the bus is the bus is the bus.

Something else with regard to the FW cabins, you'll also get a full kitchen, living room, plus they can easily sleep 6 - although are the most expensive "moderate" option I believe. Since you'll be sending the most time near MK - the boat access is really great. There is one that goes directly to the MK and one to the Contemporary. So if the monorail is a must (like it is for us), we just hopped the boat to the contemporary and jumped on.
Otherwise with all the other moderates, its are just a matter of how much longer you'll be on the bus and if you'll need to take another one. But we've also stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and loved it.

That makes sense. But our kids will be 4, 5, 5 and 13 months so honestly we have to make the lodging choice about what will work best for parents (returning to the hotel midday with the baby). The kids will be so excited for WDW they will be happy with any theme or pool:)
Well I just saw that you are "technically" a family of 5, so that already eliminates POFQ.
At CSR you could only reserve a Jr Suite, which i would suggest looking into. It gives you more room and they normally have very good bus service, but it does have multiple bus stops.
Then you have POR, CBR and the cabins and all 3 have multiple bus stops with CBR and the cabins also having an internal bus route. The cabins would definitely give you the most room, but you may have to deal with using the internal bus to get to the boat dock, depending on where your cabin is located. At either POR or CBR, I would suggest reserving a preferred category that will keep you close to everything. So the cabins are the closest to MK and the other 3 are no more then 1-2 minute difference as far as travel time between them. I will mention that CBR standard room is slightly bigger (340 sq ft vs 314) then the standard rooms at POR and CSR.
Unlike Praying Colonel, I do not think that any WDW resort is really inconvenient to get to any of the parks. I think they do a very good job moving the great number of people back and forth.

With 6 of you, other than FW, you will be limited to CBR or POR unless you want to get two rooms. Both are huge resorts. The other mods (CSR and POFQ) only sleep 4 per room, I believe. With the age of your children, I would choose CBR and a preferred room. The pool area here is awesome for small children. Plus the tropical island atmosphere is very relaxing. If you don't plan to book a preferred option, then I would stay POR and request as near to the food court as possible. (POR has fewer bus stops).

Something else with regard to the FW cabins, you'll also get a full kitchen, living room, plus they can easily sleep 6 - although are the most expensive "moderate" option I believe. Since you'll be sending the most time near MK - the boat access is really great. There is one that goes directly to the MK and one to the Contemporary. So if the monorail is a must (like it is for us), we just hopped the boat to the contemporary and jumped on.
Otherwise with all the other moderates, its are just a matter of how much longer you'll be on the bus and if you'll need to take another one. But we've also stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and loved it.

I like the FW cabins idea the best, if it is in the budget, as well. Getting breakfast in your kitchen can save some $$$ and the boat access is much nicer than buses, IMO.

Another option might be the Swan or Dolphin. The prices there can be about the same as a moderate with one of the many discounts that they offer. The Swan/Dolphin is just as good as any moderate for bus transportation to the MK, but has the advantage of boats or walking to from the DHS and Epcot.

Well I just saw that you are "technically" a family of 5, so that already eliminates POFQ.
At CSR you could only reserve a Jr Suite, which i would suggest looking into. It gives you more room and they normally have very good bus service, but it does have multiple bus stops.
Then you have POR, CBR and the cabins and all 3 have multiple bus stops with CBR and the cabins also having an internal bus route. The cabins would definitely give you the most room, but you may have to deal with using the internal bus to get to the boat dock, depending on where your cabin is located. At either POR or CBR, I would suggest reserving a preferred category that will keep you close to everything. So the cabins are the closest to MK and the other 3 are no more then 1-2 minute difference as far as travel time between them. I will mention that CBR standard room is slightly bigger (340 sq ft vs 314) then the standard rooms at POR and CSR.
Unlike Praying Colonel, I do not think that any WDW resort is really inconvenient to get to any of the parks. I think they do a very good job moving the great number of people back and forth.

A Junior Suite at CSR costs about the same as 1 BR at OKW, which sleeps 5 and has a full kitchen. The cabin is about $100 less on average per night than a CSR Jr. Suite, so I would recommend the cabin over the Jr. Suite.

Look at renting DVC points for the Poly at the 10 month mark. I'd guess it would be about $50 more a night if you don't go during a busy period. However, doing so would eliminate most other possible savings like free dining (rare), room discounts, etc. with a moderate.

I really enjoyed Colorado Springs when I was there for a convention. It is a large resort as far as walking around the lake, but I found our room in the Castias' section to be very close to the lobby and there was a bus stop right outside our building. There are internal bus stops, but it was really no big deal. It did not take much time at all. We were 1st one and 1st dropped off.

If I was going there as a family, I would get 2 preferred rooms. The cabana section is fantastic and a great location.

CSR is no where near as spread out as CBR. No where near. Plus having only 4 stops compared to the 7 at CBR makes the trips to the parks go by that much quicker.

The only moderates your family "fits" into are CBR and POR. I put "fits" into quotations as while you can technically fit, I have been there, done that, and would never ever recommend it. It was the only vacation I was glad we were doing a split stay, and the second part was off site. Someplace with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchen.

What about Wilderness Lodge? It costs much less than the Polynesian and will give you the proximity to MK that you want, especially for mid day breaks.

??????

SIZE: CBR is the largest, then POR is next, then CSR then POFQ. CSR is def not the largest and most spread out.
BUS: CSR has 4 stops as does POR which loop before leaving, and CBR has almost double that.

OP because you have 4 kids (one baby) you are limited as to where you can stay so start first on the rooms you fit it in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter