Which is better: Riverside or French Quarter

eastcarolinafan

When I put on my Mickey ears I can hear Small Worl
We are going in mid October and are booked at POR. Should we change to FQ?

We are going in mid October and are booked at POR. Should we change to FQ?

My DF and I staid at POR in 2005. One thine we did not like out it was the shear distance to the main building to catch the bus. There are other stops, and in face there was one pretty close behind our building. However, on two occassions, full busses passed us by.

I've heard that the FQ does not have that problem, but we've never staid FQ.

Good luck.

I've stayed at both more than one time, and I prefer POR.

POFQ is smaller, but when you have a room on the edges of the resort (as we did during our last stay) it can still be a hike to the bus stop. At POR there are 4 bus stops, so your room will always be pretty close to one of them. POR also has a much larger gift shop and a better food court.

The main pool at POR has a better theme, imho. The pool at POFQ while nice seems more geared towards toddlers, with the beautiful to look at but small dragon slide. And if you are not in the mood to hear all the commotion at the main pool POR also has quiet pools. POFQ has just the one pool.

They are both nice resorts, but I like POR more than I do POFQ.

I'm in the midst of planning an upcoming trip and I'm conflicted over choosing POFQ or POR. I've been leaning towards POFQ just because it's small and easy to get around and the boats and buses come to POFQ before POR (I think). I've stayed at both when I was a little kid, and I do remember liking POR more, but it is MUCH bigger than POFQ and that makes me want to choose POFQ.

I've stayed at both and love them both!!! I would give the slight edge to POFQ for the smaller size but really feel you can't go wrong with either of them!!! Good luck with your decision!:thumbsup2

I've stayed at both more than one time, and I prefer POR.

POFQ is smaller, but when you have a room on the edges of the resort (as we did during our last stay) it can still be a hike to the bus stop. At POR there are 4 bus stops, so your room will always be pretty close to one of them. POR also has a much larger gift shop and a better food court.

The main pool at POR has a better theme, imho. The pool at POFQ while nice seems more geared towards toddlers, with the beautiful to look at but small dragon slide. And if you are not in the mood to hear all the commotion at the main pool POR also has quiet pools. POFQ has just the one pool.

They are both nice resorts, but I like POR more than I do POFQ.

:thumbsup2 ITA!!!:thumbsup2

But...our family is pretty much split right down the middle on this debate. Myself and youngest DS prefer POR, while DH and oldest DS prefer POFQ.

Last year we took DD, DSIL, and DGD. We stayed at POR and they loved it. They have never stayed at POFQ, but took a walk over there one afternoon and of course they saw it on the boat and buses and said they would still pick POR to stay in again. DGD loved the pools at both resorts (but she was only 14 mos. old). DS prefers the main pool at POR and loves the quiet pools there.

Split down the middle, I think. Our reservations stand right now at Riverside. I suppose I will keep them there, at least for now. As for location, how close is it to the pool and a bus stop?

Also, -- and I realize I am asking a lot -- our only other trip was last year and we stayed at CBR. We really enjoyed it because it was so beautiful and very, very, very quiet. Can we expect more of the same in Riverside, or is there more of a "Value Resort" party atmosphere? Not knocking that kind of thing, it's just not for us. As you can tell from our picture, I am a bit older than most Disney fanatics and my party days are behind me.

Is POR geared toward us geezers?

As a fellow geezer, :goodvibes I can tell you that we really enjoyed POR. We didn't experience anything near a "party" atmosphere. We were in Acadian House and while a lot of people dislike that location (claim it is too far from the central areas), we loved it!

It was nice and quiet, the quiet pool was just that...nice and relaxing in the afternoons. We NEVER heard any of our neighbors, anyone walking by outside, pool noise, etc.

We have also stayed at CBR and the main difference to me was that the walkways seemed to be much more shaded at POR than CBR.

We were in Acadian House and these were our distances to everything:
Quiet pool: Out our door, turned right, past 2 rooms, down the stairs, straight out to the pool (maybe 20 steps).
Food court/main bldg: Out the door, turned left past 1 or 2 rooms, round the corner, few steps to elevator (we were on 3rd flr), down, took a left, about 2 minutes walk to the main pool area, over the bridge and to the FC in another couple of minutes.
Bus stops: If we wanted to catch at the main stop, it was just on out the front of the main bldg once we made it there. We mostly caught the bus at the north depot which was about a 3 minute walk from our room.

Hope you have a wonderful stay!!!:)

Well my vote is for POFQ! Really the entire resort is beautiful, you cannot go wrong with either one, if anyone in your party has problems walking (older or young) then go with the French Quarter.

We've been to Disney World many times but we've always stayed at the Value resorts. Our next trip June 2-10, 2010 we're staying at Riverside. I am going to request Alligator Bayou as I love the rustic look that I've seen in photos.
I've been reading all I can about POR here on the DIS and I'm very excited to say the least!! I can't wait to book our package when Disney finally releases them which will hopefully be soon. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info!!

Carla

One drawback at POFQ is the boat service. We stayed there 1 time and found that when getting a boat to DTD, POR gets on the boat first. The boat would come to POFQ sometime full or with limited seating thus requiring numerous boats to come before we could get on.

We stayed at POR in one of the mansions and loved the resort. When the boats came for downtown Disney, they were limiting the number of people that could go on them so that POFQ could have an equal number, just to make it fair.

I haven't stayed at POFQ but did walk there from POR, and it seems to be more compact, if that is what you are looking for. If you don't want a long hike to the buses, you could try to request a building that is closer to the main building.

POR was very nice and quiet, and we found it restful. Again, you could make a request to be close to a pool or a bus stop, depending upon your preferences. I think that POR has a more "woodsy, country" feel to it and POFQ seems to be more of a "civilized" feel.

Both resorts have their share of people who love them, so I would look at pictures and choose one.

Another vote for FQ. We are both in our early 50's,no kids. Loved the quiet,peaceful feeling about the resort. I would definately stay there again!

I prefer POFQ. I like the feel of the whole resort. I even like the pool there more than the one at POR. When we stayed at POR we stayed in the Alligator Bayou rooms, Building #14, which was nice and close to the food court. Busses aren't an issue with us since we drive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter