• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which excursions should we choose?

hsunhsi

Earning My Ears
Hi Guys!

I'm going on the Magic this December with my SO and would like to know what are your suggestions in terms of which port excursions are better! This is our second time with DCL and our first one was Wonder..We didn't do any excursions on our last cruise so we thought to take advantage this time to visit some of these places.

Cozumel-
Should we sign up for the "Cozumel Highlights, Ruins and Discover Mexico Cultural Park" OR "Tulum Ruins".

Grand Cayman-
"Dolphin Swim and Stingray City" better or the "Dolphin Swim at Dolphinarius" from Cozumel.

Castaway Cay-
Is the parasailing worth it? or just skip it and enjoy beach time at Serenity Beach and snorkeling.

Do we need to bring our passport when we leave the ship or is it better to keep in the safe?

Many Thanks!

We did the Tulum Ruins. It was interesting but I don't think I would do it again. There is a pretty lengthy bus ride to the site. You have a guided tour and then some time to look around or shop on your own. The day we were there, the beach was closed. Lunch was a sub sandwich served on the bus.

Hi Guys!

I'm going on the Magic this December with my SO and would like to know what are your suggestions in terms of which port excursions are better! This is our second time with DCL and our first one was Wonder..We didn't do any excursions on our last cruise so we thought to take advantage this time to visit some of these places.

Cozumel-
Should we sign up for the "Cozumel Highlights, Ruins and Discover Mexico Cultural Park" OR "Tulum Ruins".

Grand Cayman-
"Dolphin Swim and Stingray City" better or the "Dolphin Swim at Dolphinarius" from Cozumel.

Castaway Cay-
Is the parasailing worth it? or just skip it and enjoy beach time at Serenity Beach and snorkeling.

Do we need to bring our passport when we leave the ship or is it better to keep in the safe?

Many Thanks!
Really, it's impossible for any of us to tell you what you'll like. We don't know your group make up (adults/children/grandparents?) We don't know what interests everyone has. We don't know the toleration levels you all have for how long you're willing to ride on a bus.

I will point out the Tulum Ruins requires a 45 minute ferry ride that can be quite a problem for anyone who experiences sea sickness (that's each way).

I also don't like captive dolphin programs. Sorry, but it's just not how dolphins are supposed to be living.

Only you can know for sure what your family would enjoy. Whichever you choose will be a delight! Bon Voyage.

Hi Hsunshi! I really loved parasailing on CC and have some very unique photographs (yes, you can take a camera, and yes, you will stay dry if you wish) of the docked ship. Enjoy!

Grand Cayman-

My family of 4 plus in-laws just got off the Fantasy a week ago.
Adults over the age of 18 must have a government provided photo ID with them when they leave the ship at port. Passport or Driver's License is fine. I would recommend leaving the passport in the stateroom safe.

We did the Dolphin Swin at Dolphinarius in Cozumel. It was FANTASTIC. You are a 5-7 minute cab ride (included) from the port to the facility. You spend about 45 minutes in the water; groups are about 10-12 people. They have about 4 or 5 stations with 10-12 people at each. Each group works with 2 Dolphins. You get to rub them down, they swim around you, they kiss you, you kiss them, they take you for a ride! The time in water is great, the trainers answer any/all questions. The lunch they provide was not so good. It the adult beverages are cool and included. You are free to leave (via cab, included) whenever you are ready. We did the first session and we were able to be back for a late lunch on the ship.

He cost is rather high but it is a great experience for the kids (& adults). Get ready to dig deep when you get to the photo booth, they take a lot of really good pictures and they are costly as well. They will make a deal and you can get all of your groups photos on a CD and 6 prints for a small car payment. Of course we did it. The pictures and memories are fantastic!

I would highly recommend it for the experience; other than the water time, it is only ok though.

My family had fun at the Dolphin swim at Dolphinarius. My husband and I went to Xel Ha and, as @PrincessShmoo pointed out, the long ferry ride made it not worth it - by the time we went back and forth, and with how early they get you back so you don't miss your boat, it wasn't worth the day. So keep that in mind when you look at excursions.

I can't help with Grand Cayman as we haven't been there yet, but my rule on Castaway is no excursions on Castaway lol! Honestly this will be my third visit and I'm looking forward to maybe being able to explore the island this time! There's so much going on just to be there, there's no reason to spend money, especially your first time. Unless you actively dislike beaches I guess? Maybe if you dislike beaches :) Save the money for your dolphin pictures, I hear they cost an absolute king's ransom...

We did the Tulum Ruins. It was interesting but I don't think I would do it again. There is a pretty lengthy bus ride to the site. You have a guided tour and then some time to look around or shop on your own. The day we were there, the beach was closed. Lunch was a sub sandwich served on the bus.
Is there anything else to do beside tour around the place. How long do you stay there?

Grand Cayman-

My family of 4 plus in-laws just got off the Fantasy a week ago.
Adults over the age of 18 must have a government provided photo ID with them when they leave the ship at port. Passport or Driver's License is fine. I would recommend leaving the passport in the stateroom safe.

We did the Dolphin Swin at Dolphinarius in Cozumel. It was FANTASTIC. You are a 5-7 minute cab ride (included) from the port to the facility. You spend about 45 minutes in the water; groups are about 10-12 people. They have about 4 or 5 stations with 10-12 people at each. Each group works with 2 Dolphins. You get to rub them down, they swim around you, they kiss you, you kiss them, they take you for a ride! The time in water is great, the trainers answer any/all questions. The lunch they provide was not so good. It the adult beverages are cool and included. You are free to leave (via cab, included) whenever you are ready. We did the first session and we were able to be back for a late lunch on the ship.

He cost is rather high but it is a great experience for the kids (& adults). Get ready to dig deep when you get to the photo booth, they take a lot of really good pictures and they are costly as well. They will make a deal and you can get all of your groups photos on a CD and 6 prints for a small car payment. Of course we did it. The pictures and memories are fantastic!

I would highly recommend it for the experience; other than the water time, it is only ok though.

Hi Gre Raven,

Thank you for the comment! Sounds like he Dolphin Swim at Dolphinarius is a lot of fun! If you remember, may I ask how much did you pay for the deal and how much was the original price? I read many reviews saying that the price of these photos are pretty ridiculous.

Thank you :)

My family had fun at the Dolphin swim at Dolphinarius. My husband and I went to Xel Ha and, as @PrincessShmoo pointed out, the long ferry ride made it not worth it - by the time we went back and forth, and with how early they get you back so you don't miss your boat, it wasn't worth the day. So keep that in mind when you look at excursions.

I can't help with Grand Cayman as we haven't been there yet, but my rule on Castaway is no excursions on Castaway lol! Honestly this will be my third visit and I'm looking forward to maybe being able to explore the island this time! There's so much going on just to be there, there's no reason to spend money, especially your first time. Unless you actively dislike beaches I guess? Maybe if you dislike beaches :) Save the money for your dolphin pictures, I hear they cost an absolute king's ransom...

Thanks a bunch! This helps a lot. :)

Is there anything else to do beside tour around the place. How long do you stay there?

You tour with a guide around the place, then there's a short beach break (about an hour or so) before you load up again on the bug, get your sandwich (lunch) and eat it on the bus ride back to the ferry. It was an all day excursion.

I think we had around an hour after the guided tour. As I said before, the beach was closed the day we were there. There is a shopping area. A big store with souvenirs and some smaller stall type of shops.

My husband and daughter did the Tulum Ruins and loved it! In Grand Cayman we swam with the stingrays, did island tour and stopped at the turtle farm.

Loved going to Stingray City and the Turtle Farm on Grand Cayman. Cozumel is all about the beach at Chankanaab for me with a big pineapple filled with pina colada. I used to pack the schedule with excursions and just felt like we were rushing around everywhere and never got to relax and enjoy the views, so planning more beach time this next cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter