• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Disney resort holds that special memory for you?

The resort with my best memories has to be Pop Century. As you can see from my signature, we have been going there almost yearly since 2005. Our daughters, who were children when we started going there, are now grown and gone. We still gather every year at Pop. Lots of good family memories there. It feels like we are going home when we get there.

I've been fortunate enough to stay quite a few places on property over the years,and have special memories from each. I also have special memories from other places I haven't stayed, but have had meals or hung out, or shopped, or walked around at. But - since I posted something in another thread earlier today that led to this thread being created, and I don't want to bore anybody with my list of memories :), I'll just cut/paste what I posted earlier today in that other thread.

CBR (Martinique, to be exact - which I think is now Preferred because of proximity to OPR) was the first resort I stayed at in WDW, in Feb. of '93. I've stayed there twice since then. So it will always have a special place in my heart. I was actually pretty proud of myself, as I was "the planner" for that extended family trip, and I picked out such a great place, not knowing anything about WDW at all. The research for that trip (bought the Birnbuam's, and the Unofficial Guides), and joined the Disney Forum on Prodigy, plus the WDW experience itself is what got me "into" Disney in the first place, and into the whole social media scene, even though the "family" part of the trip pretty much bit. LOL

Great idea for a thread, Phi! (and Mary Jo!) :)

Last edited:
We have stayed at almost all the resorts (except the YC, FW and AoA) over the last 20 years and honestly most of the trips merge together into a blur. That being said, one of the best memories at a resort belongs to the Polynesian. We stayed there over Christmas of 2002. My DD was 3 years old and we were assigned a room that overlooked the monorail. She was so excited to see the monorail from our room! To this day we say "Monorail Lello!" when we see Monorail Yellow go by ... it was her favorite color at the time :). My other favorite memory is from BWV. We booked a Boardwalk View and my DH and I sat on our balcony with a glass of champagne and watched the dance of the Friendship boats in the wee hours of January 1st.

Hmm.. I have a few answers.

All Star Music is the first place we stayed in 2014. We surprised our boys with the trip, they knew we were going to Legoland, but we made a detour first. They really knew nothing about WDW and the youngest was very unhappy because he thought it was all princesses! When we pulled in to ASM and checked in, it got cooler. The larger than life icons did them in and they were finally excited, and we hadn't reached the parks yet! We had a blast there.

Nov. 2015 we went back to CBR for a trip with my parents. The resort made my mom so happy! Walking to the food court with her every morning was so much fun. She loved the beach area and just stood and took it all in. We'd only gone for a day trip to MK when I was in 5th grade and stayed off I-4 somewhere. Watching her enjoy her retirement trip was so good for me heart.

May of this year we stayed at WL. In Nov we ate at WCC and our jaws dropped at the theme. We were those tourists taking photos of everything in the lobby. So staying there was awesome enough, but when we got up to our room on the 6th floor and could see the castle and the Contemporary, just gosh! My boys would just stand on the balcony and take it all in. Oh the big hugs the boys showered us with!
20160504_171643_HDR.jpg

We've made memories at all these places and I can't pick just one.

If I had to choose, it would probably be a toss up between Coronado Springs and the Poly.

My fiance and I stayed at Coronado on our first Disney trip together; it was his first ever trip so he was blown away! He proposed during that trip so it will always be special to us. We had no clue what we were doing, got engaged at MNSSHP, were starving afterwards, drove to McDonalds at midnight and ate McDonalds on our bed at CS to celebrate our engagement.

Second would be the Poly. We stayed there for 3 nights (rented points) last year and we were seriously just blown away. We were giddy for 3 straight days because it was just so amazing! Its been our favorite resort so far.

Art of Animation.

Granted, we have only stayed as a family at two on-site resorts -- Port Orleans Riverside and AoA. While Riverside is definitely a beautiful resort and we had a great experience, it just was not nearly as magical for our young children as AoA. To use grownups, there might be places where Riverside was more "plush," but to the kids, AoA was a dream come true. And, honestly, I think Disney has really knocked it out of the park with that resort, even as an adult. I kinda think it's unfair to lump it in with the other values. Not that they're bad, just that AoA stands apart, IMHO.

So, yes, great family memories at Art of Animation.

For me it's pop century. The first disney resort my family stayed at. We had a great experience. My daughter still talks about pop century and the hippy dippy pool lol .

Thank you for this wonderful thread! In October, 2012, my husband's uncle took the family to WDW, and at the age of 61, I experienced WDW for the first time - and my world changed. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and this September for my birthday, I'm traveling there for my ninth trip. I remember walking into the MK on the day we arrived that October just as the afternoon parade was coming around the flagpole -and I was caught up in the magic. I can still experience that magic in the MK, and the special feeling of being "home" as soon as I arrive at POR Riverside. Sounds corny, but it's true!

Thank you for this wonderful thread! In October, 2012, my husband's uncle took the family to WDW, and at the age of 61, I experienced WDW for the first time - and my world changed. We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and this September for my birthday, I'm traveling there for my ninth trip. I remember walking into the MK on the day we arrived that October just as the afternoon parade was coming around the flagpole -and I was caught up in the magic. I can still experience that magic in the MK, and the special feeling of being "home" as soon as I arrive at POR Riverside. Sounds corny, but it's true!
Not corny at all, I totally understand! (I say things like that/think they're corny all the time!) Thanx for sharing, and for the smile you gave me! :)

We have stayed in many, all across the board, but I have to say OKW is it for me. We had already been to Disney a few times, and decided to bring our in-laws with us. Walking into a 2 bedroom villa, I was awestruck at its size. It was so enjoyable and there was plenty of room for all 8 of us. Not only that, we enjoyed the laid back feel. I love the parks, but when I come back to the resort, I really enjoy being away from it all. I love the main pool area - with four active boys, I can relax at the pool, and they bounce around from the pool, to the basketball court, to the tennis courts, to the baggo and ping pong table. OKW peaked our interest in DVC. We waited, did our research, and eventually bought resale at SSR because of the longer expiration date. We've stayed at OKW 2 more times with our boys, and 2 times with just DH and me. This past spring, we had saved up our points, and spent 2 nights at PVB, followed by 9 nights at BWV. It was fabulous - but I love that my boys after talking about how much they loved our trip, asked to please stay at OKW next time because they miss it.

My first visit to WDW was in 1992. It is a memorable trip for many reasons, if not only that it was my first (and turned out to be only) adult vacation with my sister. We had never been to a resort, let alone a Disney resort, and it was special from the time we checked in at (forever) Dixie Landings. We didn't know what to expect, but certainly didn't expect to board a golf cart and be driven to our building. It was like being on Fantasy Island. I still remember that tour. The cast member narrated the entire way as we rode over the river and to our building, pointing out ares of interest along the way. It was so special!

My first WDW resort was the Swan...I enjoy the work of architect Michael Graves... Back then there was a tram that ran on the sidewalk between the Swan and the World Showcase entrance, along where the Boardwalk would eventually be built. Seeing the Epcot area resorts lit up at night: the Swan, the Dolphin, and the Yacht & Beach Club's pool SAB was absolutely magical.

Next few trips we stayed at the Y&BC for the pool. I was so bummed when the Boardwalk was built since it took away from the elegance of the area IMO (but I've since grown used to it).

We have stayed at the Poly a few times which I like, but doesn't have the magic of the Epcot area of resorts for me.
Someday I'd like to stay in the Contemporary Atrium theme park view. :flower1:

POFQ for sure...I caught a flight home from deployment to Jacksonville, drove through terrible traffic (SuperBowl weekend, of course) and arrived to POFQ to see my dear 4 year old (at the time!) for the first time in several months after missing all those holidays in the fall including her 4th birthday. I remember exactly where I was when I saw her sweet face. It was magic :)

Childhood- Polynesian. My parents visited WDW for the first time in 1972 and stayed at The Polynesian VR and fell in love. We stayed there over and over again through the years. Both mom and dad have passed, and I a cherish our memories there.

Adult- Wilderness Lodge. First resort my children experienced. I can still picture them running across the bridge in the lobby towards the elevators.

Disney is about memories for me!

POFQ for sure...I caught a flight home from deployment to Jacksonville, drove through terrible traffic (SuperBowl weekend, of course) and arrived to POFQ to see my dear 4 year old (at the time!) for the first time in several months after missing all those holidays in the fall including her 4th birthday. I remember exactly where I was when I saw her sweet face. It was magic :)
Awwwww.....what a sweet memory. And thank you for your service, and sacrifices!

Childhood- Polynesian. My parents visited WDW for the first time in 1972 and stayed at The Polynesian VR and fell in love. We stayed there over and over again through the years. Both mom and dad have passed, and I a cherish our memories there.

Adult- Wilderness Lodge. First resort my children experienced. I can still picture them running across the bridge in the lobby towards the elevators.

Disney is about memories for me!

I love that your two memories are you as a kid with your parents and now you as a parent with your kids ... and I bet your parents felt similar about the Poly to how you do for Wilerness lodge

Disney helps create family memories and family helps create Disney memories!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter