Which COVID test did you get at Walgreen's in Orlando?

MainStreetMouse

Mouseketeer
Which one is accepted for travel back into CANADA?

Orlando area Walgreens has three options.

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)
or
Diagnotic Lab Test (PCR)

I know the third option (Rapid Antigen Test) is not accepted for travel back to CANADA.

The reason I asked, I booked the PCR test, and after taking the test I was advised I would receive the in 3 to 5 days. Well any longer that 72 hours and the test will not be accepted.

Is the Rapid Diagnostic test (ID NOW) an acceptable test to return to Canada? Results are available in under 24 hours. I have made an appointment as a back up if I do not get the PCR results in time.

Have you considered booking BeeperMD? They come to your hotel and offer PCR testing with results in 36 hours or less. Best of all, it’s free! I haven’t used this service but I have them booked for our trip in December.

It looks like the Rapid Diagnostic (NOW) is an NAAT test which IS a permissible test for entry into Canada (I just google searched it - please do so as well to confirm as I'd hate to say yes and be wrong). I found this to be very confusing as well when trying to find a Walgreens appointment (which were full for our time purposes).

It's the ID NOW NAAT test that you want to get. They offer PCR as well but results take longer to come back. The ID Now test results are within 24 hours.

Yes, the Rapid Diagnostic Test is good.

ID NOW is a NAAT test. https://www.molecularvisionlab.com/covid19-testing/order-a-abbott-id-now-naat-test/

NAAT tests are allowed.

These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests:

• Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene

Thank you all for the replies.

If I do not get the PCR results tomorrow I will get the RAPID ID test done. It's been about 24 hours since I got the PCR test, so there is still time. I have the RAID ID NOW test schedules for a little less than 24 hours to departure but hoping I will get the results in time.

Crazy times during confusing COVID travel.

We used the Rapid ID NOW test which is a NAAT test in August. The NAAT was acceptable by Canadian border services. We got our results about an hour or so after we took the test. We used the Walgreens drive through.

We did ID Now test and results in 40min!
How did you find a location that had the Naat (ID Now) test available near DW? Last time I checked Walgreens website they only showed a couple closer to downtown Orlando. Thanks!

How did you find a location that had the Naat (ID Now) test available near DW? Last time I checked Walgreens website they only showed a couple closer to downtown Orlando. Thanks!
I looked on the Walgreens web site and entered my hotels postal code in the search. We went to the one on 12100 S. Apopka Vineland.
You have to make the appointment 3 days ahead, they don’t allow you to do it any sooner. When you look on the website of some stores it may say no avaibility. Pay no attention. Just calculate the dates you need. I waited till midnight to book 3 days ahead. Then someone told me web booking refreshes at 10pm!

I looked on the Walgreens web site and entered my hotels postal code in the search. We went to the one on 12100 S. Apopka Vineland.
You have to make the appointment 3 days ahead, they don’t allow you to do it any sooner. When you look on the website of some stores it may say no avaibility. Pay no attention. Just calculate the dates you need. I waited till midnight to book 3 days ahead. Then someone told me web booking refreshes at 10pm!
Awesome thanks!

I will visit in about one week from now and I am looking to Walgreens as a “plan B” (next to Beeper MD). I understand from your posts that you did a Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) at the Walgreens on 12100 S. Apopka Vineland, which is very close to Disney Springs. However, the map of available tests on Walgreens website shows that only PCR test (which goes to a lab, and takes more time) is offered there. Do I miss something? Is their map inaccurate?

I also assume that it is a drive-thru only. It is a shame as that store is within a 30-minute walk from the Marketplace...!

I will visit in about one week from now and I am looking to Walgreens as a “plan B” (next to Beeper MD). I understand from your posts that you did a Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID Now) at the Walgreens on 12100 S. Apopka Vineland, which is very close to Disney Springs. However, the map of available tests on Walgreens website shows that only PCR test (which goes to a lab, and takes more time) is offered there. Do I miss something? Is their map inaccurate?

I also assume that it is a drive-thru only. It is a shame as that store is within a 30-minute walk from the Marketplace...!

Yes, looks like that location isn't doing the ID Now tests right now or perhaps there just aren't any appointments available. If you go through all the stores, there are none that say "No tests available", so maybe it just doesn't come up if that is the case?

Last edited:
I did the ID Now, I just put in my hotels zip code, and then went by what was available. I ended to at the Walgreens on 192 & Poincianna. About 15 minutes from the resort I’m staying at. Results in 45 minutes. I said no to all the questions, no reasons needed to get tested.

FYI, if you are flying Westjet (I can speak to that as that is who I’m flying) ensure you have your ArriveCan & Covid result ready to show at checkin. They had a person doing it before the line. Of the 3 in front of me - one didn’t have Covid test because they thought they did not need one to transit thru Canada, another had wrong test, and the third filled out the ArriveCan but his wife didn’t🤦‍♀️ really bogs things down. The lady who did not have one, was arguing with every gate agent🤦‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter