Which Asian Disneyland to go to?

samtheman123

Earning My Ears
Hello,
I am a 45 year old U.K. man married to a Filipina and since November I have been living in the Philippines. I was thinking when the pandemic has died down and it’s safe to travel again and travel is back to normal with no quarantine that I would like to take my wife to an Asian Disneyland as they are the closest to the Philippines. The other option is when we next to back to the U.K. for a trip we could go to the Paris Disneyland. But which one to go to. I have read up on this and seen a few vlogs on this as well. So I found out that the Hong Kong Disneyland is the closest to the Philippines. But the best in the world is Disney Sea in Tokyo. Also Hong Kong Disneyland is the smallest and not to overcrowded. But are you missing out on the fact that the HK Disneyland is small? We do not really like rollercoasters and we are not a fan of places that are overcrowded. We also do not want to have to spend lots of money or spend lots of time waiting in line for rides or shows.
As a kid I went twice to Disneyland in Los Angeles and when I was 21 I went to Disneyland in Paris. All 3 times were such fun. But we went to the Paris Disneyland in August big mistake as it was far to overcrowded.
At the moment I am thinking maybe HK Disneyland as it’s the closest to the Philippines and the less crowded one. Or I am thinking of going to the Paris one next year if we plan to go to U.K. to see friends and family. But we would be going to U.K. if we do next summer so not a good time to visit Paris Disneyland I think.But my wife likes the sound of Tokyo. I read that HK Disneyland is being renovated at the moment. Any idea when that will be finished? I not fussed which one I go to as long as it’s not to overcrowded.
Any info on which Asian Disneyland to go to and what time of year to go when it is quiet would be great. Also we do not want to go in the middle of winter as we only have spring abs summer clothes as we live in Philippines.

We loved HK. It was small and uncrowded, but it had some really neat unique rides and our favourite food and merch of any park anywhere.

If not HK, I would recommend Shanghai. The attractions there are unlike any other park and are AMAZING. Honestly, it's worth going for Tron and Pirates alone.

We wanted to love Tokyo, but we didn't. It was stunning, but it was way too crowded and seemed to have only rides with waits of 5 minutes or 5 hours with nothing in between.

Paris...well. It's beautiful but is considered the worst Disney park for a lot of reasons.

But maybe it be best to wait until the renovations are finished at HK Disneyland.
Yeah… this^ if you’re consider HK Disneyland OP!

I did HK Disneyland in May 2019 and finished the park in less than a day easy, including repeating my favorite rides multiple times. The park was in DESPERATE need of more to do. It was not crowded, it was so quiet I found it creepy to be honest (there was no political unrest yet at the time either).

I would not compare it to Disneyland as to me HK DLR is not even in the same class of theme parks that CA DLR is- at least before the renovations. I don’t know what the renovations are bringing to the table.

I don’t think any are a bad choice, I have not been to Shanghai (it’s on my list but have to wait till after COVID). I vote for Tokyo, DisneySea has the most unique experience for an international park in my opinion.

As someone who had an annual pass to Tokyo and still has the annual pass equivalent for Hong Kong, I generally recommend Tokyo.
Tokyo has more impressive shows, attractions and food.

The real question for you is if you want a casual park where you don't wake up early but just do whatever activities are available or if you want the best designed experiences but may need to do extra planning and navigate crowds. Since you've been to other Disney parks, Hong Kong may end up being a bit disappointing while Tokyo may be more stressful.

Hong Kong is set to have a new night-time show soon and Frozen area sometime next year. Even with these, I still think it's the worst Disney resort in terms of things to do. Tokyo is slated to have a Frozen expansion by 2023 as well and Tokyo's construction projects tend not to get repeatedly delayed unlike Hong Kong's. I don't think the expansion will seriously make that much difference but it's still better to wait just to have one more thing to do.

For Tokyo, I recommend November. Christmas tends to be one of the best events and crowds are pretty manageable. It gets colder in December and late January would actually have the lowest crowds but is probably too cold for you. May after Golden Week and September are a good balance of low crowds and comfortable temperature.

For Hong Kong, Christmas season is probably also a good time for a first time visitor. For Hong Kong, random weekends can all of a sudden have large crowds for no particular reason with the Lunar New Year being the time the park is most packed. Also avoid June to early July and early October if you plan to go out to other parts of the city. These are around politically sensitive dates so police patrols may shut down parts of the city and be intimidating.

I don’t think any are a bad choice, I have not been to Shanghai (it’s on my list but have to wait till after COVID). I vote for Tokyo, DisneySea has the most unique experience for an international park in my opinion.
Did you go?

As a seasoned Disney park-goer who has visited nine parks across four different Disney resorts, I would like to endorse Shanghai Disney Resort as my top recommendation.

While the Tron Lightcycle is no longer unique to Shanghai Disney, this location still stands out as the most recent and modern addition to the Disney park family. It offers a multitude of high-tech attractions that set it apart from its counterparts. The park can get quite crowded, so I recommend choosing a less busy day for your visit.

One of the primary reasons that I recommend Shanghai Disney is that it has the largest castle of any Disney park. The Enchanted Storybook Castle's scale is unrivaled and offers a spectacle.

Another must-see is the latest version of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. It provides an unmatched experience that you won't find anywhere else.

Additionally, the Challenge Trails at Camp Discovery offer a unique and exciting adventure that is not typically associated with a Disney park. And don't be fooled by the seemingly light-hearted Woody’s Roundup – it's far more entertaining and amusing than it initially appears.

As a seasoned Disney park-goer who has visited nine parks across four different Disney resorts, I would like to endorse Shanghai Disney Resort as my top recommendation.

While the Tron Lightcycle is no longer unique to Shanghai Disney, this location still stands out as the most recent and modern addition to the Disney park family. It offers a multitude of high-tech attractions that set it apart from its counterparts. The park can get quite crowded, so I recommend choosing a less busy day for your visit.

One of the primary reasons that I recommend Shanghai Disney is that it has the largest castle of any Disney park. The Enchanted Storybook Castle's scale is unrivaled and offers a spectacle.

Another must-see is the latest version of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. It provides an unmatched experience that you won't find anywhere else.

Additionally, the Challenge Trails at Camp Discovery offer a unique and exciting adventure that is not typically associated with a Disney park. And don't be fooled by the seemingly light-hearted Woody’s Roundup – it's far more entertaining and amusing than it initially appears.

I don't like Shanghai Disneyland but a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's Shanghai.

I used to live in Shanghai before the park opened but I basically stopped going to mainland China since 2019 because the last few times I visited, I would develop a cough which lasted for like a week after I left the country. The pollution also affects the water as in some places I've stayed at in Shanghai, the water feels gross when I shower and just to test, I've even filled up a tub to find it so yellow that you couldn't see the bottom. Shanghai Pudong airport is also really bad compared to Hong Kong's airport and the two Tokyo ones.

Rude behavior of guests and CMs has also gotten to me. I've had a CM scold me just for taking an additional park map for someone I was with. I don't mind the pushing/shoving too much when in line for attractions but there's something annoying about being distracted or obstructed by rude guests during shows. Internet censorship is another issue if you're not used to using a VPN when you travel.

I'm actually not a fan of Tron in Shanghai. It's uncomfortable and unlike the one in WDW, you can't wear glasses on it. I agree that Pirates is one of the best theme park rides out there. Woody's Roundup is basically a retheme of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree in California Adventure. The Happy Ride with Baymax in Tokyo is another reskin of it but the seats have more friction so you slide less compared to Mater's and Woody's Roundup. Everybody is so happy and excited for the Happy Ride with Baymax that even waiting in line for it is fun.

I do think the park is good from an imagineering perspective, especially whey they still had the Tarzan show which had better acrobatics than shows at other Disney parks but it's not good enough for me to want to go to Shanghai again.

I appreciate #9's perspective, and I understand those concerns.

As for the water quality. If the tap water is as severely discolored as described, from my perspective, it is highly likely that the issue lies with the disrepair or materials of the indoor pipes. It's important to note that the water quality in Shanghai is generally not as poor as the extreme example mentioned, and local residents would not tolerate consistently drinking yellow water.

In terms of air pollution, Shanghai has made significant strides in improving air quality over the years. While it is an ongoing process, the current real-time Air Quality Index (AQI) in Shanghai stands at 45, which is even better than that of Orlando. While there may still be occasional fluctuations, the overall air quality in Shanghai is good during most times. It is advisable for sensitive travelers to avoid visiting on days when there are sandstorms or other adverse weather conditions.

Regarding the Tron Lightcycle ride, I understand the inconvenience for glasses-wearing guests who have to store their glasses before riding. The decision to not allow glasses on the ride is likely a safety precaution to prevent any items from being dropped while soaring over other guests' heads. Actually, I also had to take off my frame glasses the first time I was doing Tron. However, since then, I have switched to wearing contacts. Problem solved. Despite this minor inconvenience, Tron remains the most beloved attraction across all Disney parks. On YouTube, it has 30 million views, which is #1 and surpasses the view count of Pirates of the Caribbean by about six times.

Last edited:
Water quality really does vary depending on the hotel's water filtration system and as of 2018, water in some hotels I stayed at felt fine but water at others definitely was not. The example isn't meant to suggest that all places are bad but highlight that some places I've stayed at in mainland China had the worst water quality I've ever experienced anywhere in the world. When I worked in Shanghai, none of the management in my company actually thought tap water was safe to drink and would only drink bottled water. My boss actually even brushed his teeth with bottled water but most would not go that far. People I know who still go to mainland China for work still don't really trust the tap water but since I haven't stayed at hotels in China for years, I can't say firsthand if things have improved.

I'm not sure where you're getting the AQI numbers since they're not what I'm seeing. The websites I'm looking at put Shanghai consistently in the 80s and 90s vs Orlando in the 20s. The only times I've ever felt air in Shanghai wasn't super polluted was about a day or two after it rained. From my experience, an average day in Shanghai will have worse air quality than an average day at any of the other Disney parks.

These things won't bother everyone that much (I used to tolerate them too), but now that I'm a bit older, I'd really rather travel elsewhere.

I'm not sure OP still needs input on this, but I will add my 2 cents in case anyone else has the same question.

I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE HKDL and have a real soft spot for it. I've been several times and usually spend 3 or 4 days in the park (easily!). I really enjoy the more relaxed pace there, it's so easy to manage, hasn't been too crowded at the times I've been, and the CMs are always so friendly and people in general are polite - it just always feels extra magical to me :goodvibes Lines for most attractions are relatively short and fast moving, although lines for characters can get quite long. The hotels are also lovely and reasonably priced (for Disney). I would highly recommend it as a starter park, but as others have mentioned, for people who have been to larger parks, it could be disappointing.

I also enjoyed SDL the couple of times I've been there - I think both times I had 3 days in the park. It is quite different to the other parks and has a lot of unique/upgraded attractions. I agree that it is worth the trip for Pirates alone, and I intend to one day take my partner there just for that reason. I did struggle with the lack of personal space, particularly in the lines - people tend to stand VERY close together, and if you leave a small gap (in front, to the side etc), someone WILL squeeze into it. Lines also do get very long, particularly for Soarin, Raging Rapids and turkey legs 😂, but character lines were surprisingly short. Outside of the lines and shows, it's not too bad because the paths are very wide and there's a lot of space for everyone to spread out. In my experience, there has been a fair bit of rubbish lying around by the end of the night, and you will very likely see kids peeing in random places. The worst I saw was a kid peeing into a bottle in line and then the parent stuffing that bottle into a nearby crevice :crazy2:

Looking forward to experiencing TDR in a few months. I do have my concerns about the crowds and the lines, but I've been told everyone is at least very polite and respectful which I think will help. We have 4 full days there, so my plan is to spend the first day in each park getting there early with a solid plan to hit half a dozen must-dos, utilising premier access for whatever we can. It will take the pressure off a little knowing that we'll have a second day in each park. We unfortunately could not justify the cost of staying at a Disney hotel at TDR but, unlike HKDL or SDL, there are other options close by.

Having been to HK DL, I would hesitate to plan a trip specifically around that park. It is very small. There are a couple of great and unique rides (Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars) but otherwise it felt sparse. I went there for half a day and felt I had fully experienced the park, including riding the two attractions just mentioned multiple times. Overall, I was a little disappointed.

Shanghai and the two Tokyo parks are the only remaining ones I haven’t visited. I’m planning to visit Tokyo this fall and am researching. Regarding crowds, based on research, when one visits the Tokyo parks is critical: avoid weekends and pick the right month; recommendation above of November is solid, and I plan to go in early November.

Last edited:
P.S. If you were to choose between the Paris parks and Hong Kong, I would recommend Paris. Many more attractions. The Paris parks are a mixed bag, and the hotels are not up to usual Disney standards, but I would pick that over HK DL. Much more to do.

Regarding the Tron Lightcycle ride, I understand the inconvenience for glasses-wearing guests who have to store their glasses before riding. The decision to not allow glasses on the ride is likely a safety precaution to prevent any items from being dropped while soaring over other guests' heads. Actually, I also had to take off my frame glasses the first time I was doing Tron. However, since then, I have switched to wearing contacts. Problem solved. Despite this minor inconvenience, Tron remains the most beloved attraction across all Disney parks. On YouTube, it has 30 million views, which is #1 and surpasses the view count of Pirates of the Caribbean by about six times.
I’m curious- would they allow glasses with a strap? We wouldn’t be going for years, but my spouse and I are incredibly nearsighted. I can wear contacts sometimes, he can’t.

I’m curious- would they allow glasses with a strap? We wouldn’t be going for years, but my spouse and I are incredibly nearsighted. I can wear contacts sometimes, he can’t.

They allowed glasses with a strap as of January 2019, but I found that the strap was more of a hassle than it was worth - my glasses kept sliding, jostling, etc. and it was distracting and kind of dizzying. I am incredibly nearsighted and can't wear contacts, but I still enjoyed every bit of Tron even without my glasses on.

My top 3:
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Tokyo

I just didn't love Tokyo, too crowded and too many rules, I know it is the culture but it didn't work for us. Loved the guests, their enthousiasm and their passion, but out of these three parks, it would be at the bottom of my list.

Loved the relaxed vibe at Hong Kong, it was just a very pleasant place to be.

Been to all of the parks and of the 3 Asian ones, Tokyo was best. Yes the other two have awesome things about them - Mystic Manor for HKDL and POTC for SDL, but Tokyo is unmatched anywhere....

Regarding Tron, when we went to SDL in October 2017, I wore a strap on my glasses. I have ridden Tron 2x here at WDW, but come to think of it, I don't think I wore the strap (we went 2x in a row at a cast preview)....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter