• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Which area of San Diego to stay

granmaz

Dis Veteran and Old Geezer
We will be in San Diego for 3 or 4 nights in late January. We will have a car, but what we enjoy doing most is being able to walk around places. I think that, and visiting the Midway is probably all we will want to do, and visit the beach for a walk perhaps.

Which area would you choose for a hotel? I have seen the Homewood Suites Airport recommended quite a bit recently, and the rates are good, but not sure the area would be the best choice for us. We are what you would call seniors I guess!!!;)(62 and 63 year old youngsters!!) We would love a room with a view, but realise these are expensive at any time of year.

What kind of hotel do you like.

There are some motels near old town. Some Hotels down town. Also on Cornado there is a mix hotel/motels.

Well we don't mind paying for somewhere nice, but just not a ridiculous price. That isn't very helpful really is it as everyone has their own idea on price. :laughing: I guess up to around the $150 mark. There seems to be some very definite areas in San Diego to be based, just can't decide which would be best.

Which area would you choose for a hotel? I have seen the Homewood Suites Airport recommended quite a bit recently, and the rates are good, but not sure the area would be the best choice for us. We are what you would call seniors I guess!!!;)(62 and 63 year old youngsters!!) We would love a room with a view, but realise these are expensive at any time of year.

I assume you're talking about Homewood Suites San Diego airport/Liberty Station. We stayed there last year while attending a wedding around Mission Bay. Very, very nice place, good breakfast. Very convenient -- about 5 minutes to get to USS Midway, 5-10 minutes to the zoo, 5 minutes to Mission Beach. If you want to see downtown, you're gonna have to drive in (5-10 minutes) and pay for parking, but that's true no matter where you stay, unless you stay downtown. And even then, your hotel will make you pay for parking.

In any event, I recommend Homewood Suites Liberty Station.

-Bob

I'd also suggest looking around the cove in La Jolla. That along with Cornado and near the marina down town will give you the best spots to take strolls from the hotel.

I assume you're talking about Homewood Suites San Diego airport/Liberty Station. We stayed there last year while attending a wedding around Mission Bay. Very, very nice place, good breakfast. Very convenient -- about 5 minutes to get to USS Midway, 5-10 minutes to the zoo, 5 minutes to Mission Beach. If you want to see downtown, you're gonna have to drive in (5-10 minutes) and pay for parking, but that's true no matter where you stay, unless you stay downtown. And even then, your hotel will make you pay for parking.

In any event, I recommend Homewood Suites Liberty Station.

-Bob

Yes, that is the one. Gets great reviews. Thanks.

I'd also suggest looking around the cove in La Jolla. That along with Cornado and near the marina down town will give you the best spots to take strolls from the hotel.

Thanks I will take a look on the map.

You may want to check out some of the chain hotels in the downtown/convention center area.We have twice gotten a stay 3 get 4th free at the Grand Hyatt. It is a 10 minute or so walk to the Midway and the Gaslamp area.:thumbsup2
We started our trip in San Diego so we didn't bother renting a car until the day we checked out.We just walked or used cabs, public transit & the trolley tour to get around. After we checked out we got a cab to the rental car location on the airport grounds.
What ever you do take time to go over to the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado island. You can walk around the ground and the beach.We splurged and had a great lunch both time at their Cafe over looking the Pacific:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter