• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where would you stay with a big(ish) group?

PlutoGirl1117

DIS Veteran
Ok, I need help, please! My sister in law wants to do a girls trip August 2020. It would be her, her two girls (17 +19), me, my daughter and daughter in law (25+ 26) and possibly my daughters friend (25)who is like another daughter. I am trying to figure out what the best place to stay would be. Family suite, rent two separate rooms, rent DVC? We don't want to break the bank. I've been pricing everything out, or at least trying to with no real pricing for 8/2020 yet. Guesstimates look like two single rooms at ASM, a family suite at ASM or (if available) 2 studios at AKL would pretty much all work out to the same amount of $ for the two of us to split. What would you all do? I've never had to plane for such a big(ish) group and possibly needing two rooms. Thank you in advance!!

Ok, I need help, please! My sister in law wants to do a girls trip August 2020. It would be her, her two girls (17 +19), me, my daughter and daughter in law (25+ 26) and possibly my daughters friend (25)who is like another daughter. I am trying to figure out what the best place to stay would be. Family suite, rent two separate rooms, rent DVC? We don't want to break the bank. I've been pricing everything out, or at least trying to with no real pricing for 8/2020 yet. Guesstimates look like two single rooms at ASM, a family suite at ASM or (if available) 2 studios at AKL would pretty much all work out to the same amount of $ for the two of us to split. What would you all do? I've never had to plane for such a big(ish) group and possibly needing two rooms. Thank you in advance!!
Hopefully you are not planning on two Value studios at AKV because you'll never get those renting points. Plan on a standard studio at a minimum. But you'll have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa.

With seven, you won't fit in a family suite as they are limited to six persons. It would work if your daughter's friend didn't joint you.

Hopefully you are not planning on two Value studios at AKV because you'll never get those renting points. Plan on a standard studio at a minimum. But you'll have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa.

With seven, you won't fit in a family suite as they are limited to six persons. It would work if your daughter's friend didn't joint you.
Thank you! I heard they sell out fast...........which is also why I didn't know if I should even TRY! Yeah, I'm sort of hoping the friend bows out! I love her, but! She's messing up the numbers here! LOL!

Plutogirl1117, you mentioned you were renting from DVC and I know these are quite pricey and I am not sure of the availability, but the accommodations with your group size and even the amount of women would work. I am talking of the Grand Villas offered by DVC. This way you could all stay in the same space if that would work for all of you as well. Just throwing this out there if it is any possibility of making the magic happen.

Depending on dates and days of the week, a standard view Bay Lake 2 bedroom would require 43 to 57 points per night, for mid August 2020 would guess a 4 night stay would be a bit more than $3,000. And looks like might get a 2 bedroom at Animal Kingdom for about $2,000. You’re right, resort prices not set for 2020 yet but would guess could get two rooms at Pop for about $1,200. Going for 2 rooms at an All Star might cut that down to about $1,000. Don’t believe suites at Art of Animation or All Star Music would help you any. I think Pop would be worth the difference in price. And one I hadn’t thought of, a 2 bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs, up to 8 adults, king bed, 2 queen beds, 1 queen sleeper, 3 bathrooms, might cost something between Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom. Or, for something different, come up with some more friends and a little more money, and spring for a Treehouse Villa, up to 9 adults.

What about connecting rooms at Coronado Springs or POFQ? We have enjoyed both those resorts! We just love the mods! I just hate spending a lot of money on a room and have adults have to sleep on a pull out sofa...

Depending on dates and days of the week, a standard view Bay Lake 2 bedroom would require 43 to 57 points per night, for mid August 2020 would guess a 4 night stay would be a bit more than $3,000. And looks like might get a 2 bedroom at Animal Kingdom for about $2,000. You’re right, resort prices not set for 2020 yet but would guess could get two rooms at Pop for about $1,200. Going for 2 rooms at an All Star might cut that down to about $1,000. Don’t believe suites at Art of Animation or All Star Music would help you any. I think Pop would be worth the difference in price. And one I hadn’t thought of, a 2 bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs, up to 8 adults, king bed, 2 queen beds, 1 queen sleeper, 3 bathrooms, might cost something between Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom. Or, for something different, come up with some more friends and a little more money, and spring for a Treehouse Villa, up to 9 adults.
Thank you! I think you are right, the suites wouldn't be that helpful. I DO like the idea of Saratoga Springs! Ahhhhhhhh Treehouse Villa would be a dream!

What about connecting rooms at Coronado Springs or POFQ? We have enjoyed both those resorts! We just love the mods! I just hate spending a lot of money on a room and have adults have to sleep on a pull out sofa...
LOVE POFQ! Spent my "solo" trip there! Good point about having an adult on a pull out.............I think the ONLY one who would complain would be MY daughter! LOL! :sad2::lmao:

We have stayed at POR with a big family group and if worked out well. I would get two rooms and that would give you two queen beds in each room. If you request Alligator Bayou then you would have the Murphy bed, too. The resort has a really nice main pool with a pool bar. The food court is handy, the boat to Disney Springs is nice and you have a table service restaurant for dinner.

If you are thinking about renting a dvc resie, make sure you understand the cancellation policy and the bed configuration. Renting sometimes means paying in full up front with no refunds. DVC Room occupancy seldom means everybody gets a real bed.

LOVE POFQ! Spent my "solo" trip there! Good point about having an adult on a pull out.............I think the ONLY one who would complain would be MY daughter! LOL! :sad2::lmao:

:rotfl2:

I was thinking it would be fun to stay in two royal rooms at POR for a girls only trip too!

If villas are out of your price range and you are trying to travel on a budget, consider two rooms at Pop so you get 2 queen beds in each room.

WE rented a 2 bedroom at BLT for our large(-ish) group. It sleeps 9. I think that a dedicated 2 bedroom will give you 3 real beds, a pull out sofa and chair. Great location and lots of space. If only 6 go, then you all have real beds. If the 7th comes there is still the pull out, but if she opts out, you are still fine.

BLT is a great location, on the monorail and walk to the MK. WE saved a lot of $$$ by renting here.

Another option is to book 2 rooms preferred at ASMu. Request connecting rooms, but you won't be too far apart even if you don't get connecting if you stay preferred. Another choice would be two rooms at POR in RR with pool view. Almost all the rooms in that category are on one side of Oak Manor. Very likely you will get rooms very close together, but even the most distant two rooms wouldn't be very far apart.

I am talking of the Grand Villas offered by DVC
Grand Villas are rare, and difficult to book by renting points.
What about connecting rooms at Coronado Springs or POFQ?
No guarantee. Not that the OP technically <i>needs</i> connecting rooms, in fact some separation might be a not-bad thing.
If you request Alligator Bayou then you would have the Murphy bed, too.
Fifth sleeper is now an actual booking category.
If villas are out of your price range and you are trying to travel on a budget, consider two rooms at Pop so you get 2 queen beds in each room.
Two rooms at Pop or another value has another potential advantage. They could get a third room if necessary or desired. They'd still end up with the three bathrooms mentioned earlier.

OP, don't forget to account for the extra adult charges per room/night. Extra charge for rooms, but not for suites or DVC.

I'd price out 2 to 3 rooms at a value resort. I've crammed 4 adults into Pop but I was in college and it was a lot more tolerable back then.

...And one I hadn’t thought of, a 2 bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs, up to 8 adults, king bed, 2 queen beds, 1 queen sleeper, 3 bathrooms, might cost something between Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom. Or, for something different, come up with some more friends and a little more money, and spring for a Treehouse Villa, up to 9 adults.

SSR only has two bathrooms in a two bedroom villa, not three. The bathroom for the master bedroom has two sinks in two different rooms, but only one toilet, one shower and one tub. THV will have one bedroom with a set of bunk beds and these are shorter and narrower than a twin bed. Plus the room is pretty small. The other two bedrooms each have one queen sized bed. The living room has one queen sleeper sofa and a twin sleeper chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter