Where to watch 4th of July MK fireworks outside the park

Michele

DIS Veteran
we will be in Orlando on the 4th of July, but we aren't visiting the parks this trip. Where is a good place to watch from. Obviously, we are only 2 weeks out so reservations at a restaurant with viewing are probably out. I don't know if Poly beach is even still an option, we haven't seen it since they built DVC on the water.

I'm also wondering what transportation will like that day. We will have a car, but will we be limited on where we can park?

Looking for anyone with experience on the 4th

Don't try to go to the Poly beach unless you are actually staying at the Poly. You won't get in on the 4th. Or probably 3rd for that matter. I'd try watching from the TTC down by where the ferry docks, or attempt to snag a fireworks cali grill or narcoosees ressie (will be hard).

If you are not set on the MK you could head over to the Boardwalk bridge by the Swan/Dolphin. We were there last 4th of July and could see Epcot's fireworks to the left and then HS fireworks to the right (for part of the time they were going off at the same time). I actually found the Epcot fireworks to be my favorite - better than MKs. It was not very crowded at all and honestly the view was pretty good - would totally do that again.

We've watched in years past at the Poly beach and had no issues. There were so many people there I don't think they could possibly know what was going on for the most part. Though I would not "bank" on that either.

Good suggestions already. I say go for it and the worst they can say is no.

Last edited:
My new favorite places (now that the bungalows) obstruct the view at the Poly are the GF Marina and the walkway near the Luau (although the music was not heard well from there.

Liz

We have watched the MK fireworks from the employee parking lot...quite by accident, but we would totally do it again. The lot was almost empty and there were others who had pulled in to watch. You won't hear the music, but the fireworks themselves are almost right above you.

We've watched in years past at the Poly beach and had no issues. There were so many people there I don't think they could possibly know what was going on for the most part. Though I would not "bank" on that either.

There were reports last year of CMs checking bands on holidays at the Poly beach to make sure people weren't just showing up, and making those who weren't poly guests leave. (now I was not there personally and can't verify it, just heresay on the dis. I was in the park).

Regardless, IMO, if you didn't pay the price to stay there, you should not crowd the beach and take up space from those who paid for the amenity.

They check bands for a small temporary fenced in area in front of the pool for concierge guests. The rest of the grounds were open to all.

What is the seating situation like? Do people bring their own beach chairs? Are there lounge chairs?
We are staying at the Poly this 4th of July and plan on watching from the beach. How early should we get there?

You can see the MK fireworks shows very well from the TTC

(and they pipe-in clear, crisp audio from the show.)

Note: you are not allowed to stand directly in the actual Ferry loading area.

TTC-Fwx_022013_zpsf1a4f7f1.jpg

You can see them from the boat-dock and an outside

observation deck near Narcoossee's restaurant at the

Grand Floridian. Anyone can stand on Narcoossee's Deck.

The outside deck is not a part of the actual restaurant. (All serving is done inside.)

The deck is accessed from the sidewalk outside the restaurant.

Also, good viewing from the Patio overlooking the Marina.

The sound of the show is piped into these areas too.

GF-FW-Narcoo-BE_072708.jpg

At the Contemporary, there is viewing on an outdoor

observation area on the 4th floor.

The California Grill observation areas are reserved for patrons that day of the Grill or Bar.

MK-CR-BE-Deck-S_090308.gif

MK-CR-Sat-Fwx-Deck_112312.gif

(Fireworks shown above are simulated.)

At Wilderness Lodge, the "secret place" to watch the MK fireworks is from the northern area of the Cast Member (CM) Parking Lot.

WL-N_CM-Lot_091809.gif

At the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds Marina (angle shown on the map below,) some of the view (especially of the "Fantasyland" pyro) is blocked by the now unused Discovery Island in Bay Lake and by the high-rise buildings of the Contemporary Resort.

But, the view from the Ft. Wilderness' sand beach (farther north) is more open.

Still the tree-level can block the views of the lower-firing pyro.

Here are the angles of the views in the Bay Lake area.

MK-Bay-Fwx-Views_012913_zps8f10ed57.jpg

Below are the angles of the views in the Seven Seas Lagoon area.

MK-7Seas-Resorts-Fwx_012913_zps84390ca0.jpg

----------------------------------

As for viewing from INSIDE the dining area of restaurants

(you usually need ADRs for most, and they are usually busy during the shows)...

you can see (and hear) them at California Grill at Contemporary,

'Ohana at the Poly, at Trader Sam's and Trader Sam's outdoor patio at the Poly, Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian,

and (if you have access there) the Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower.

----------------------------------

What is the seating situation like? Do people bring their own beach chairs? Are there lounge chairs?
We are staying at the Poly this 4th of July and plan on watching from the beach. How early should we get there?

There were no chairs that I could tell that were set out for guests to use. Though I just may have not been able to see them from where we were sitting.

A lot of people brought their own towels/blankets, etc. to sit on. There were a lot of people there and could tell some had been there for some time. I would think 60-90 minutes prior may be a good time frame.

Robo!!!

Thank you SO much. Very helpful!!

Thanks to all for the suggestions, very appreciated!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter