Where to stay for the Hollywood part of our trip

TinkTatoo

<font color=peach>Has a Tink tattoo on her shoulde
We're Florida veterans and come over from Ireland at least once a year. Next year it's my 50th so we've decided to spend almost 3 weeks touring California before heading back to Florida for another 2 weeks. The plan is to fly into in San Francisco for 5 night, spend two nights near Monterey, 3 nights near Hollywood, 5 nights in San Diego and the last 5 nights in LA where we'll concentrate mainly on Disney.

I've got all the hotels sorted apart from the 3 nights when we're in Hollywood. It's going to be about a 6 hour drive down from Monterey so that more or less takes care of the first day / night. We're then planning to spend one day doing Universal and one day doing the Hollywood / Beverly Hills tourist things.

I initially thought of staying in Hollywood itself (somewhere around the Hollywood and Highland area) but friends of ours who visited last year put us off this idea. I have a son with autism and they felt that it wasn't the sort of area he'd feel comfortable staying in.

My other thought was to stay in Santa Monica but reading some threads on here, the commute in to Hollywood could be an issue. I'm really just after some help and wondered what you guys would suggest.

Thanks, would West Hollywood be a better place to stay than around the Hollywood & Highland area?
Well, I've only ever stayed in West Hollywood, so probably can't answer that question. Maybe there's a local on here that could answer for you?

I've stayed in various parts of LA several times on business. I'm not an expert, but here are a couple of general comments:
- Hollywood and Highland area has a few neat things to see, and the Hollywood and Highland complex itself is nice, but the area right around there in Hollywood is not the nicest-feeling; it didn't feel like a very safe area at night, though it probably was fine. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you just really had a strong desire to stay in Hollywood. I've stayed at the Hollywood Roosevelt a couple of times, and the location (and history) is great for being close to the main sights, but wouldn't really recommend it, and I expect it's one of the nicer hotels in that area.
- Santa Monica is a pretty interesting place to stay, and there were lots of areas that were interesting to walk around: the pier, beach, and third street were all interesting areas to walk around. If you were staying right there (where you could walk everywhere), it's a pretty interesting area, with several restaurants around. But, as you said, it's a bit of a drive to Hollywood. If you aren't planning to visit the beach area at all otherwise, then I would give an even stronger recommendation to Santa Monica, mainly since you would get a chance to see that area in the process of staying there. I've stayed at three different hotels in that area, from a really expensive (but quite nice) place to a cheaper (but not really cheap) but wouldn't-stay-there-again one.

I don't know much of anything about the West Hollywood area, but it would be convenient to where you are wanting to visit.

To me, LA is built for driving, so I wouldn't worry too much about driving a bit - it's not as though you'd be making that drive too many times. Which days you are there would also make a difference. If you would be staying there on Saturday/Sunday, then I wouldn't worry about driving from Santa Monica; if you're there on a weekday, then the traffic might be more of an issue. If you won't spend any time but sleeping at your hotel, then probably staying someplace walking distance to other stuff is not important, but if you will have some time to explore the area, then Santa Monica is again a pretty interesting place.

I've changed the plan slightly and instead of 3 nights in / near Hollywood we're only going to do one now. The other two nights will be spent somewhere like Pismo / Santa Barbara. I figure that as we'll we able to do Universal / Hollywood tourist stuff in 2 days / 1 night.

I'm even thinking of spending the extra day at the beach and driving to Hollywood when we're staying in LA

On my Hollywood/LA day, I'm thinking of staying in Culver City. There's a Travelodge there that has rooms with 2 king beds and has been newly renovated, and is priced pretty great. Maybe check it out on tripadvisor...

Based on this tip, I've booked the Travelodge in Culver City for the second half of my trip at the end of the month. Most of my activities will be north/west of town (WB Studios to watch a sitcom filming, USH, Getty Museum & Villa, Venice Beach), and it will be a short jaunt to LAX the morning we leave.

I'll post a review when I get back.

We'll be going by Hollywood & Highland on the day we fly in. We're hoping to see B&tB at the El Capitan. I've already signed up for the Elephant Card from the Hollywood & Highland mall, which gives a discount at the Disney Soda Shop next door.

I've changed the plan slightly and instead of 3 nights in / near Hollywood we're only going to do one now. The other two nights will be spent somewhere like Pismo / Santa Barbara. I figure that as we'll we able to do Universal / Hollywood tourist stuff in 2 days / 1 night.

I'm even thinking of spending the extra day at the beach and driving to Hollywood when we're staying in LA

Might I suggest instead of stopping off in Pismo/Santa Barbara that you instead stop off in Cambira/San Simeon. Hearst Castle is located in San Simeon and has a rich Hollywood connection due to Hearst's mistress, Marion Davies. I suggest staying in Cambria at either one of the local B&B's or along Moonstone Drive. Cute little town with some art shops and surprisingly, some good restaurants for such a small town. You'll be able to get a nice white water view form many of the inns/motels along Moonstone. The second day you could drive a short distance into Paso Robles for wine tasting, that is if you're traveling without children.

Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. Kind of like a themed wonderland hotel. NOT TO MISS! You have to stay here at least once in your life if you love Disney Land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter