• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where are all the crowds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many restaurants seem pretty full to me, or at least similar to pre-covid times. But it's hard to say for sure just based on perception. 40% is probably an old number, though. A majority of tables are definitely occupied at most places I've been. (I've been here 10 days so far, FWIW)
Maybe reservations are at 40%? But then the restaurant is allowed discretion to let in more people if they feel it is appropriate or some such, which results in 80-90%? Just a thought, no real reason to expect it other than reading a lot of people able to do walk ups despite adr being packed.

Maybe reservations are at 40%? But then the restaurant is allowed discretion to let in more people if they feel it is appropriate or some such, which results in 80-90%? Just a thought, no real reason to expect it other than reading a lot of people able to do walk ups despite adr being packed.

I think you are right. Also it really depends which restaurant you are dining in. Some we went to somewhat off the beaten path were ghost towns, whereas they would be full even in February.

You also have to factor in that there are still some restaurants that aren't open yet. So people who may typically go to those are taking up seats at others. There aren't too many left not open yet though.

We've been here since October 2nd and in my opinion and experience the crowds ARE here. Its not comparable to Christmas of course but compared to when we were here the first week of May, the capacity has increased markedly. There is no social distancing and guests are packed into queues and pre-shows, "filling in all available space". I went to Epcot today at Noon and left after an hour as it was difficult to navigate around World Showcase. The queues for the F&WF weren't terrible, however.

I'm so confused by the conflicting descriptions of the crowds. The wait times have been quite low over the past couple weeks, based on watching the app and Touring Plans. Is it that there are a bunch of people milling around but not getting in line for attractions? I know there was a lot of that on Friday in MK. Sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm honestly confused. I have plans to go next week and have been encouraged by the relatively low wait times, but is there something I'm missing?

I'm so confused by the conflicting descriptions of the crowds. The wait times have been quite low over the past couple weeks, based on watching the app and Touring Plans. Is it that there are a bunch of people milling around but not getting in line for attractions? I know there was a lot of that on Friday in MK. Sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm honestly confused. I have plans to go next week and have been encouraged by the relatively low wait times, but is there something I'm missing?
Crowds are very subjective. What is crowded to one person is not crowded to another. It's very difficult to gear how you would feel in a situation based on someone else's interpretation.

For myself if I was going right now I'd ask myself if I was ready to be around a lot of people, in close quarters and not able to avoid the situation. Knowing how I would feel in that situation would help me decide if now is the right time for me to go or not. Reality is that at Disney there most definitely will be times when crowds cannot be avoided. I ask myself, 'am I okay with that?' and go from there.

We live in an area where social distancing as still a part of everyday life. 2 weeks ago we went to a birthday party for my nephew at a trampoline place. I needed to consciously remind myself to take deep breaths as I was overwhelmed by the number of people there. In reality and compared to many places, there really weren't a lot of people there, I am just not used to being around very many people. What seemed crowded to me would be laughable to many.

I was there last week…crowds were low. Most attractions were walk on. The hub and Main Street were easy to navigate.

some areas within the parks still have there bottle necks…and do give the appearance of being crowded (I.e. fantasy land, alladin magic carpets, Norway, etc).

I think you will be pleasantly surprised

We've been here since October 2nd and in my opinion and experience the crowds ARE here. Its not comparable to Christmas of course but compared to when we were here the first week of May, the capacity has increased markedly. There is no social distancing and guests are packed into queues and pre-shows, "filling in all available space". I went to Epcot today at Noon and left after an hour as it was difficult to navigate around World Showcase. The queues for the F&WF weren't terrible, however.

You can’t compare visits from the height of a pandemic (when Disney was a ghost town) to now…it’s apples and oranges.

I’m comparing my recent trip to prior pre-covid trips. Crowds are low in comparison.

I wouldn’t over think it. Ultimately, if you are comfortable being in a crowded space then the the only thing that will matter are the wait times and adr reservation availability. Thus, going by wait times (which is the same as going by touring plans “crowd calculator” since it is based on wait times) suggest that those of us going in October look to have pretty low waits, but should assume it will be physically crowded most of the time. After all, if at any given moment there are 100 people in line or 50 people in line, you will still have 10 people crowded in front and 10 crowded behind, so won’t really change much for user experience other than overall wait times.

Its definitely been a warm week. But not unexpected for this time of year here.

Agreed. We have been there many Octobers past and have noticed it finally starts to feel like fall (in Florida terms) in mid October, but definitely not early October.

Crowds are very subjective. What is crowded to one person is not crowded to another. It's very difficult to gear how you would feel in a situation based on someone else's interpretation.

For myself if I was going right now I'd ask myself if I was ready to be around a lot of people, in close quarters and not able to avoid the situation. Knowing how I would feel in that situation would help me decide if now is the right time for me to go or not. Reality is that at Disney there most definitely will be times when crowds cannot be avoided. I ask myself, 'am I okay with that?' and go from there.

We live in an area where social distancing as still a part of everyday life. 2 weeks ago we went to a birthday party for my nephew at a trampoline place. I needed to consciously remind myself to take deep breaths as I was overwhelmed by the number of people there. In reality and compared to many places, there really weren't a lot of people there, I am just not used to being around very many people. What seemed crowded to me would be laughable to many.

This is a good point and I want to clarify that my post about low crowds has nothing to do with social distancing concerns. If you have any concerns about safety and social distancing, you are probably better off staying home. We honestly threw a bit of caution to the wind going ahead with this trip, because a lack of social distancing is unavoidable at WDW right now if you plan on going on any attraction with a pre-show. Haunted Mansion is a bit frightening in the stretching room, where they packed us in. And I’m not talking about the ghost host frightening us prematurely. Just be aware, and manage what you are comfortable with.

There are conflicting reports because people can have conflicting experiences depending on where they are and when. If you just happen to pick the most crowded park on a given day, you are going to experience heavier crowds than someone at another park might report. Even within the same park on the same day people can have different experiences based on time and location within that park. If you are at MK at rope drop and you head to the Hall of Presidents while a lot of people go to SDMT, you would probably report that the park felt less crowded than someone who went to SDMT.

We have especially found this to be true at MK during the fireworks. If you watch the fireworks from behind the castle you will feel like the park is much more empty than those gathered in the hub and on Main Street U.S.A.

I was at Hollywood Studios on Monday and Epcot yesterday. Crowds increased compared to the last few weeks. Last week I was at the Magic Kingdom and rides like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad were walk ons or close to walk ons. I agree that everyone's idea of crowded is different. Someone leaving Magic Kingdom that same day told us as we were parking they thought it was very crowded.

Tower of Terror had an 80 minute for a lot of the day on Monday because they were running at half capacity. The good thing at Epcot yesterday was that it was very crowded walking around, the lines for the rides were very short except Frozen. Soarin was 10 minutes and Test Track was 20 minutes late in the afternoon.

Many thanks for the helpful and thoughtful responses on my crowds inquiry. Much appreciated

I was there last week…crowds were low. Most attractions were walk on. The hub and Main Street were easy to navigate.

some areas within the parks still have there bottle necks…and do give the appearance of being crowded (I.e. fantasy land, alladin magic carpets, Norway, etc).

I think you will be pleasantly surprised
You can’t compare visits from the height of a pandemic (when Disney was a ghost town) to now…it’s apples and oranges.

I’m comparing my recent trip to prior pre-covid trips. Crowds are low in comparison.

Thanks! Makes sense to compare to pre-covid. :)

Going in two weeks, hope the crowds stay like this!

I just got back, was there 9/26-10/6. Crowds did not seem bad except yesterday at DHS. Boo Bash Tuesday night was definitely not limited attendance.

Also there is a shortage of staff so some places are not taking as many reservations.
I was able to make a couple of reservations yesterday when more availability appeared. Not what we wanted, but it will do and be nice to have a seat to eat. The Restaurant in Epcot looks over the fireworks area. Another for Hollywood Studios was a late lunch (3:40), early dinner which will work great with little ones. A nice break in the day and then we can go back out to walk around or ride until closing.

Two more questions:

Is Boo Bash in Magic Kingdom every night, or just on Tuesday nights? We have reservations for Magic Kingdom on Tuesday. Not planning on Boo Bash, but wondering if the parks are crowded during the day time hours because of Boo Bash...if it is just on Tuesday nights.

We plan to wear a mask, like required, but not going to wear one when walking through the parks. Are mask required in lines that are outside the attraction or only when inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter