When to go... opinions

ash901

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of the last week in May vs the week of labor day vs the week before Thanksgiving. Going in May would eliminate pulling the kids from school, but we have a birth scheduled in the family close to that date. Whens your favorite time? Kids are DS 7 DD 4. Staying on property. We have been once only to Magic Kingdom and a Disney Cruise.
TIA

Having been all of those times, I would say that the week before Thanksgiving would be my first choice. The weather will be cooler - not hot and humid as will probably be in May and definitely will be in Aug/Sept. The crowds are also pretty low that time of year. Plus, you will be able to see the Christmas decorations which are really beautiful. Good luck!

We are thinking of the last week in May vs the week of labor day vs the week before Thanksgiving. Going in May would eliminate pulling the kids from school, but we have a birth scheduled in the family close to that date. Whens your favorite time? Kids are DS 7 DD 4. Staying on property. We have been once only to Magic Kingdom and a Disney Cruise.
TIA

1. Week before Thanksgiving

2. Labor Day

3. May

Basically the weather and crowds should make the Thanksgiving time easier. Labor Day and May are pretty similar in both respects. I would probably lean towards May so you don't need to pull the kids from school. We would have to pull them for either time. I like the fall better so would go with Labor Day, school not a factor.

We went last May and never again! It was way too hot....April too. We found ourselves rushing through the parks to get back to the resort to go in the pool. I would definitely go in the cooler months. :)

The week before Thanksgiving as in November 13-20? If those are the dates I would say yes to that, I would not want to be in Disney after the 20th because every crowd calander I have seen has the weekend before/days leading up to Thanksgiving as heavy crowds.
My second choice would be labor day weekend. Low crowds but HOT weather.
May would be my third choice, moderate crowds and almost as hot as September.

If you are thinking after November 20th that would put that week as my third choice, Labor day as first choice.

My opinion I would go in November. Taking kids out of school the first couple of weeks into the school year may cause problems.

If you can go before Thanksgiving. It is not as crowed as it will be the week of Thanksgiving. Labor day is always crazy and the end of May with a holiday as well as it is when all of the schools do Friday Field Trip day.

For the most part we have been to Walt Disney over July 4th than any other time! It is hot and crowded but apparently we don't mind! LOL! We keep going back! LOL! So my comments are based against this week.

We went to Universal last September (2013)for labor Day weekend and to Disney the following week.

I am a summer person, I live in the south, I grew up with no air conditioner in the house or car. But At Universal the heat, humidity was bad. I thought it was worse than over July 4th. I tried to stand in my husbands shade while in line! LOL! It was Hot! Seems like Universal just didn't have anywhere to be out of the heat.

When we arrived at Disney we handled the heat better for whatever reason. I don't know if the weather was better or it is because Disney had better places to be out of the heat. The crowd level for that following week after labor Day was great! Kids were back in school I guess. Disney was decorated in Halloween decorations and the Halloween Party started that week at MK. They started it early last yr apparently. Theme park hrs change in the fall closing parks sooner. It was good weather for the pool or water parks. No Jackets of course were ever needed. LOL!

We went a couple of yrs ago about the 3rd week in October. The crowd level was better of course than in July but September may have still been lower. Really not sure.

It was cooler weather and I needed a mixture of clothes, Anything from a Jacket or sweatshirt in the morning & evenings to short sleeve shirts & shorts by afternoon. I enjoyed the afternoons but didn't the cool mornings. But I am a person that would rather be hot any day of the week than cold, except that one day at Universal! LOL! I like to breathe! LOL! I don't know if this is the usual weather for Florida but I do not remember it raining one day that week in Oct!

But the pool was very cold! LOL! Other families with children were complaining to the life guards about the pool and that it was supposed to be heated. The lifeguard said it was cold but Disney did not turn on the heaters until November.

I have never been to Disney in May or November. But I think I could go any month and have a good time at Disney! I would love to go one time and see the Christmas decorations even if I did have to wear a coat and was cold! LOL! Hope you have a magical week whenever you go! pixiedust:

It would be the week before thanksgiving or leaving the Wednesday the week before thanksgiving and staying until the Tuesday of thanksgiving week. Thanks

The Food and Wine Festival ends the weekend leading into the week before Thanksgiving this year. Anyone think that will be a factor?

The crowd calender I looked at showed heavy crowds starting the weekend before Thanksgiving through the Sunday after (Nov 21-29), which I would tend to believe. Between the holiday and some schools do the longer break around this time (I know my kids only ever go two days the week of Thanksgiving).

We always enjoyed October. The crowds are ususally low and the parks are all decked out for Halloween! We now have a middle and high school child. Taking them out for vacation is no longer an option. We are now left with Spring Break and Summer Break. Enjoy while you can.:):):)

Does anyone know what it would be like in Feb or even March time please?

Early February has low crowds. The weather is very unpredictable. When we went we had days in the 80s and days with highs in the 60s (highs, so it was chilly), days with no rain, two days with an afternoon shower and two days with rain all day. Ultimately it is likely when we will go back because that is what works best for my husband's work schedule. We found the weather great for the parks, we never felt overly hot and for the most part were comfortable. There were days swimming was an option and days it absolutely was not.
I do believe that mid-February can get busier, as well as the end of February but I haven't looked at a crowd calender for February in a while, I just know our time frame is February 1-9 or so.

We are currently flying home from our 6 day trip. We have been to WDW 4 times in the last 6years. Decx2,jan and Feb. For us Jan and Feb are winners in our book. My kids are 7&10 so I have had the luxury of them missing school without any problems. I will say that our last trip 2yrs ago in Jan was much less crowded and we walked onto every ride and rode many times in a row. This trip totally different. The crowds were crazy and wait lines for most rides were at least 60min or more wait time. We planned 2 days at MK and did 1 day at epcot and 1 day at our resort. The weather is cool in the 60-70's. The pools are heated at 80degrees. For us we can not tolerate the heat in the summers so we will never go at that time. I am hoping to squeeze out 1 more trip a year from now as oldest DD will still be in 6th grade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter