• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to go for adult-only trip? Nov, Jan/Feb, or Sept?

mamamelody2

DIS Veteran
I am trying to plan a WDW trip for DH and I. Just the two of us. We have not been on a trip alone for years and it's time. We were thinking a cruise, but after our 13-member WDW trip of last Sept, I want to do Disney again! It would be a completely different trip just the 2 of us, since I was completely in charge of plans/ADRs/FP+ for the September trip. I have only been to WDW twice since 2nd grade (I'm 45 now). September of 2010 and 2016. I am looking at a budget trip, staying onsite in a value resort.

SO, trying to come up with a time to go. December is not an option due to my job, so here's my thoughts on good times to go (I would LOVE to hear what others think):

1. Early or mid-November 2017. Weather more mild than September (great scott, it was SO hot) but still warm. Some of the Christmas decorations will be up. Crowds should be tolerable, though more than September. MAYBE, depending on the dates this year, we could get free dining. Hopefully Avatar land is open.

2. Late January/early-mid February 2018. Crowds should be decent. Weather more iffy, could be cold. No holiday decorations of any kind. Could possibly get a stay, play, and dine package to help with food costs. Avatar land certainly should be open by then.

3. Early September 2018. September 2017 is our daughter's last cross country season, so we can't go then. Both of our trips so far have been September, so a different time of year would be nice, but I'd still be perfectly happy to go in September again. HOT, though. Crowds probably lowest of the three options. Best chance at free dining.

What do you think??

Is late November/ early December an option? I think that is the perfect adult only trip time. Weather is great, Christmas decorations are up, and kids are still in school so crowds are lower.

If not then of your options I'd go September for one reason, Food & Wine.

I would do November. Weather will be milder, Avatarland should be open and most Christmas decorations should be up.

Edited to add: Food and Wine will be happening until Nov. 13 in 2017 as well, so you can go to that!

We've done adults-only trips multiple times of the year. January/February (avoiding MLK, marathon and Presidents Day) is great for crowds. Like you mentioned, weather can be iffy. But we live in the Midwest, so it's always better weather than home at that point in the year.

Early/mid-November is also great for Food and Wine, and exploring either of the MK parties.

Either of those times would be my pick.

Whenever you decide to go, it will be a totally different experience than going with a big group. Enjoy!

First keep in mind pandora should be opened so nobody really knows what other parks will be doing or what crowds will be like for all your dates..

1. Food and Wine is going on along with most of the christmas/holidays. both have interesting things you can tour around and enjoy without kids.
2. not sure what to expect but 2017 the art weekends sound like a great adult only thing at epcot. not adult oriented but I thikn adults will like that more than kids. It will be colder and that might mean bundled up trying to go around the parks.
3. I recommend changing up if you always go the same time of year. It was a great change when I did it back in 2014 and best thing I ever did.

Is late November/ early December an option? I think that is the perfect adult only trip time. Weather is great, Christmas decorations are up, and kids are still in school so crowds are lower.

If not then of your options I'd go September for one reason, Food & Wine.

Our busiest time at work is the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. No time off requests honored, so that won't work. As to September, people do rave about Food & Wine, but we actually didn't get to do it AT ALL last trip as the kids weren't interested in the world showcase and just wanted to go back to future world and ride more rides. A few of us adults went "around the world" but we only had maybe 2 hours and we had just had lunch at LeCellier so not hungry.

Sounds like November may be best. The only thing is that w/ Sept we'd probably have free dining, and w/ Jan/Feb we'd probably get discounted dining. November, we'd probably be full OOP (we would not buy the DDP or QSDDP). We don't have unlimited funds for this trip.

Dh and I are looking into going early November we probably will pay oop for food. Not sure where we are staying.

After doing more research, we're leaning towards mid-November. We live in Michigan, so Jan/Feb could easily result in weather delays/issues with flights. Really want to avoid that. Also leaning toward POP.

I go every January for my birthday. Some years it is on my actual birthday. Some years it is the week before. I leave in a two weeks. YES!

The first and second weeks of Dec are two of the three busiest weeks of the year for DVC stays. Therefor the time of year can still have crowds just not as many kids but more adults.
Checkout the DVC board for a rental of a DVC stay, you get a larger villa room than a value resort room at a low price point. You can book DVC stays up to 11 months before check-in so bookings for DVC stays in the first part of Dec have already started.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter