• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When is the best age for Disney?

labobuk

Earning My Ears
I have still have a couple of years to go before I will be taking the family to Disney but my husband and I have been discussing what would be the best age to take the kids. I currently have a 4 month old and a soon to be 2 year old. Both are boys. When we go to Disney I want them to be old enough to enjoy the rides yet young enough to still get excited about seeing the characters. For those of you who are Disney veterans can you tell me what you consider to be the best age for taking kids?

Lora

Mine were 7 1/2 and 5. In my opinion, these were the perfect ages. My daughter, the five year old, who is not at all tall, was tall enough for all the rides she cared to do, inclucing Test Track, Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain. My son was young enough old enough (7 1/2), to be enthused about meeting the characters, but old enough to do things like Rock and Roll Roller Coaster, which is his absolute favorite. I will go again when they are 9 1/2 and 7 and hopefully the oldest will still be young enough to enjoy the magic!!

we took our dd at 3 1/2 on her first trip. She was perhaps a little young in that she was still quite nervous of meeting characters, and some of the rides, but we had such a wonderful vacation that I don't regret taking her at all. We went to Disneyland paris for her 4th birthday and she was like a Disney veteran, knew exactly what to do, and wasn't nervous of anyone or anything, so I think that first trip really gave her confidence. If I was only going to take her once, then I think 5, 6 or 7 would be perfect, but since she will be going many times, then as soon as you are ready to go!

My new baby will be 4 months when we go in December - if I was going to wait until it was 5, then my eldest would be 11, and that's too late for her!

bev

I've experienced ages 1, 2 1/2 twice, 3, 4, 5, 6.

It's a tough call but I believe the best age for us was between 2 1/2 and 3 because everything was magical to them and they enjoyed the rides they could go on very much! They loved the characters. They behaved in restaurants. And they just went with the flow.

As they got older they complained a bit more about how tired or bored they were.:rolleyes:

I would say when your youngest is 3-4. We started taking our kids to Disneyland once they each turned 3. I have all boys, and they were all tall enough to ride even Space, Splash and Big Thunder Mountain. Of course not all three year olds are ready to ride the "big" rides, but I think at 3-4 years they can enjoy most of them as well as the characters and parades. Also by this time they're potty trained and don't need to nap as often. :D

Its really nice if your kids are old enough to plow through the day without naps. Its also nice if they are young enough that you don't need to go over school holidays (or school is easy to pull them out of).

Disney does NOT tend to appeal to teenagers and pre-teens. Not nearly enough thrill rides. So I'd think the "magic" age would be maybe five to eight? Depending on the kid.

I always thought we'd wait till our kids were at least 5 or 6. But this summer the deals were too good to pass up so we went with our 3.5 year old son and 1.5 year old son, and it was absolutely magical! The 3yo, who is normally pretty tentative, went on nearly every ride that he was tall enough for (including Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain, twice each)! He loved almost everything and only got cranky when he got really hot and tired, at which point he'd rest in the double stroller and we'd head back to the hotel for a little break. He is really into Mickey Mouse and it was SO heartwarming to see the pure joy on his face when he met Mickey!
The 1yo did really well, too; he went on nearly every ride except the height-restricted ones and enjoyed it all. He normally doesn't like long stroller rides but there was so much to look at at Disney that he was content in the stroller much longer than I'd expected. He napped well in the stroller, too.

We baby-swapped on some of the bigger rides (Dinosaur, Mission: Space) and took turns going to shows that we didn't think the kids would sit through (Who Wants to be a Millionaire, etc.) but we didn't feel like having the little ones with us made us miss out on much.

I say that if the opportunity arises and you're willing to do WDW at a little kid's pace, go as soon as you want to! We are so happy we went now, and I'm already looking forward to our next trip, hopefully in a couple of years!

When DD was 4, she was overwhelmed, which pretty much meant she didn't "get" alot of it and she really pooped out easily.

We brought her back at age 7 and she had a ball. Perfect age. Enjoyed meeting characters, could get on all the rides, had more endurance. It was our most magical trip.

Whatever you decide - I say, ANY age is the right age for WDW.:D

We took our boys at ages 3 and 2, then again at 4 and 3, then again at 5 and 4 (and dd at 8 mos), then AGAIN at ages 7,6, and 2. Personally, it depends on your child, but ALSO on how you intend to run your vacation. WDW with a toddler can be WONDERFUL (if you take it at a toddler's pace, at their speed and level) or quite possibly miserable (if you don't). Waiting til they are "big enough" doesn't even mean they will want to ride, either (our oldest ds simply doesn't care for thrill rides). And our kids were ok with the concept that "no, not quite big enough to ride that yet" because there was soooo much other stuff they COULD do. My now 3 yr old talks incessantly about the day she and I alone did our "girly-girl" tour of mk together, complete with princess breakfast, etc. She was barely 2 at the time. My middle son still recalls the first time he rode Buzz LIghtyear -- again age 2. So young kids really do take away lasting memories! My kids had assorted issues at these ages, but we just worked around them to their comfort level (oldest ds did NOT like Eeyore... we simply informed Eeyore at the Pooh breakfast that he was not welcome :(.... he waved sadly from a distance! ) One pitfall with a 7 to even 10 yr old -- they don't fit in a stroller, but their legs still get very very tired. You have to figure that their short legs still take twice the steps yours do! It was actually easier at ages 4 and 3 in many respects -- strollers and naps can be a good thing! :)

And let's also not forget that the 2 yr old is FREE... but Mr. 10 yr Old is an adult ticket (yowch). 2 yr old also doesn't eat as much, and a tiny cooler with some juice boxes and raisins can be a big help... whereas the older child will obviously need (and want) more (like, every ice cream stand, every goodie, every toy kiosk item...you get the idea!)

At toddler ages 0 to 3: it's the awesomeness of it all -- the sheer sight of it all. Take it slow and enjoy it through their eyes! Early nights, perhaps a mid-day nap. A leisurely pace. May or may not freak out with character interaction -- test it out and then use best judgement on whether to get closer or stay at a distance!

At young ages of 4 to 6: Starting to appreciate the rides, deciding what they want to do; typically loves the character interaction, longer park visits are do-able (no naps, potty trained, but still fits in WDW humongo strollers :) to allow faster movement around park with less fatigue syndrome) Pretty much believes Mickey MOuse is really a great big mouse.

At 7 to 11: Looking for thrills, possibly, on bigger rides -- can pretty much ride anything they choose. No stroller (you will now need a backpack if you carry fans, water bottles, etc... no where else to stash it!) Mickey Mouse is some dude in a rat suit, but still fun to hang out with. Still wants character interaction. Parents are not yet considered dorks. Better attention spans for shows and interaction-type venues; more appreciation for the "learning" venues (like Epcot, fave park of 8 yr old ds and me).

Beyond age 11: Iffy. May love it... but some "worldly" teens scoff at the "childish" atmosphere. Out of 6 teen nieces/nephews, it was 50/50 -- they loved it or thought it was all so very "beneath" them.

It's so different ( and wonderful ) at every age -- my only advice is PRE-teenager!!

Cindy

Cindy

We just took our 3 yo and 1 yo. The 3 yo did love it, even though he was too small to go on some rides, but he didn't care and he wasn't really afraid of anything. My older nieces seemed to be more afraid to go on things and complained more. The 3 yo is still at the age where he thinks everything is real and gets the MAGIC out of Disney.

The 1 yo just went with the flow, no real problems but he would have been just as happy taking a walk around the block. The one drawback with real little ones is having to pack up all their stuff everyday in the diaper bag. It was nice having the double stroller though to keep everything in.

I was actually glad we had to go back to our hotel to take a nap. We didn't do that two years ago, and this time we got to enjoy our pool more and it was easier for ME to stay up later at night.

I'm not sure there is a bad time to go. My daughter is 3 and has been there 5 times and my son is 1 and he's been twice. We will be making another trip in oct.
My daughter talks about Disney everyday and my son points and laughs at every character he sees. Go and have fun.

Disney does NOT tend to appeal to teenagers and pre-teens. Not nearly enough thrill rides. So I'd think the "magic" age would be maybe five to eight? Depending on the kid.

I disagree. I am a music teacher and I am taking my 8th graders (13 and 14 years old) this coming February. We are going to be performing in WDW, participating in a Disney Show Choir workshop AND playing in the theme parks. My students are SO excited! Some of them have never been to WDW and this will be their first experience. They are amazed and thrilled and excited! I can't wait to share the magic with them!

We are also taking our one year old son in 3 weeks. Now we know he won't remember this trip, BUT we will remember it and share it with him and hopefully infect him with the same Disney obsession we have! ;)

So as far as the "perfect" age, I don't think there is one. Just go with an open mind and KNOW your kids' likes and dislikes and don't force them to do something you know they won't like. JMHO!

We took our 2 year old DD and our 10mo DD to WDW in May 2003. They both had a great time. My 2 year old watched the WDW Planning Video everyday for two months before our trip. That seemed to help because she could readily identify the rides and such. However, she did not want to meet any characters. She was very happy watching from a distance.;) She did stand briefly with Buzz for a picture though. He is her favorite!:D

My 10mo DD really enjoyed WDW too. She loved all the activity and she enjoyed the rides that we went on. Her favorite was it's a small world. So much to see...

IMHO, it's not the age that matters. It's the chance to spend time with your family, doing something that you all enjoy. I guess it's part of the WDW magic!:D

Originally posted by TigerLilly's Mom
Mine were 7 1/2 and 5. In my opinion, these were the perfect ages.

My grandkids were 7 and 5½ when I took them to Disney last summer ... a GREAT age. They were old enough to go-go all day, young enough to enjoy the magic.

That said, I took my kids when they were 2½ and 6 months, then again at 4½ and 2½ (we were in FL for a family event) ... then we had a family Disney trip (dad, sisters, BILs, grandkids) when my son was 19 ... he had a blast. DD went on a school trip at 17-18 and had a wonderful time.

In my family Disney appeals to all ages!

I'm going to chime in with my thoughts... I have a mom who always wanted to be there for the "firsts" of my girls, so she decided to take us all to MK for the day back when they were 15 mos and 3. It was hot, crowded, and we rode about five rides. Yes, the 3-y-o looked cute in her mouse ears standing in line for Dumbo, but that was about it except for the fact that she was devastabed because the castle was dressed up like a cake!!! We had warned her, but it was a big disapointment.

Now, I had us booked for our first real trip when they were 4 and 6. Had to cancel, and we just now got to take our dream vacation and they are 7 and 9. I said a silent "thank you" many times each and every day that we never got to take that earlier trip. They were entranced the entire time from breakfast at CRT to flying around Test Track and riding up front in the monorail. They used their own legs for 10hours a day for five days and never complained. Really. The heat got us a little by our last day, but we had a ball and I really feel GREAT about our trip.

That said, I must clarify that we can't afford to do Disney whenever we feel like it...this was a REALLY BIG DEAL for us, and I believe waiting until the girls could take it in fully was the smart thing to do. If we had lots of money available for trips, etc, then yes, I probably could have enjoyed a more laid back trip with younger children. Everyone has to make their own choices. My vote is for waiting until the youngest is around 5-6 at least if possible! Can't wait to do it again...

We took our 3 when they were 5, 3, and 18 months. They all really had a great time. There were some rides they couldn't ride, but we switched off so both grown ups were able to ride whatever we wanted. And the little one was still small enough that a trip through Peter Pan, while thoroughly entertaining the older two, was just long enough to put him alseep for a little nap. ;)

One trick at this age is patience - little ones often want things NOW. They don't understand (as easily) the concept of having to wait in lines for rides. But I found our attitude was key - if we were very casual about the wait, they were calm and fine. But if we got the least bit grumpy, they started to whine. So we just put on our happy face, no matter how darn hot we were.:sunny:

Good luck!

My DD's first trip she was a few months from turning 3. I had SOOO many people try to discourage me - saying she was too young. She had a blast! I can still remember her walking ahead of us in her pink dress saying - "Come on, come on". We went to the parks in the morning and evening - napped in the afternoon. Which is great if you are staying at a WDW resort - just hop on the bus.

Her second trip she was 5. I swear she rode more things when she was 2. She was too scared to ride a lot of the rides. We decided then that the next time we went would be when she was 10 - and that's what we are doing. Also, because she is an only child - we are taking a friend. Hoping some innocent peer pressure will help.

A great big thank you for all of your great responses. I must admit that I am dying to go back to the Disney since I haven't been there since 99. I went every year from 95 through 99! If money were no object I would urge my husband to take the family now. However, I have to be realistic and plan to take the boys when they can appreciate the experience a little better. I think that we will probably wait till my youngest is 5. As much as I would like to go now I will keep dreaming about our future vacation in Disney by following this great board!

Lora

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter