When did you learn swimming?

Around the same time, as you maybe 8 or, 9. I learned at the local pool in the summer and then at the “Y” where I took many lessons. I think I got as far as Flying Fish. I never made it to shark!

I learned to do the basic dog paddle when I was young say 9 or 10. I didn't really learn to swim until I was 18 and could go to the pool. This was the problem with growing up with parents who were afraid of the water. Both of my kids learned to swim early.

I never really did. I could get around a bit just by self learning in our pond but if I had to go any real distance I'd be in trouble.

Took a class in college.
Don’t look askance.
Back in the “daze” many women of color went to beaches to sit in the sand and water walk; nothing more. Amazing how times have changed for the good. DGD loves water sports.

I was young - like 3 or 4 - & my mom took swim lessons at the same time because she'd never had them as a child.

I was 3 or 4. My kids were all able to swim by the time they were 3. My youngest was proficient by 2. Helps that we have an inground pool so I was insistent that they be able to swim independently as soon as possible.

Three, but took lessons longer (we had in inground pool). My kids started at 3, year round lessons until they knew their strokes, at 4 they were able to swim 50 meters pretty well (we lived 1/2 miles from my parents with that same inbound pool). Swimming lessons were non negotiable.

I really can't remember. We had a pool growing up and I was pretty much always in it. I do remember before I could go into the deep end, but I had this floatie I would use - two benguins with a seat between them but I would hang on to the seat. I did once slip off and this was before I could swim, so my grandmotehr jumped into the pool to save me. I don't know exactly how old I wass, but I'd guess about five since I can actually remember that. Afterwards, I can only remember swimming like a fish and jumping off the diving board.

I'm guessing I was between 11-12 years old. My grandparents installed an above ground pool and I first learned the freestyle technique.

My Mother's brother had drowned when they were children, so my parents were of the "You can't go in the water until you've learned how to swim. Yeah, that doesn't work. So I'm probably the only grandma whose grandchildren can swim, but I can't.

I was @2 or 3 - learned to swim off the Long Island Sound in Connecticut

We had a pool growing up. Just about everyone on my block had a pool and that meant lots of swimming. Been swimming as long as I can remember. No lessons for anyone of us. Just playing in the pool and self taught.

I have nearly drowned three times, once in a a pool and twice in the ocean. I stay clear of the water. I did make sure that my children learned to swim, including being able to aid someone who sinks to the bottom of a pool.

I do not remember learning to swim, we grew up going to the lake every summer for several weeks, walked to the community pool almost daily until my parents had an in ground pool built.

I absolutely love the water! My older brother almost drowned me once "dunking" me for "fun", one of my uncles made him stop and I spent a bit of timing breathing on the beach after that episode. :sad2:

I don't remember when but I do remember taking swim lessons at the local YMCA on Saturdays. I was picked up on a bus and driven 20-25 minutes away for lessons. Then they'd bring us home as well.

The town I grew up in had a municipal pool and offered swimming lessons in the summer. I believe it was after you were in school. When my children were young, it started much earlier. The Y had classes for kind of just getting used to being in water, where you kind of just dropped them and let them float/fight there way up. I always wondered if we were being cruel to them! Not quite true swimming lessons at that age though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter