• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

What's your least favorite popular restaurant?

Ohana (dinner). I know everyone loves it. We didn't HATE it, but it certainly wasn't worth the hype. Glad we did it once, but won't go back.

Haters gonna hate, and I hate a lot of popular places on the Dis. By way of explanation - I have high standards for food, don't much care about prices (I don't find WDW shockingly high at all, and V&A is a bit cheaper than our local place that's a similar experience/culinary offering), I rarely travel with small children and when I have they have NOT been interested in characters but would do the character dining if such occurred, especially the ones that are family style (which I'm also not really into, but I'd deal), and I hate noisy dining environments or anything that is buffet/reminds me of a chain restaurants. I hate chain restaurants - to the point that if I've talking to someone online and they suggest one for a first date, they're out. Who the $%# wants to do that for a first date? So, pretty much I throw rocks at children:) And hate on a lot of American dining - I'm looking at you ranch dressing. Don't hold it against me, people obviously LOVE Olive Garden and the like, but its just not for me...

So, buffets, antics, dinner shows, anything which involve children racing through the restaurant, things that are prevalent locally - Blaze pizza, Wolfgang Puck. I eat late and late lunches and dinners offer me the ability to enjoy the cool of the restaurant and a break from the noise of the parks. I also really like eating lunch by the pool. I think I may have a sensitivity to noise/chaos. It really bugs me. I time my mid day breaks around when I get too "peopled" out.

Exception to the rule: I have fond memories of drinking tequila at the AK Rainforest Cafe and eating nachos there. Many times. IDK why, but it being in AK and never having to wait for a bar spot and their huge pours gives it a pass for me. I'm weird and apparently a hypocrite, I've never been to the local one or the one at DS, but the one in AK is ok by me.

And, I'm glad WDW has offerings for all, that's something that makes it kinda magical and special in my estimation:) Now if ya'll'd all stop hogging up the Chef Tables reservations for FF and V&A, I'd be awfully happy. I can never plan far enough in advance to snag one.

Le Cellier- sizzler on an off day
CRT- so sub par in every way words escape me.
The Boathouse- overpriced under good. If it were half the price I'd say it was mediocre.
Rainforest Cafe- just not good at all.
Chef Mickeys- food is eh, loud unorganized chaos.

Artist Point and Via Napoli. Don't get all the hubbub. Oh yeah, and Rose and Crown. All three I will go back to but they don't 'wow' me.
Marrakesh and Bongos and Tony's are my 'don't care to do again' places but those do get some unfavorable reviews or lukewarm reviews, rarely hear folks rave about them.

Artist Point and Via Napoli. Don't get all the hubbub. Oh yeah, and Rose and Crown. All three I will go back to but they don't 'wow' me.
Marrakesh and Bongos and Tony's are my 'don't care to do again' places but those do get some unfavorable reviews or lukewarm reviews, rarely hear folks rave about them.

I love the apps at Marrakesh enough and enjoy the music bellydancers enough to brave the children invited to participate. I do think their entrees look un-inspired and now that Spice Road exists, Marrakesh is less appealing. I was blown over by it as a child. We had to go EVERY trip.

Haters gonna hate, and I hate a lot of popular places on the Dis. By way of explanation - I have high standards for food, don't much care about prices (I don't find WDW shockingly high at all, and V&A is a bit cheaper than our local place that's a similar experience/culinary offering), I rarely travel with small children and when I have they have NOT been interested in characters but would do the character dining if such occurred, especially the ones that are family style (which I'm also not really into, but I'd deal), and I hate noisy dining environments or anything that is buffet/reminds me of a chain restaurants. I hate chain restaurants - to the point that if I've talking to someone online and they suggest one for a first date, they're out. Who the $%# wants to do that for a first date? So, pretty much I throw rocks at children:) And hate on a lot of American dining - I'm looking at you ranch dressing. Don't hold it against me, people obviously LOVE Olive Garden and the like, but its just not for me...

So, buffets, antics, dinner shows, anything which involve children racing through the restaurant, things that are prevalent locally - Blaze pizza, Wolfgang Puck. I eat late and late lunches and dinners offer me the ability to enjoy the cool of the restaurant and a break from the noise of the parks. I also really like eating lunch by the pool. I think I may have a sensitivity to noise/chaos. It really bugs me. I time my mid day breaks around when I get too "peopled" out.

Exception to the rule: I have fond memories of drinking tequila at the AK Rainforest Cafe and eating nachos there. Many times. IDK why, but it being in AK and never having to wait for a bar spot and their huge pours gives it a pass for me. I'm weird and apparently a hypocrite, I've never been to the local one or the one at DS, but the one in AK is ok by me.

Ha ha! You are me, just childless. I love my kids, barely tolerate anyone elses offspring. Give me a cool, quiet atmosphere with my heathens and I am good. I hate chains, as well, but I have a soft spot for ONE Chili's in our town, because of the waitress there we befriended one rough night. We walk in, she has my cocktails (2 for 1!) and our chips and salsa in front of us before we even get settled. Other than that, blech. Oh, but I love a homemade ranch dressing, too ;) And, I love me some tequila, straight up!

As for WDW restaurants we did not enjoy - La Hacienda. Touted for its view and such. It was like a Mexican-inspired cafeteria, everyone crammed together, food subpar, etc. I mean, I would probably try it again, and ask for a nice, quiet table away from the window-claimers. Um, hm. Le Chefs blew, too.

homemade ranch dressing

The kind made with greek yogurt instead of mayo (which has been my mortal enemy since birth - god, its disgusting and I eat everything, and I mean EVERYTHING else besides raw celery), but someone made ranch with greek yogurt and I was like "what is this amazing stuff."

Glad to know there are people like me out there that have children! It sounds like I could hang with your whole family!

Non-signature - Raglan Road (Fun show, but we think the food compares very poorly to similar places here)
Signature - Jiko (Great atmosphere, but most of the food was non-signature quality. The rave reviews here didn't help the lackluster food. We expected much better quality & expected it to be more out of the ordinary.)

I'd say BOG. Glad we did it for the experience and the Beast M&G (we love characters) but the food really wasn't good. Price was basically what I'd expect at Disney but I could hardly finish my meal (not because I was full). That being said, if we had Disney rookies with us we'd probably take them there for the experience but with lower expectations on the food quality.

Chef Mickey's is the only place I will never go to again (except with my baby nephew when he's older because he'll love seeing the characters and my sister will think it's a must-do). We went many years ago and got seated about an hour after our ADR, our service was bad, the food was horrible, and the kids running around drove me crazy!

The only place that I'm just not excited about is Rainforest. Actually, all of the TS restaurants in DAK just don't do anything for me, and I like to call myself a fairly adventurous eater.

We won't be doing Tusker House again. It just wasn't for us. We have only done lunch at BOG and it will stay that way. Their dinner menu just doesn't thrill any of us.

Le Cellier - got a walk in there once way back when before it was "signature" and just didn't get the hype. My steak loving kiddo remembers it as his favorite and when her goes with us next spring, I'll prolly have to go back.

Sci-Fi - DH and the DGD love it last time...we got a walk up here, too. I got the Reuben and I generally enjoy schtick and hokey and embrace all the corniness but I just was underwhelmed.

Columbia Harbor House - I have heard raves and although I loved the sandwich (Lobster Roll) I thought that for the price it and the blah chips were underwhelming. I would go back, though, for something different because it has a lot of seating upstairs and was a nice place to chill out.

Can't think of anything I wouldn't go back to. But Via Napoli and Hoop Dee Doo are overrated, IMO.

'Ohana- not bad, but just don't see it as worth the hype. We prefer Kona.

Le Cellier- I swear I won't go back after our last visit. Seated an hour after our ADR time despite multiple other parties who arrived later and had later ADRs being seated first. Weren't willing to work with me regarding my allergies. (I was told I have one option that's it). I paid $40+ OoP for basic salmon and green beans I could have gotten somewhere like Outback. Not wasting the time or money again.

I don't hate Beaches and Cream, but I don't think it is any better than average. For me, the food is just OK, the service has left something to be desired, and there are sometimes long waits even with ADRs. I can think of better options for a casual meal and ice cream within a 10 minute walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter