• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whats with the bus transfer to the water parks?

Spencer Wright

Constantly craving a zebra dome...
We just got back from a week visit and had an amazing time.

However, I was infuriated with the bus transfer to the water parks. For those not familiar, this requires one to get off the bus at either Animal Kingdom and transfer to Blizzard Beach, or get off at Disney Springs and transfer to Typhoon Lagoon.

Does anyone else find this absolutely ridiculous, or know what the rationale was behind this?

Am I alone in finding this ridiculous? We had issues with Magic Bands getting into Typhoon Lagoon, and therefore our cost for the water parks was taken off our tickets. But we did not return to the water parks as a result of this transit issue.

I didn't know the details, but I told my DS don't even think of going to the water parks by bus.

How long did it take to get there?

We went to Typhoon Lagoon once, and I will say that one bus at Disney Springs to Typhoon Lagoon was full and another came almost immediately. The same was true leaving Typhoon Lagoon. However, going back to AKL we did have to wait a good 15-20 minutes for the bus.

So to answer your question I would say probably about one hour to hour and a half each way.

It's like they don't want people to go! We have a car so haven't had to do this but if we split up I have taken the bus from Disney Springs and it's always a long wait, so if I'd already waited at the water park, I'd be a little frazzled when I finally reached my resort.

We went to Typhoon Lagoon once, and I will say that one bus at Disney Springs to Typhoon Lagoon was full and another came almost immediately. The same was true leaving Typhoon Lagoon. However, going back to AKL we did have to wait a good 15-20 minutes for the bus.

So to answer your question I would say probably about one hour to hour and a half each way.

This is way to long and unacceptable. Disney has really changed. 3 hours there and back to go to a water park on vacation is way to long. We are going in two weeks I guess we will have to look at other (expensive) transportation options

I am guessing that Disney would rather you use their Minnie Vans for transport to the water parks. Sounds like such a hassle.

I would use them or Uber.

As someone who doesn't frequent the waterparks but does rely on Disney transportation I am glad that I no longer have to withstand the detour to a waterpark when traveling to & from AK or from DS. That being said they really should be running buses directly to the waterparks from the resorts even if it is on a less frequent schedule than the theme park buses. Was not thrilled with the 20 minute detour to Blizzard Beach when trying to get to AK.

We get waterpark APs often and our trip in mid August had very long lines at the waterparks entrances--more than we can remember ever seeing. It is only $15 to add the waterparks to a hopper and I think many are doing it. The bus situation which has been that way a few years is ridiculous.
It's like Disney gives a great deal but then makes it difficult to get and makes the parks unbearably crowded.

We just upgraded our Gold AP to Platinum Plus thanks to the DVC promo that just came out. So we added half day at BB to our Oct trip plans. I thought there were direct buses than ran from the resorts to BB and TL, but it doesn't seem like that is correct from comments above?? We are staying at AKL, so does that mean all buses from it to HS or AK stop at on way BB?

We did this 2 weeks ago and it was not a problem at all. Maybe we were lucky but we transferred right away is both places. Took maybe 25 minutes total. It takes that long to get to magic kingdom from akl. I think it is actually a good system since it cuts down on traffic and unnecessary stops. We had a great day at blizzard beach.

Oh wait, I am staying at All Star Sports, which is close to Blizzard Beach. We'll have to go to Ak then to Blizzard Beach?
I'm not positive, but I think that the All Stars and Coronado Springs still have direct bus service to Blizzard Beach. I know Coronado Springs does, because I used it on August 18. It only took a couple minutes to get there. I don't know if it's because they are so close?

There has never been a good way to/from the water parks at certain times of the day (for other park guests or WP guests) The busses would serve a main park along with the water park and make 'everyone' go there and take forever to get to/from their designated parks. The traffic is horrendous (for everyone) at openings/closings. They really need a designated bus lane in and out. That has mostly been our only big upset with the busses over the years, usually we have very little complaints.

So, now the tables are turned and it's the WP guests that are being inconvenienced.

Agree with @karret2000

Oh wait, I am staying at All Star Sports, which is close to Blizzard Beach. We'll have to go to Ak then to Blizzard Beach?
Found this on the Disney Moms panel from June:

To access Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park via Disney Bus Transportation from your resort hotel, you'll first board a bus to Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park and then transfer buses at Animal Kingdom's Bus Depot to a Blizzard Beach bus - the Animal Kingdom bus does not offer continuing service to Blizzard Beach, you'll need to transfer.

However, there are a few resorts that are still offering direct transportation to Disney's Blizzard Beach; the three All-Star Resorts and Disney's Coronado Springs Resort. If you happen to be staying at any of these resort hotels, you will not need to transfer as they offer dedicated bus service to Blizzard Beach.

We always drive to water parks, always have. I don't want to have to fully change at the WP, would rather dry, cover up then shower at hotel. I don't want to get on bus and I hated being on the buses that picked up from them to have wet people get on and sit with us.

That said we always laughed that as soon as the parking lot is full (and they are small) the WP are closed to future cars ... and now they make it that more difficult with buses (which will cause more of us to drive) so therefore makes sense the water parks will not be full .... of people wanting drinks, snacks, lunch etc. I would think most folks are not paying day prices for here so they really need your spending money ... but this bus situation discourages it.

This is a bummer; I always assumed that there were direct buses from the resorts to the water parks. Good thing that we will have our own car when we go to BB next Monday!

I didn't consider going to Animal Kingdom and then to Blizzard Beach a problem at all. We were staying at POFQ.

We enjoyed watching the drive up to AK, we enjoyed seeing the resort, we enjoyed being the only family on the Waterparks bus... we didn't have time to make it to the AK Park proper, so we savored the little preview we got. And we absolutely LOVED standing atop some of the higher points of Blizzard Beach and admiring the view of AK!

It took about 20 minutes whereas hopping on a bus and going direct to a Park was about 10 minutes of enjoying someone else drive. :)

I was there last week, and I'm pretty sure I saw a bus from the resort that takes you directly there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter