What's up with smoking?

travelingmom4

Mouseketeer
Here now, keep running into smokers not smoking in designated areas. A woman just blew smoke right in front of my family, not even trying to hide it. Is this just known, that Universal doesn't enforce their smoking policy? Or are we just getting unlucky?

Reactions: shh
I saw this far more at Disney than Universal in September mainly because Disney had moved and closed some of the smoking areas and I think the smokers were a bit unhappy.

Where they smoking or vaping, it seems like a lot of people dont think they should have to go to the smoking areas for vaping.

I saw this far more at Disney than Universal in September mainly because Disney had moved and closed some of the smoking areas and I think the smokers were a bit unhappy.

Where they smoking or vaping, it seems like a lot of people dont think they should have to go to the smoking areas for vaping.

We've seen some vaping but mainly smokers

Where they smoking or vaping, it seems like a lot of people dont think they should have to go to the

As a person who vapes it is unacceptable and bad form to vape anywhere but where designated no matter where you are. I really hate the fact that idiots still continue to vape in undesignated areas. It makes it harder for the people that do vape/smoke in the appropriate place. I totally understand no one wants to inhale a foreign substance that they don't know what's in it and one that they aren't intentionally doing themselves. I smoked for 20 years and haven't for 2 but I look at vaping the same as I do smoking, be considerate and only vape in designated areas.

Oops sorry posted on accident. We've never experienced this problem at Disney.

It's everywhere,a Disney custodian actually stopped and thanked my wife and I for vaping in the smoking sections in November, they are having issues with people doing in it lines,on attractions and in the hotel rooms. They are having problems because it leaves no or very little odor so by the time that cast mates get to the area tha someone has been vaping there's no proof that it actually took place.

Here now, keep running into smokers not smoking in designated areas. A woman just blew smoke right in front of my family, not even trying to hide it. Is this just known, that Universal doesn't enforce their smoking policy? Or are we just getting unlucky?

They actually enforce harder than Disney, you're not getting unlucky people are ignorant.

We had someone start to vape a few people in front of us in line at HHN before......they were told in no uncertain terms to either stop or leave the line........he though she was kidding........she wasn't and he finally stopped.

It happens everywhere, even at Disney. Some people are rude and inconsiderate.

Haven't been to Disney in many years but we had it there too. Once during the 3pm parade, which wasn't nice.......CM told a guy who complained about it she was too busy to do anything..........

As for Universal we have encountered it a few times with people walking through the park.........if a TM sees they will stop them.

If they don't know or see they can't do anything can they?

I think they need to change signs and write on the maps that these areas are "Smoking and Vaping Areas", or something along those lines. As, well as when they state rules on a ride, or attraction that when they say, "No eating, drinking, smoking, or photography," to add vaping as well. Of course, I do not think it's going to happen, as all these recordings and videos (which state these rules) cannot be changed, but they could add them on the physical rules, signs, and/or maps perhaps.

I think the reason why this is happening is due to the fact that it's relatively a new thing and because a lot of places say "No Smoking", I think a lot of people try to be smart by saying, "Well, I'm not smoking, I'm vaping." I've noticed that a few restaurants in my areas are slowly putting up signs saying that their no smoking policy also includes not vaping and using e-cigarettes. And I think it's due to technicalities is the reasoning for them feeling the need to put up signs, so people cannot argue, "Well, it doesn't say no vaping."

I'm surprised it's this much of an issue at Universal, as the past year I've gone usually more than once a month, and have seen only one person smoke in a non-designated area so far this year with my pass. I normally see a decent amount of people using the MIB area (for one example). I think it's just bad luck on your part. I remember years ago (when it was a relatively new thing to have areas), when my mom would get caught they would say something right away. I've also more recently a couple of years ago (when I had my pass previously) noticed staff saying something to someone else a few times over different occasions. So, it's really about timing of someone seeing it and saying something.

Also, the thing about reporting seems pointless. As I remember the one person I noticed this year was doing it in passing and I didn't even notice it until the very last moment out of the corner of my eye. No way to report that and something happening. Not only that, but all I can see coming from reporting that, is just an employee simply letting the person know they cannot do that and there are designated areas for that. Which they will accept and listen, or they will argue they didn't do anything, which seems like more of a headache to me.

Last edited:
My husband & I are both smokers & there's never ANY excuse to smoke (or vape) outside of the DSA's, especially at Universal where we found them to be very plentiful & pleasant. It's folks like that that give all smokers a bad name (like we need any help with that - ha!) I'm sorry this is happening to you while you're trying to enjoy the park.

Unfortunately, it will not change. As a former smoker (hopefully a respectful one), there is a difference in mentality in the spectrum of smokers. Those lighting up in line, or on the main walkways know the rules, they just don't care. I said something to a smoker just outside of Confisco heading to Seuss land, and he wanted to fight, literally poking me in the chest and wanting to swing. CM was literally feet away, and did nothing. Really, what were they gonna do? Fight for me. Luckily, the people with him calmed him down. His excuse - "It's America, its a free country!" Can't fix stupid.

I am not a small person, and probably should've diffused the situation sooner, or said nothing at all. My wife has reminded me many times that the poor little CM girl (or boy) is just trying to get through and make people smile, they are not security. Although I tend to want my situation handled immediately, it's a no win for any CM. A gentle reminder of the rules just delays the situation until that person is out of sight of that CM. Throw them out? Might be harsh, except if they are blowing smoke at me, lol.

As for which park is worse, how about all of them. No different at Cedar Point and Kings Island, or any other park we've been at.

What is vaping? ?

its a liquid form of smoking.. non tobacco.. seems harmless but what do i know.. I think its used by ex tobacco smokers to help them get off of tobacco.. its becoming popular as i am seeing it more and more. Are they vapor smokers relegated to the SMOKING area as well?

its a liquid form of smoking.. non tobacco.. seems harmless but what do i know.. I think its used by ex tobacco smokers to help them get off of tobacco.. its becoming popular as i am seeing it more and more. Are they vapor smokers relegated to the SMOKING area as well?
Yes they are supposed to smoke in the smoke in areas and I'm pretty sure they know that - the rules are pretty much becoming the same as smoking.
Although the purpose was to help ex-smokers I think it has become popular in it's own rights with people who never smoked.
It is now trendy.
Like most things the people who use it say it's harmless, and it may be, but I know I dont want to breath it.
Then there are the handful of times these things exploded because of cheap batteries, manufacturing defects and stupidity.
There is a thread on one of these accidents a month or two ago - probably because of a cheap battery - and to be fair it was just in the guys pocket, he was not using it as far as I know

Anyway, some people are just going to do whatever they want regardless and I've seen far worse things in Disney and Universal than vaping outside the smoking area.
We should have a thread on that topic...would be interesting.

E-cigarettes / Vaping have the reputation as being completely safe, but it still contains nicotine, which due to that fact alone, it being completely safe is technically false. How much safer is it? I'm not an expert, or doctor, so I wouldn't know. It does, however doesn't contain certain notorious chemicals that are in cigarettes, but it contains other chemicals which are considered unhealthy for the body. You can get poisoning as well from ingesting too much nicotine. That being said, regardless of how much "healthier", or not it is (as I do not know), e-cigarettes and vaping are still not technically a healthy thing to do.

Also, I find getting a vape cloud to the face, just as ill worthy as cigarette smoke. Regardless of the fact that people say it's odor less, it really isn't, at least from my experiences. A lot of them are flavored, which might be the reasoning of the smell. Maybe it's a pleasurable taste to them? I wouldn't know, but to me, it doesn't smell that good. Also, the vapor that comes from them is more intense than a real cigarette puff to the face.

I don't care what people do. I have a few friends that are smokers. Do what they do. However, just like cigarettes back in the day, the main reason why it's everywhere is, because it's considered "cool", like how cigarettes were considered "cool" back in the day. A lot of people do smoke tricks with them. It also doesn't help the fact that they're being advertised as being completely safe, which like cigarettes back in the day were advertised as also.

Thank you to the considerate smokers/vapers out there!!!

It's always the malcontents that will draw attention and comments. I avoid the smoking sections, but on occasion have ventured too close and quickly got away - because that's MY responsibility.

But many (countless?) times I've gotten behind or stuck next to a smoker on a path, waiting for a parade or show, near a restroom, etc. I've never - no exaggeration - seen a CM or TM say something to the smoker. I don't discount anyone else's experience, but that's mine. I've mentioned it on surveys, etc - but clearly to no effect.

All I can do is try to remove myself from the situation, be mad for a minute, calm down, and get on with my day.

Not all people, but a lot of people suck. It's the plain, unvarnished truth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!