What's Up with Disney these days???

That's not a breakdown. That's a guest with a mobility impairment transferring to the ride vehicle. If someone can't transfer with the belt slowed down, they can stop *many* of the omnimover rides for a guest to transfer
Well....good to know! :)

I'm glad I was not the only one to notice some of the same things. We were there from Jan. 25 through Feb. 2. This was our 3rd big trip and my 6th overall and I have never experienced so many ride breakdowns. It seemed like ToT was down everytime we tried to ride. I think 4 times in all. BTMRR broke down while we were sitting in the car to ride and had waited 30 min. Others broke down for us as well.

I agree that crowds seemed to be larger than I am used to for the time of year. I talked to one CM on 2/2 in MK who agreed that it seemed there were more people there than normal. However, I did notice that during the week the crowds weren't that bad and we were able to ride whatever we wanted with minimal wait.

There also seemed to be more BTGs than I am used to as well. I actually got hip checked into a turnstile by one group of girls that had linked arms and started running through the crowd to get out of MK after Wishes one night. We stayed at POFQ so we didn't have to deal with the BTGs or dance teams at the hotel. I did see one dance team staying there but they were very well behaved. Usually when we see a BTG we head the other direction. At one time I even mimicked them by holding up an empty Coke bottle like a flag so my family could follow me.

All in all, we still enjoyed our trip very much. Everything is really a matter of perspective. These really are "1st World Problems" as my nephew says. I was fortunate to be able to spend 8 days with my family in a really nice place with really nice people that went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and happy. None of what I experienced will keep me from going back.

We use to go in Sept and Oct and I think that we will start doing that again or maybe even the first week in Dec. I always have the most pleasant experiences with the British tourist. BTG's have taken over January as it is their summer break. I would not mind the rudeness so much if it wasn't for the fact that my children 6 and 1 were ran over while walking in the parks and at the Pop food court. If we were not walking fast enough in a line they would push us out of the way to pass us. I can look past the cutting but when grown men knock down a child without a second thought I am going to be upset. Don't get me wrong we made some wonderful memories on our trip and our kids were oblivious to it all and just having the best time. I will go back and I am sure that this was just one of those trips. We all have had them. It is nice to have a place to vent where there are people that totally get it.

I had an experience like that once but only once in the 100 times I have been to a Disney park. So 99% success rate ain't bad at all. Good luck on your next 99, should go better!

I was not there during the time you were, but I've seen similar posts in the past from people who were there at the same time we were, and who had a completely different experience than we did. I don't know whether to chalk it up to bad luck/timing or a different outlook??

In any case, glad to hear that you've have so many positive trips and won't let ONE be decisive when it comes to whether to ever go again. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We just returned from the world today after our trip from 2-1 thru today. I must agree OP, it was so BUSY!!!
We have gone in feb several times, usually this week or next. We have been to disney yearly for 14 years, so we aren't experts, but definitely know the in's and out's.
We stayed at Pop Century and thought i would kill someone by the end of today. Now I must say the only times i noticed the BTG's and the cheer/dance craziness was meal times, bus lines and the crowds that would head to a ride (60 people at a time) and shove you out so you couldn't get away! It was annoying to have them on all sides and not be able to hear yourself think! They were very loud! And more then once I saw others getting angry. At one point two grown adults started actually fighting in the bus line! (poor families!) The man had had enough, and the straw broke his back when the ENTIRE group in line, went under the rails in the bus line and his family missed the bus! They came running out of nowhere! It was a sight to see, and became a very good teaching moment, as we all "looked at...(insert random insect, lizard on tree, bug... anything to be distracted from the adults) !
The crowds were HORRIBLE at MK. We do that park in 1 1/2 -2 days every trip, so again, know how to utilize our FP, and such... Even with that, we barely touched the majority of rides :( Fantasyland was CRAZY! no ride times under 45 mins, even during the parade!
But I must say, even with all that, it was a fun trip!
And now I will go back to going in the fall, and pray for no large groups of any kind!

We were in Disney from 1-5 to 1-19. MK was very busy because of the new Fantasy Land attractions but the other parks were not busy at all. We did see several BTG and were pleased with how well they behaved this time. We were not pleased with the many large family groups we encountered that were very rude to other guests and to cast members. I have never before seen so many people completely ignoring the cast member instructions and we were very annoyed at the adults talking loudly during the shows and movies. None of these were speaking English and just almost screamed at each other during the parts they didn't understand. The BTG kids we encountered did speak English and were most kind when they saw me trying to push DH's wheelchair around with adults blocking the ramps and ignoring me. Several times they went up to those adults and got them to move for me.

That's too bad that you had a frustrating trip, but you said you are going back next year, so it must not have been that bad. ;)

We were there the same time you were and we were in MK on Thurs also. We didn't experience any ride breakdowns when we were there from 10am-6pm, I guess we were lucky and just missed them! But the crowds were insane. I agree with you about the BTGs. They were everywhere at AK and DHS. We didn't have any encounters with them, thank goodness. I'm sorry your trip wasn't enjoyable. I hope your next one is better! :goodvibes

WE just returned as well and it was extremely busy compared to the past 2 years. So we have decided we are going to try Sept and see what that's like. We didn't notice the BTG but maybe just managed to miss them for the most part. Ones we ran into were fine. I was disappointed in mainly 2 things this time besides the crowd level. One was lack of photopass photographers and 2 were lack of characters about compared to previous years.

I don't know if you will find September any better. We went in January 2011 and the crowds were not bad at all... some days it felt very quiet. However we went this past September 2012 and I was very disappointed in how crowded it felt.. much worse than that January 2011 trip. The walk ways were jammed pack in September and the restaurants were very crowded as well. I think Free Dining has made September just as busy as many other months.
DTD was so packed those couple evenings we spent there in September, I couldn't believe it! It was like night and day from our 2011 vacation... we had such trouble just walking around but, that January trip DTD was like a ghost town.. very dead.

I was planning a January 2014 trip because I recall how great that 2011 trip was but, now I am rethinking that. I said I would never go back in September because of the humidity and big crowds but, now I am starting to realize January isn't going to be any better... not anymore. I definitely do not want to deal with BTG's... I have heard enough to know I couldn't deal with them. Ironically in 2011 we went right at the end of the month... two years ago last week actually and I didn't see a single TG.. not sure why but, we just didn't.

Can someone tell me what tp crowd levels predicted the last few weeks? I am just curious to compare the numbers to what they are giving for my trip in May, since everyoone is saying how busy it was.

We were there the week before and didn't have any problems. The crowds were higher than expected, but it wasn't that bad and both days we were at MK they closed it an hour later. We didn't encounter any ride breakdowns and while we did see some BTGs they weren't a problem. We stayed at POR and I don't think they were staying there. Occasionally a large group would appear out of nowhere and we'd get caught up in it, but they didn't seem particularly rude.

I'm sorry you had such bad luck. I hope your next trip is better.

What are BTGs?

BTG stands for Brazilian Tour Groups. They tend to visit the parks during January and July - when they have extended breaks from school. We have been twice in very early August and have never ran into a BTG.

We're at Disney right now. Went to MK yesterday and today. Yesterday was definitively bad with it being a Monday and the MVP being there and all, but it was pretty quiet today until around 2, but even then it wasn't terrible. We saw everything we wanted to see and then things we didn't want to because we got bored waiting for our dinner reservations. The people mover seemed pretty broken today, got stuck on it for a minute and then again for like ten minutes and saw it stuck a few times before and after that.
BTGs haven't been a problem so far. Only saw one at AK Sunday. Been seeing a lot of dance groups, they had some competition the other day.
Overall, more crowded than I'm used to, but definitely not unpleasant.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I know the next time you go back your love of Disney will come back to you.

I have been hearing a lot about the BTGs lately. Does anyone know the months they tend to visit? I think we may have run into them on one of our earlier trips, maybe even our first one, so I didn't know if it was a usual thing or not. Actually, now that I think about it, most of the groups we ran into were British and French. Anyway, I just want to know what to expect when I go in April. Thanks!

Yes, they are in droves Jan. & July. We do not go those months anymore. That is basically the only big problems we have ever had at Disney. I couldn't take them anymore. :sad2:

Just returned from a Jan 27 to Feb 1st trip and was extremely disappointed. Crowds were big for the time of year, BTG's ruder than ever, rides breaking down left and right. Whats going on???? Rides that broke down during our trip...Everest, Tower of Terror, Thunder mountain, Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh. Thunder Mountain broke down after my husband and son waited for almost an hour Thursday afternoon and then Friday morning it didn't start up till after 10. It was disappointing because having Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Haunted Mansion, and Winnie the Pooh down all at the SAME time cause crowds and long lines. The new scanners were not recognizing children's tickets and therefor you could not get a fastpass with their key to the kingdom tickets. So cast members had to take your ticket write down info and give you a fastpass pass for the day. To say the least it was frustrating. Cast members seem to be tired of the BTG's and warned us many times to expect nothing but rudeness from them. Trying to get food at a buffet or in the POP food court was a nightmare. I love Disney and we god every year at this time but I was extremely disappointed. I feel disenchanted after this trip. I will be going back but I think since I do take my son out of school we will be finding a different time of year to go. I LOVE everything Disney and will not let one bad trip out of so many magical ones keep me away. Has this ever happened to anyone else????

Like others have suggested, I strongly recommend writing to WDW, particularly about this RFID ticket situation. Guest feedback is going to play a pivotal role in the progression (or digression) of FastPass+ (formerly FASTPASS) and MyMagic+. They really should know about that so they can incorporate that into one of their many solutions.

Anyways, your complaints have been very common among the Disney community recently. I can't tell you how many people I've communicated with recently who said they wouldn't return to WDW in January. I think this Jan. has been significant;y more crowded than expected due to New Fantasyland and what appears to be an increase in South American Tour Groups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter