What's the latest on HEIGHT measurement?

Barb D

DIS Veteran
What's up with height measurment at WDW? Have they started using the laser measuring things instead of the sticks? Does the height requirement include shoes? (Do they subtract a certain amount off the child's height for an assumed shoe height?)

DD is currently 39 1/4" tall without shoes. We're hoping she grows that extra 3/4" in the next two months. :)

Personally I believe they allow an allowance for shoes with the sticks. We were there in July and didn't see any lasers being used to check for height, only the wood sticks the CM's hold. My DD was 39 1/2 inches without shoes, and was only tall enough for BTM (and I think the CM felt a little sympathy for her). All other 40 inch rides she DEFINATELY was under the stick, by at least an inch!!! Somebody posted awhile ago that they think the sticks are more ike 41 1/2 inches, for allowances for sneakers and also liability issues.

My wild child ds is very short, so when he was 6 he needed almost an extra inch to be tall enough for the 43 inch requirement. We bought sandals with very thick soles that put him right at that mark, and it worked. He was able to pass the height restrictions, so I do not think they allow any extra for shoes. He measured at WDW exactly as at home.

I read that WDW was considering measuring kids once then putting an arm band on them if they passed, but I don't know if that's true.

My Dd also wears sneakers that add about an 1 inch to her height (that is just the way they are made, we didn't buy them just for Disney purposes). She is 47 1/2 inches without them, and she was able to get on all of the 48 inch rides with them. On some she was right "at" the mark, and others she was about a 1/2 inch taller... so yes, there is a discrepancy between the sticks. Also check to make sure that your child is not standing on a slope and the stick is higher than him/her... that can cause a discrepancy, as well.

As for the lasers...as of the 2nd week of August they were not in use. I think they are still testing it in California.

I understand how disappointing it is for children who aren't tall enough to ride some of the rides, but I'd like to remind parents that those restrictions are there for a reason. I used to work in an amusement park (not WDW ~ the place I worked is closed now...but not for this reason...management didn't want to spend the money to improve it so that younger people would want to go), and we had an incident where a parent somehow got a child who had been deemed "too short" at the entrance onto the ride. I was working at a snack cart at the entrance and saw that in spite of everything, the child was a good inch to inch and a half too short for the ride and the ride operator explained to the parents that the height restriction was for the child's safety ~ the restraints weren't guaranteed to keep anyone under the height restriction safely in the seat. The parents said that they would have the child wait at the exit and got in line. Apparently the ride operator at the seating portion didn't get the radio message to check and make sure this child was measured again there, and the child's parents put her on the ride ~ it was a raft ride. Well, towards the end, the child slid out of the restraint because it didn't fit her properly. Thankfully she went into the boat and was not injured. There was a pending lawsuit, but as soon as the family's lawyer heard our deposition (yes, because I had been present at the scene of the original measurement I had to give a deopsition) of what happened and that it was verified by no fewer than 4 people talking separately, the suit was dropped.

I don't have children, so I can't say that I fully understand how your heart breaks when a child is not allowed to ride, but I would encourage you to think about what if your child was under the height restriction but because of shoes or whatever was allowed to ride and something happened. It could be worth encouraging the child to wait another year or so (and I understand that for most of us WDW vacations are not annual things) for their own safety and your own piece of mind. I'm not trying to be inflamatory, just to present another side and the reasons for the height restrictions.

Thanks for listening.

~Beth

They are doing this at Disneyland (DCA?). They measure the child, and then get a arm band to wear. The arm bands are color coded, each color/character lets the child get on the rides with that hieght requirement. I think it is a great idea, since there have been many stories where a child was measured and ok for one ride but not another, even though they had the same height requirements.

LoriAnn, Disney is a great place for larger size people. There are very few attractions that have any kind of space limitation, unlike at other theme parks. Here's a link to a website with lots more information: http://allearsnet.com/tp/ridsiz.htm

I think part of the discrepancy from stick to stick is in how the CM has the child stand and the child's posture at the stick. My DD was at least 40" tall without shoes, yet wouldn't stand up straight when trying to be measured. So, we added a few tissues to her shoes and she passed. My more outgoing son stood up proud and tall and passed the 38" mark on Kali even though I had measured him as only 38" with shoes before we left on our trip.

Does anyone have a link that shows the height requirements for each ride? I'll be taking my DGDs with me next year and which rides they can go on will greatly affect our itinerary.

What about height restrictions at water parks? Our DS is also about 47 1/2 inches and typically with running shoes, he meets the 48" requirement for rides. Actually, there doesn't seem to be many rides (maybe just RnR?) that require 48" - most seem 44" or under. But we are wondering about the waterparks - seems a lot of the slides have a 48" requirement. I don't think he'll grow the extra 1/2 " in 5-6 weeks. In barefeet, he probably won't meet the 48" requirement. Is there a best water park choice to make based on height restrictions? Unfortunately he loves water slides - steep, scarey, wild...he likes them all - so a bit concerned that he won't get his 'fill' of fun at a waterpark if restricted to just a few slides.
Thanks....

Thanks for the link! My fiance is a larger man. I know hes been a little worried about this even though he hasnt said so to me. Hes hasnt been as excited about the trip as the rest of us. I think this will help ease his mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter