What's the difference between Moderate and Deluxe?

Whiterose, the PP was talking about Gillroy, not about you, look at their quote.

Although your assumption that people are "jealous" is interesting, but I am assuming its because you mistook the PP's quote.

I thought he was also talking in more general terms too.

I thought he was also talking in more general terms too.

He might have been, to be fair, I think there ARE more of those superior attitudes from those that stay at or justify their stay at deluxes. I have certainly experience this, both on these boards, in my personal/social circles, and at the World itself. And I am sure some people who can't afford dlx are jealous too, but I don't think you were included in the PPs statement just Gillroy.

Like I said, there are also plenty of very nice people who prefer dlx resorts as well :)

Don't get me wrong the moderates are beautiful and very well themed, but the exterior corridors are a dealbreaker for me. It's easier for me to justify the cost of a deluxe and go less than it is to justify the often $200+ per night cost of the moderates with the motel style set up. Also i dont really care for food courts that much. That's just me though. I totally understand why people love the moderates, they just aren't for me.

I honestly feel this falls under the "To each their own" category.

As some have stated they dislike exterior hallways or food options so prefer Deluxe , or on the other hand some don't really have specifics so they may stay Mod or Value , etc.

There is sometimes a sense of entitlement in the world no matter what the discussion or matter may be - rather than trying to change that I try to respect other's opionons and understand their viewpoints as well.

As someone who has been debating highly between Mod and Deluxe I find the feedback informative overall.

Don't get me wrong the moderates are beautiful and very well themed, but the exterior corridors are a dealbreaker for me. It's easier for me to justify the cost of a deluxe and go less than it is to justify the often $200+ per night cost of the moderates with the motel style set up. Also i dont really care for food courts that much. That's just me though. I totally understand why people love the moderates, they just aren't for me.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your feelings towards what you like and don't like. So far I've stayed at poly and pop and there is definitely a difference between the two. When my son was young I let him pick the resort and he always picked pop but our last stay was probably our last. He's 15 now and it seems too little kid like there. I let my mother pick the resort this year so we're going with por. As far as food courts go I very rarely eat at them. Maybe to grab a coffee but with the dining plans I think most people have ress at other places and I've noticed that most food courts are vacant at lunch time. The only food court I'd have to say is the best is pepper market in csr. As far as the door opening to the outside does not make any difference to me iv stayed at the Holiday inn express and there doors open into a hallway and there far from being a delux and I only paid 85.00 a night. Kinda makes you wonder why the mods charge what they do. But your in disney and that's all that matters.

I stay at whatever level fits my budget and purpose of my trip. I act the same whether I am staying value or deluxe -- silly and extroverted cause my inner child takes over!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your feelings towards what you like and don't like. So far I've stayed at poly and pop and there is definitely a difference between the two. When my son was young I let him pick the resort and he always picked pop but our last stay was probably our last. He's 15 now and it seems too little kid like there. I let my mother pick the resort this year so we're going with por. As far as food courts go I very rarely eat at them. Maybe to grab a coffee but with the dining plans I think most people have ress at other places and I've noticed that most food courts are vacant at lunch time. The only food court I'd have to say is the best is pepper market in csr. As far as the door opening to the outside does not make any difference to me iv stayed at the Holiday inn express and there doors open into a hallway and there far from being a delux and I only paid 85.00 a night. Kinda makes you wonder why the mods charge what they do. But your in disney and that's all that matters.

Heh this is totally true, I have stayed at Motel 6's with internal hallways that are $55/night. But I'd stay in a Value any day before staying in one of those, when given the choice :)

Its one of the reasons I don't understand why people point to deluxe and say that's what makes it "deluxe", it has to be more then that, what purpose does the internal hallway provide that makes it important to you ?

Someone wrote recently they preferred them because they didn't like people walking outside their door at night ... and I thought ... um, people are going to be walking outside your door at night whether its internal or external ....

More recently someone noted they didn't want to have to go outside and across the resort to get to the gift shop/restaurant. That, I can totally understand, its not an issue for me, but maybe it is for them :)

I can't believe how big of an issue the internal/external corridors are for some. I've stayed at a $60/night Best Western with internal corridors and a $300/night resort in St. Martin with external corridors. And that's coming from someone who has stayed at a deluxe more than mod and value combined.

Heh this is totally true, I have stayed at Motel 6's with internal hallways that are $55/night. But I'd stay in a Value any day before staying in one of those, when given the choice :)

Its one of the reasons I don't understand why people point to deluxe and say that's what makes it "deluxe", it has to be more then that, what purpose does the internal hallway provide that makes it important to you ?

Someone wrote recently they preferred them because they didn't like people walking outside their door at night ... and I thought ... um, people are going to be walking outside your door at night whether its internal or external ....

More recently someone noted they didn't want to have to go outside and across the resort to get to the gift shop/restaurant. That, I can totally understand, its not an issue for me, but maybe it is for them :)

As far as interior hallways being a defining feature of deluxe resorts, thats because they are. Of course at the Poly/GF/and Garden Wing of the CR you have to go outside to get to your building and then there are interior hallways, but its a feature shared by all deluxe resorts that non deluxe resorts don't have. The other main features shared by deluxes are: proximity to parks, non-bus transportation options (except AKL), TS and Signature dining, and bigger rooms (although yes the interior hallway set up eats into that square footage). There aren't many other features that you get in a deluxe that you don't get in other levels of resorts so, yes, interior hallways are one of the defining attributes of deluxes. Also I think it's worth mentioning for WDW newbies who are deciding between resorts and are used to staying in hotels instead of motels, most people don't expect a motel style set-up at the moderates given how much Disney charges so I always mention that as a difference for them.

I'm not saying that interior hallways automatically make it a nicer resort its just a thing that I really don't like to go without. Certainly there are bad roadside hotels with interior hallways that aren't as nicely maintained as even the values, but for me it makes for a nicer experience. Unless you are on the 1st floor of a deluxe, there aren't going to be people walking right by your room at eye level all the time. For me that's huge. I don't like to leave my windows open when I'm in a room that has exterior hallways, not because of anything I'm doing, but because I don't like the idea of people being able to look into my room at any given moment. Sure people are walking by your DOOR when you have interior hallways, but those doors are solid and people can't see in. For me having windows that I can leave open without people being able to walk right up to them, having a view I can enjoy without the hallways in front of it, and having a balcony (not guaranteed at all Deluxes, but easy enough to get if its important to you and you are flexible with resort choices) are important enough to me to make staying at a deluxe worth it. My park touring style is go go go from RD to 1 or 2 (whenever the parks get crowded) go back to the hotel and relax/take a shower or change clothes if its summer/read. That would be significantly less enjoyable if I had to close the curtains and be in an artificially lit room (I know no one HAS to close the shades, but I personally would).

And the values are not much of a value when that same amount of money per night would get you a much larger, more upscale room outside of disney. I understand you get the bus transportation back and forth from the airport for free but believe me it's all factored into the price of the room.

Here is my design for a hotel, I have a grand lobby like Jambo and then I go outside to get to my room:hyper:

I can't believe how big of an issue the internal/external corridors are for some. I've stayed at a $60/night Best Western with internal corridors and a $300/night resort in St. Martin with external corridors. And that's coming from someone who has stayed at a deluxe more than mod and value combined.

And the values are not much of a value when that same amount of money per night would get you a much larger, more upscale room outside of disney. I understand you get the bus transportation back and forth from the airport for free but believe me it's all factored into the price of the room.

Both very true.

Up until now, I've been in the category of saving up for deluxe and going less often, and this is the first year I'm considering moderate. Deluxe for us the first trip was all about location. We stayed at the Poly and it was a dream, because my kids were small enough that they mostly wanted to go to the MK. DS was 2, so monorail access meant that if he fell asleep in his stroller, we could wheel him out of the park, on/off the train, and into the room without ever unbuckling him (also true for Epcot -- Poly being in easy walking distance to the TTC). The beach was also great for pure downtime -- just playing in the sand when they needed a low key activity. By our second trip, no one needed a stroller anymore, and the kids were starting to like the bigger coasters, so honestly I think we'd have been fine at a moderate. We spent less time at the MK, and none at the Poly beach. This time, I'm considering mostly moderate options, or even (heresy!) off property, because we're going to work Universal and Legoland into the mix and will have a car, making Disney transportation irrelevant. And then the next trip, we'll probably be back on property, because the kids will be old enough to roam without us, and the bus service to all parks will be key. There's no One True Answer. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably always stay at the Poly, because I've gotten attached to it, and it offers (for us) the best mix of atmosphere and convenience. The CR and GF are gorgeous and many of my friends and family love them, but I personally find them a little cold. I'm sure Gilroy will see this as rationalization! :rolleyes1

I have never stayed at a WDW Deluxe but I will admit that interior hallways are more appealing to me because I do not like people walking by my room looking in my windows. That being said, it doesn't bother me enough to cough up the money for a WDW deluxe.

The table service restaurants at the deluxe hotels are not much of a draw for us as I can make reservations to eat there anyway if we really want to (we are eating at Ohana this trip for example and ate at Boma on our last trip). The buses don't bother me since we are going at a non-peak time of the year and although it would be very cool to be able to walk to a park, I'm not really willing to pay for that either just to avoid a bus ride. Pool theming is another thing that doesn't particulary matter very much to me. We belong to a club here at home that has a fun water park with fun slides and a nicely themed pool area and we go all the time during the summer so swimming is not a huge priority for us while at Disney. We will probably go swimming only one or two times during our upcoming trip. It would be nice having a bigger room but this trip will be only me, DH and our 6 year old so we will be more than fine in a moderate sized room and we are excited to see the theming in our POR Royal Room this trip. I chose it more for the theming of the room itself than for the resort theming (although it looks lovely) because I know my DD is going to love all the royal touches in our room. None of the deluxe rooms have that kind of theming for her.

So, bottom line for us, we would like to stay onsite and have interior hallways but not enough to pay the big difference in cost between deluxe and moderate. POR Royal Room here we come!

Just stayed at AKL. You will love it especially if you're used to staying at a value or mod.

:thumbsup2 One of my favorite things at AKL was to site on the balcony with a cup of coffee early in the morning and just take it all in! Such an awesome resort! You will love it!

People who stay deluxe are simply better, more worthy people than those who stay at value or mod.

Haha. Just kidding. ;) I am completely on board with the personal preference thing. We have stayed deluxe (loved it--WL; loved it--AKL; liked it a lot (BWI--me); were kind of meh on it (BWI--DH). We have stayed moderate (CBR) and disliked it because it was just too big and spread out for us. This upcoming trip we are staying at the AKL again (because we only did 1 night last time) but are starting off at Pop. While I am overjoyed to go back to AKL, I seriously cannot wait to do Pop. It just looks like so much fun and I think the kids will love it! Plus, if we like it, we can go back more often since it is so much cheaper!! :rotfl:

We like that the lodge deluxes are more compact (which is one reason I think we might like Pop). We like the interior corridors and having everything under one roof. We found CBR just gigantic and that really turned us off to that resort. CSR holds very little appeal to us because we live in the Southwest so we don't want to vacation in Florida that looks like that Southwest. :rotfl: I have a feeling POR would be too spread out for us; if we ever were to try another moderate, it would be POFQ.

But for us, the exterior corridors are really huge--DH and I both really don't like them. So if we are going to slum it with exterior corridors (JUST KIDDING!!! seriously!) we kind of think we might as well pay as little as possible and do a value resort. For us, mods just don't hold a lot of appeal. But if exterior corridors don't bother someone, then I can see mods being a great value, as they are beautifully themed, relaxing, and at a much more affordable price point than deluxes.

Let me first say I've stayed all levels. Value, Mod, Deluxe and villas

Stayed ASMo twice, ASMu twice, Pop once and I would stay at Pop or ASMu again in a heartbeat if its the only way we could go. I use to be a Disney Commando so it was only a room to sleep in, the theming was cute & sometimes we took swim breaks but were on the go most days.

Stayed CBR one and POR twice, I really liked POR especially mansion section! Beautiful grounds, nice food court, liked the boat to DTD & the buses were great!

Stayed Poly twice, CR once ( staying here Sept again) GF once, BC once & Poly & GF are my favorites for the grounds, the shops, the theming, the food, the service & the gorgeous views!

Stayed SSR on honeymoon & it was very nice more spread out than I was expecting. We were on the go constantly so we didn't really check it out much..

Last several trips we take afternoon swim breaks & sometimes even retire early & watch TV to make vacation more relaxing and I have to admit I really like doing WDW this way much better!

The Deluxe Resorts give us more room to spread out and bigger pools, more lounges & restaurants & we especially love the MK resorts for the convenience of the monorail!

The mods are another good choice for relaxing as they have several pools! Most have a nice lounge as well & 1 sit down restaurant.

Value to us is a bit harder to relax in rooms much smaller, resorts more crowded & buses are always so full as well as the food courts..

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

For us, the idea of having to leave curtains closed in order to have some privacy makes me feel clausterphobic. Thus not a fan of exterior hallways. Love spending time on my balcony in the evening watching the "world" go by.
Like everything else, it's all personal preference.

glammadiva I stay at whatever level fits my budget and purpose of my trip. I act the same whether I am staying value or deluxe -- silly and extroverted cause my inner child takes over!!

I love this! I have always stayed at the Music and then the Pop when we traveled to Disney. And loved it! My kids are grown and this time for the first time we are doing a split stay between BC and AKL. Just hubby and I and no parks this time...just total relaxation and us time. So it really is to each their own. Who knows what this means for my next trip?? My budget will dictate that! But I had to try deluxe just once!:)

It must be an American thing to associate exterior halls to inferior, motel like hotels. Go to many vacation premium RESORTS ( resorts as in a complex of buildings, pools etc. )around the world and many ( I would say most ) have direct access to the outside. For many this is more preferred to walking in a hallway before reaching the luxurious grounds on the outside.

For me POR would not be the same if the buildings were built so one had to first walk inside, then to room.

I do get the privacy issue, but I'll shut my curtains in return to stepping outside my room and instantly having a nice view. Most mods, even standard, have great views directly out the door.

I think delux offers some extras that are a selling point. I for one am looking forward to our balcony at our next stay (AKL).

The only thing that annoys me is that for basically any delux service available you have to pay! Sure it's nice they have a kids club. But for about 20 $ per kid. Club level great, but fork over 100s more. Those thing annoy me. Surprised they aren't charging for wifi at deluxes. Especially when you see a Hilton classic charging but at hamton Inn ( hiltons value brand) it's free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter