What's the difference b/t Apples to Apples (game) and Apples to Apples Junior?

Vacation Lover

DIS Veteran
Apples to Apples is for ages 12+ and Apples to Apples Junior is ages 9+. I think the regular (12+) version would be best for my DD10 but I can't figure out what the difference is between the two.

The Apples to Apples game has more cards, but the cards also tend to be things kids don't know "Robert DeNiro" "Watergate" Apples to Apples Junior has fewer cards, but the cards are all things kids are likely to be familiar with.

I'd get the Junior set, unless your twelve year old has been watching Taxi Driver and reading "All the President's Men."

From what I've seen the biggest difference is in the more complex words, and some of the culture references - I know some of those would go over my daughter's head, like she doesn't know "Rosie O'Donnell" for example.

We have the regular one and had a huge laugh one night. Our 12YO neighbor came up with "My sex life" for the word "boring". We were in tears, but at the same time decided that we will be more careful with who we play this game with.

It is a great game!

Ditto to what has been said. I would also add that for the green cards, in the adult version there are words like "sexy," "sultry," hmm...also maybe like "pretentious" or something like that. It would mostly be just a vocab thing. We played with my 10 year old cousin once and if she got a card she didn't know she just picked a new one. Like others have said, there are some cultural references that the kids might not get, but there are some that I don't get either...and I'm 26!

With the kids version you'd also get stuff that's too "babyish" for a 10 year old. You might get "Barney" or "Big Bird" or "My mommy."

I would get the adult version and then weed out the ones you might find inappropriate for her age or the ones that she wouldn't know anyway.

Either way, it's SUCH a great game! I love it!

I think it depends on who she is going to play with. We have both versions of the game. When adults and children are playing together, we use the adult version. When it is my daughter (12 years old) and her friends, she plays the junior version.

My guess is that about 50% of the adult cards won't make much sense to her. There are a lot of people and places that she just won't know. But she could pull those cards out ahead of time also.

One of my favorite memories of playing this game was playing with her when she was about 8. We didn't own the junior version yet, and she and another 8 year old were playing as a team. All of the adults were playing as individuals. The word to match was something like "scary". And I had the winning card - "the first day of school!" Other cards were thrown in: "the end of the world", "high gas prices", etc, but to two 8 year olds, "the first day of school" beat them all! So there will be cards that she can relate to.

With the kids version you'd also get stuff that's too "babyish" for a 10 year old. You might get "Barney" or "Big Bird" or "My mommy."

We found that even with the "babyish" cards you could find a match, even though it's not what was originally intended - Barney, for example, is "annoying" or "boring" etc. Haha... that's the nice thing about the game, you just never know what connections the players are going to make.

Just wanted to add that my TRU has Apples to Apples Disney version :thumbsup2 I just picked it up yesterday-they have awesome deals on games right now!! Many of them for 3.99 plus a 2.00 rebate!! I haven't opened it yet but the box shows references to characters as well as the parks. I like to think I bought it for my daughter...but since she's only 2 it's a little hard:rotfl:

Just wanted to add that my TRU has Apples to Apples Disney version :thumbsup2 I just picked it up yesterday-they have awesome deals on games right now!! Many of them for 3.99 plus a 2.00 rebate!! I haven't opened it yet but the box shows references to characters as well as the parks. I like to think I bought it for my daughter...but since she's only 2 it's a little hard:rotfl:

That's what I was going to say too! We just picked it up (DH's idea...who swears he's not "buying into the Disney hype") it's a lot of fun!!

So what's the difference between Apples to Apples Kids and Apples to Apples Juniors? Because I was thinking about buying them both but if they're going to be pretty much the same than I don't want to. And do the cards on the back of the Disney Edition have a different design on the back than normal?

I guess the difference depends on how you play the game- My family never plays for logic- we always play for randomness and hilarity. So if you are playing for logic, the junior edition makes more sense for younger children. If you are playing for fun and randomness, it doesn't matter which version you have. My family has both versions and we always pick the regular one.
I didn't know there was a Disney version though- Where can I get one?!:rotfl:

Our family has been playing the junior version and really enjoying it. Where can we get the Disney version. A PP mentioned "TRU" but I do not know what that means!

So what's the difference between Apples to Apples Kids and Apples to Apples Juniors? Because I was thinking about buying them both but if they're going to be pretty much the same than I don't want to.

I think they're essentially the same game. The Jr. version says ages 9 and up, and the Kids version says 7 and up, so I guess it is more appropriate for younger ones. But I bet they have some of the same cards.

Our family has been playing the junior version and really enjoying it. Where can we get the Disney version. A PP mentioned "TRU" but I do not know what that means!

TRU stands for Toys R Us.

Sometimes it's hard to get past all the abbreviations on here.

TRU stands for Toys R Us.

Sometimes it's hard to get past all the abbreviations on here.

Ohh - Toys r us! Thanks - that clears things up! I am going to look for the Disney version. It is possible we do not have it in Canada yet.

Most posters have said it perfectly-- more cards and some that are fairly inappropriate-- "cocaine" and "AIDS" are the first two that come to mind! I agree with getting the adult version and weeding out of inappropriate cards-- though that might take awhile. Then, you can slip the "bad" cards in as she grows older;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter