What's the best age for a puppy to come home?

cutie_dinokun

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! We are getting our puppy soon and I've been reading conflicting articles that suggested anywhere from 8-12 weeks is the best time to bring a puppy home. For those of you who got your pup from a breeder, may I know when did you bring your puppy home and did you experience any pros/cons? Thank you!

Joyce :)

You will probably get many different opinions. Here's a link to a site that I think is fairly clear:
http://globalhausgermanshepherds.com/puppies/critical-periods/

Many breeders will not release a puppy until 8 weeks old. Be very wary of anyone willing to release a puppy at 6 weeks or before. Personally, we like to hold ours past the first fear period (approx 8-12 weeks). Optimal, for us is 3-4 months, but obviously not every future owner wants to wait that long.

Terri

8 weeks is pretty standard. We tried to hold off until the 12 week mark since we were going to be on vacation and wouldn't be able to board the pup. So, the breeder said she would take him back for the week we were away...but that it was important for the pup to be with us for that month. Man, I hear he had a very good time in his 'birth home' with mom and his other relatives!!! But he was happy to be back home with us.

Not before 10 weeks. They need access to their mother's milk and to be fully weaned by the time they are released. They also learn a lot from the siblings in the litter, such as proper play and interaction, not to bite too hard, etc.

Not before 10 weeks. They need access to their mother's milk and to be fully weaned by the time they are released. They also learn a lot from the siblings in the litter, such as proper play and interaction, not to bite too hard, etc.

This. I won't take a puppy home younger than 10 weeks.

Thank you for all the replies! I'm thinking about somewhere around 9-10 weeks...8 weeks seem a bit soon imo.

Have any of you enrolled in pet insurance? I've done some research and petplan seems to be the best choice out there.. Anyone have any experience with them or pet insurance as a whole? I've heard that saving the monthly insurance aside is better than pet insurance, but I've also heard that in the unfortunate event when the vet fees are in the thousands, saving a bit aside just won't cut it......Ummm...

All my Poodles bought from breeders brought home at 8 weeks of age.
I have PetPlan Insurance for my Miniature Poodle. He is 2 1/2 years old and has a loose ligament in both shoulders. I have him treated by a holistic vet with acupuncture and supplements. He has received acupuncture treatments every two weeks for over a year. PetPlan pays for holistic vet treatments and his supplements. I am on a Poodle Forum and most members have PetPlan. PetPlan is the number one pet insurance company. Rembrandt's (brown mini poodle) treatments have run about $3000. I have a $200 deductible and 90% coverage. They are excellent in reimbursing for all his treatments.

I never had pet insurance until a few months ago. I signed up for Healthy Paws, but thankfully have not had to use it since signing up so I can't say anything about the claims process. I went back and forth on whether to save the premium for vet bills or go with insurance, but ultimately wanted to make sure I can afford expensive care if needed. We have 90% reimbursement with a $250 annual deductible.

Thank you, greentea! Yes I agree...when the lucky stars are not shining in our way, the vet bills can be astronomical and saving just the monthly premiums is far from enough. I was considering that earlier too but I prefer to have the peace of mind of insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter