• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's normally on your Easter menu?

Interesting. I make something similar, minus the chicken soup and crunchy topping, and with fresh, not frozen potatoes. Never heard the term funeral potatoes. You learn something new every day. :)

Thank you!!

I need to add cheese straws, I think!!

And what is nectarine caprese?

My mom makes an apricot nectar cake. It’s become a sort of tradition in our family since the recipe was passed down to her by her mother (my grandmother).
Nectarine caprese is just a normal caprese salad but with nectarines instead of tomatoes--we'll replace the tomatoes with stone fruits (peaches, apricots, etc.) during the summer and it's very tasty!

Easter was the one holiday that had a lot of rotation. For a while we had ham but unlike Christmas and Thanksgiving it didn't really have any staples we had every year. This year we will be in FL for Easter so it will be a totally different experience for us.

We're having about 16 people over (3 families) and I think we are going to do appetizers? I'm going to do a ham, and maybe get some of the Hawaiian rolls so people can make mini sandwiches? Other than that, not sure what else. I need to reach out and see what everyone wants to bring. I know we will have beer and wine too.

Ham (usually just a ham steak because I am the only one eating)
Au Gratin Potatoes
Baked Apple
Spinach

Ok, I will admit that I didn’t even know canned ham existed until tonight 😳
I've had it a time or two but honestly, it's more like Spam than an actual ham. I can't imagine serving it for a fancy meal. Sometimes when I want it to be super-easy I get one of these boneless hams wrapped in netting. They are waaaaaay better than canned.

LAMB!!! If I can find something that doesn't require a second mortgage to purchase, that is!! Sides aren't important if we have lamb and mint jelly! I have a stock of loin chops that I got on sale at Sam's about a month ago, so we are GOOD for this Easter, but we've also done leg of lamb if there's a crowd, or shoulder chops or shanks (not DH's/DD's favorite due to texture). We are huge lamb lovers here and we only have it a couple of times a year, so everyone looks forward to this!

Thinking about sides... asparagus sometimes. It's a "spring" vegetable for us, but really there is nothing "traditional" about our Easter dinner. I'll probably ask people what they want, so maybe mashed potatoes, maybe grilled/roasted veggies. I've been wanting rutabega lately (the orange one that we call 'turnip') or parsnips, so maybe one of those, or tiny Brussels sprouts. When DH and I were 'empty-nesters' we didn't usually pay much attention to the holiday at all (not Christian), but it is sort of a cultural-tradition so we look at it as more of a family-gathering time (not meant to be offensive- I Know this is the major holiday in the Christian religions- really the reason/basis of the religion- just not our belief). Now that we have a 5 year old at our house, I'm sure that the Bunny, baskets, and dying eggs will all happen this year!

(I usually buy a ham, too, as they are pretty cheap around easter- we'll have that a couple of weeks later, usually a cheap shank cut so the bone can become pea soup.)

Last edited:
My mother in-law is in charge of the menu, but I am pretty sure it is ham, mac & cheese, and probably some kind of potatoes.

Shrimp Tray
Baked Brie with raspberry sauce
Bread made into bunny shape with dip in the belly - surrounded by vegetables
Deviled Eggs
Ham
Sweet Potatoes
Mac and Cheese
Asparagus
Baked Beans
Cole Slaw
Ambrosia

Pie and Cake for dessert

Ok, I will admit that I didn’t even know canned ham existed until tonight 😳

I've had it a time or two but honestly, it's more like Spam than an actual ham. I can't imagine serving it for a fancy meal. Sometimes when I want it to be super-easy I get one of these boneless hams wrapped in netting. They are waaaaaay better than canned.
View attachment 657003

The last time I tried canned ham, about 20 years ago, it was kind of gross. All slimy with a gelatin-like substance oozing out.

Many hams have to legally be labeled as “ham and water product.” I sometimes see a really low end canned ham labeled “Ham, water and binder product.” 🤮 Dubuque brand, I think.

I only want a smallish ham so I buy one about 1/4 of the size @ronandannette posted. It can be whole or pre-sliced. Those are pretty good.

The last time I tried canned ham, about 20 years ago, it was kind of gross. All slimy with a gelatin-like substance oozing out.

Many hams have to legally be labeled as “ham and water product.” I sometimes see a really low end canned ham labeled “Ham, water and binder product.” 🤮 Dubuque brand, I think.

I only want a smallish ham so I buy one about 1/4 of the size @ronandannette posted. It can be whole or pre-sliced. Those are pretty good.
Yes!! That, and the texture is what reminded me of Spam. Spam has that stuff in the corner of the can sometimes too.

Very often eating out. Easter very often aligns with spring break so we are away from home.

This is us. But instead of often aligns, it is always aligns (Catholic School). Minus the year 2020, we are never home for Easter. Before I took early retirement, I worked every big holiday and Easter was never celebrated after the fact, unlike Christmas.

Honestly, I don't even remember what we had for Easter 2020. Selective amnesia trying to block that year out! :laughing:

Ham is always what we had when I was a kid.

:lovestruc Easter is the most important celebration in our faith and the feast is ALWAYS ham and scalloped potatoes with our standard festive sides of sweet potatoes, mashed turnip and Brussels sprouts. There will also be a relish tray, deviled eggs and a variety of salads. I try to always pick up a nice loaf of braided challah bread but if I miss it, we go with hot cross buns. Dessert is always a nicely decorated cake and a basket of chocolate treats.
One thing that has surprised me here is seeing how many people have deviled eggs at Easter! It’s not something I’ve seen in these parts. We usually have a spiral ham and lemon cake for dessert. This year we are going to do a combination of smashed roasted potatoes, Brussels sprouts and acorn squash - and maybe I’ll try my hand at some deviled eggs! :p

Thank you for properly spelling Brussels Sprouts, with the S at the end of Brussel. Many people don't and it's a pet peeve.

We usually alternate menus.

When it's "my" turn it's Polish foods. Pierogi, golabki (stuffed cabbage), kielbasa, krupnik (mushroom barley soup), and other things. Even my Italian in-laws grew to like it.

When it DW's turn, ham or lamb, and some Italian side dishes, like baked ziti.

We have always had the typical ham dinner, but this year we're making it easy on the cooks and having pulled pork sandwiches, cole slaw, and baked beans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter