• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's normally on your Easter menu?

Not a special meal now, but, back in the day (when I was young, and when we had young kids) we had ham, sweet potatoes, green salad, and Hawaiian rolls.

We used the canned ham mostly (cooked with brown sugar, cloves, dried mustard & either OJ or 7Up to moisten).

But, I've bought just a basic small ham occasionally.

When I was growing up, my dad always worked Easter Sunday in order to be off on Christmas Day (he worked in the lab of a power plant). So we would get all dressed up for church and have our baskets before he left, go to church with mom, out to eat (just fast food) and then go visit my mom's parents. As I got older, dad transferred to another area of the plant and had all holidays off, But we continued pretty much the same tradition, just dad was with us.

Now that I've moved away and have my own family, we go to my parents house for Easter weekend each year. Some years we have our big meal on Saturday because Sunday morning is busy with church. Or sometimes we have a late lunch and have the nice meal on Sunday. It varies. It's usually a spiral ham and chicken tenders (nothing fancy, either KFC or Walmart as thats the two options for chicken in their small rural town) and mom tends to fix way too many of the traditional sides. I have recently started bringing Nothing Bundt Cake for dessert in whatever their annual Easter decorations are.

Not a special meal now, but, back in the day (when I was young, and when we had young kids) we had ham, sweet potatoes, green salad, and Hawaiian rolls.

We used the canned ham mostly (cooked with brown sugar, cloves, dried mustard & either OJ or 7Up to moisten).
View attachment 656799View attachment 656800View attachment 656801

My mom did canned ham with cloves pushed in the top, pineapple slices and cherry glaze on top. Love it. Spicy and sweet.

I made it for my kids a few weeks ago using mom's "recipe", they were not impressed. LOL

It's usually ham baked with a glaze of some sort (I like to try different recipes each year) and then served cold with potato salad and macaroni salad. I'll put out munchies like different olives, cut up cheese and pepperoni, etc.

Ham
Cheesy potatoes
Cauliflower baked in cream of mushroom soup (my favorite as a kid)
Some other veggie
Dinner rolls with a Butter Lamb (of course lol)
Pickles and olives
Strawberry dessert - my mom always made this for us. She passed away in November, so I will try making the dessert this year

View attachment 656799View attachment 656800View attachment 656801

Love it! This was the only ham I ever had, complete with cloves & toothpick attached pineapple with a maraschino. First time I ever even saw a fresh ham in my 20's I flat out challenged that it wasn't even really ham... so like that's my lane in life ;)

Last Easter, we hosted my parents, & we had the following:

Ham (can’t remember the brand, but it was spiral)
Pineapple Stuffing/Dressing
Hashbrown Casserole
Green Beans
Baked Beans
Shaved Carrot-Asparagus Salad
Macaroni Salad
Deviled Eggs
Hawaiian Rolls

And, for dessert -

Easter-themed Cheesecake (from a local bakery)
Carrot Cake
Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
Lemon Squares
Peeps Marshmallow Squares

It's usually ham baked with a glaze of some sort (I like to try different recipes each year) and then served cold with potato salad and macaroni salad. I'll put out munchies like different olives, cut up cheese and pepperoni, etc.
We always have a cold supper on Easter Monday with left-over ham sandwiches and "Easter Egg" potato salad, made with the boiled eggs we dyed for our baskets. :goodvibes

One thing that has surprised me here is seeing how many people have deviled eggs at Easter! It’s not something I’ve seen in these parts. We usually have a spiral ham and lemon cake for dessert. This year we are going to do a combination of smashed roasted potatoes, Brussels sprouts and acorn squash - and maybe I’ll try my hand at some deviled eggs! :p

One thing that has surprised me here is seeing how many people have deviled eggs at Easter! It’s not something I’ve seen in these parts. We usually have a spiral ham and lemon cake for dessert. This year we are going to do a combination of smashed roasted potatoes, Brussels sprouts and acorn squash - and maybe I’ll try my hand at some deviled eggs! :p

That's our lunch. My spouse HATES deviled eggs, but for Easter, he lets the kids have them as lunch. I don't make them - the kids do - but it's a fun little tradition we have. It also gets them some protein around their candy (since lunch tends to be eggs and fruit)...

We usually do:
- Deviled eggs
- Cheese straws
- Honey baked ham (no spiral, but otherwise whatever is cheapest at Wegman's)
- Funeral potatoes
- Collard greens
- Nectarine caprese
- Banana pudding poke cake

My family traditionally has leg of lamb with mint jelly. Sides are roasted potatoes, roasted carrots, and a green vegetable, often creamed spinach or peas. Deviled eggs and other appetizers. Desserts vary but often include a cream pie, either chocolate or banana. DH’s side of the family usually has ham or roast pork loin.

We usually do:
- Deviled eggs
- Cheese straws
- Funeral potatoes
- Collard greens
- Nectarine caprese
Have to ask, what are funeral potatoes? :confused:

Deviled Eggs are a must at most holiday dinners here in the south - at least in my area of the south.

At Easter, I understand it - dyeing & hunting eggs are a part of the holiday, so deviled eggs just seem to naturally fit as something to be served w/ the Easter meal.

However, I don’t necessarily understand why we have to also have deviled eggs at Thanksgiving, but, alas, we do… it’s tradition, I guess. We usually host Thanksgiving at our house, & I have one nephew who would be devastated if I didn’t serve deviled eggs. One year he even said, “It’s just not Thanksgiving w/o deviled eggs.” I mean, there’s a turkey & sweet potatoes & dressing… but, for him, it’s all about the deviled eggs! LOL!

And acorn squash is something we serve a lot in the fall & winter months. Once spring & summer arrives, we usually switch over to zucchini & yellow squash.

Last edited:
We usually do:
- Deviled eggs
- Cheese straws
- Funeral potatoes
- Collard greens
- Nectarine caprese

Thank you!!

I need to add cheese straws, I think!!

And what is nectarine caprese?

My mom makes an apricot nectar cake. It’s become a sort of tradition in our family since the recipe was passed down to her by her mother (my grandmother).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter