what's it called? where to sit on plane?

It is always best to keep them in a carseat and just try to keep them entertained there. The tray table usually fits them almost perfectly (depending on the carseat style) and so I try to bring some unexpected things for my little ones to do on the table. The best that I have found are Play-doh (bring a few small plastic cookie cutters--no plastic knives or scissors), stickers and a book to put them in (most may end up on you, them and the seat though), the Crayola Color Wonder Markers, and paint with water books (ask the FA for a cup with a small amount of water. Even at 2 my little ones were used to the idea that they had to stay in the carseat while in a moving vehicle (I told them the plane was no different) and they really liked having fun stuff to do. I also always have a good stash of snacks and juice boxes for when they get a little restless. I keep everything hidden and just pull out one thing at a time as needed. Try just looking through Walmart or Toys R Us for interesting small items. Before our last trip I found a cute small Dora backpack with a bunch of the "Colorforms" stickers in it that my DD really enjoyed.

Even if you are not buying a seat for your little one you should be able to pull the tray table down while he/she is in your lap and keep them occupied.

As for standing or walking in the aisle, when we flew in March we were told to stay in our seats at all times unless going to the bathroom. We were not even allowed to wait by the bathroom if it was occupied--we had to stay in our seats and watch for the "occupied" light to go off. I don't know if it is the same on all airlines of if regulations may have lightened up by now.

Whe have experienced turbulance several times while flying (and we don't fly often) and I was really glad that my kids were strapped in.

I've flown 4 trips since December and on each one, they did state that the policy is that everyone needs to remain seated and seatbelted in unless you are going to the bathroom or have some urgent need to be out of the seat. One 2 of the trips, we ran into turbualnce fairly suddenly, so I would not want a child on the floor (and don't think the airlines would allow that anymore).
Also, the exit row seats are usually assigned at the airport and they make sure that there is no one under age in that row. They even move people if the people in that row are not able/willing to perfirm the "exit row duties". So, you don't have to worry about being there and not knowing about it.
The last thing - the bulkhead seats are sometimes not able to be reserved ahead of time. They are some of the easier seats on the plane for people with mobility problems to get into, so they often hold those seats until they know they won't be needed for someone with a disability.

Originally posted by safetymom
Bulkhead seats are different than emergency exit rows. Families are OK to sit in the bulkhead seats but not emergency exit rows.

Yes - this is the case, however as a little extra added info. --

I flew to N.J. this past May to visit family (flew out of Jaxonville, FL) on Continental Airlines and for the same reasons as all of you(flying with a 3yr old), and for the reason that I was flying alone with my 3yr old and 5mos pregnant, I also requested to sit in the bulkhead seats for extra room and to make it easier to get on and off the plane since the bulkheads are near the front and exits. When I requested this when I booked my flight I was told that they could not guarentee the request because they leave these seats to be reserved for the handicapped and medically disabled. They said to call 24hrs before the flight and if available they'd try to change my seating then and to ask again when checking in at the gate the day of my flight. They did book me for the first row after the bulkhead to get me closer to the door to get on and off the plane though.:rolleyes:
Anyway, did get to sit there on my return flight but on the flight going they were already taken. And I didn't know if I'd get the seat until I was at the airport to come home and they said "yes it was available" and were able to change my seat. I guess pregancy and/or traveling with small children doesn't count for very much as for special needs of any kind:( Or at least its alot lower on their list:rolleyes:

So from my experience, make the request when you book the flight and hope you luck out -- you just may;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter