what's it called? where to sit on plane?

gillis95

Mouseketeer
Where is it best to sit on the plane with a toddler. Isn't there usually a first row behind each section where no one is in front of you? Is that called something? Can I request that when making my reservation?
Thanks!!

:D

I never sit there, As your lap tray pulss out of the seat arm bar itself, Not down from the wall. I guess it depends if you want to use the lap tray. also there is no seat infront of you to store your bags under, So you will have to get up and get them from an overhead!

The nice thing about a bulkhead seat with a toddler is there's no deat in front of you, so your child can kick away and not hit anything :)

It's actually pretty difficult to get one of them they are often either in emergency exit rows or reserved for elite status fliers, or for disabled passengers.

But it's always worth a try. There is a small pocket in the wall if front of you that hold the inflight mags and such that you can use to store some books and small toys during take off and landing if you need to.

Anne

As mentioned previously, the bulkhead seats tray tables come out of the arm rests, not from in front of you. This means the arm rests do NOT lift up, allowing for a little more room.

Those can only be assigned at the airport. If you want the bulkhead seats get to the airport early. Also you don't have any underseat storage.

Thanks for the info. I've seen lots of people with toddlers sit there. I know there is no storage but they seem to have more room if the little one wanted to sit on the floor anf play or stand up for a little while. Something for me to think about...Thanks!

We could have used one of those seats the 1st time my DS (at 3 ) flew. He wanted to keep opening and closing the tray and window shade. The poor woman in front him had to be annoyed. On the other hand, I think the bulkhead seat would have given him more freedom, and he would have wanted to get out of his seat. Maybe, the airlines should have a "kids only" section where they can play,scream, cry, kick and dismantle the plane without bothering anyone. lol!

We almost always fly Air Tran to Florida and they now have a on-line check-in where you can make your own seat assignment 24hr ahead. It works great.

Also, we always wait till most everyone has boarded, no need to sit longer than we have to. But only do that if you know your stuff will fit under the seats because the overhead storage may fill up.

We have used bulkhead in the past with our infants and toddlers. The extra room is great for stretching, changing diapers and playing!

thumperjr9, if you are sitting in the bulkhead seat there is no underseat storage. You would want to board early in that case to snag an overhead bin.

I would think that after the seat belt sign is off you could walk up there and let the kids sit and color or play quietly. Isn't there a stewardess seats across form bulk head that has room too. to move to for a while

YOu can also buy your infant/toddler(under 2) a seat for half of your fare! I did this and ti was well worth it for the extra room for her~

Originally posted by bearloch
I would think that after the seat belt sign is off you could walk up there and let the kids sit and color or play quietly. Isn't there a stewardess seats across form bulk head that has room too. to move to for a while

There isn't enough room for your kids to sit on the bulkhead floor and play unless you are the passengers in the bulkhead seats, and even then it's really not that much room (not to mention I wouldn't want my kids playing on the floor of an airplane to begin with!)

There's really only about two or three feet between the seats and the bulkhead, certainly not enough room to let your kids play at the feet of other passengers seated there. Not to mention that you'd be blocking the aisle standing there supervising them.

And perhap the most important part--you never know when turbulence will hit, and kids who are playing on the floor or in the aisle could be seriously injured in this case. Please! Keep your kids in their seats and buckeld up while on the plane for their safety and the safety of others. Your kids will be just as comfortable sitting or playing quietly in their seats than on the floor, and a lot safer, too!

Anne

Anne

I agree with Ducklite on this one.. If the children are in a carseat in the car and have to stay seated, then they should have to stay seated on the plane as well. We have a 3 hour flight, and except for a bathroom run, the babies are in the carseat, and its not negotiable. I also agree its always worth it to purchase your little one a seat, of course if its feasible.

When flowen in the past ive seen kids playing in the bulk head area on the stewadress side and walking up the isle a little bit, these were on longer flights, BUT EACH AIRLINE IS different, I would call the airline and ask what the policy is because i did read that on certain airlines they wont let pg, elderly or young kids sit in the bulk head because you are expected to help unload in the event of an emergency.

We had bulkhead seats--by chance--on my DD's (then 2) first airline trip. It was great! She had room to stand up and on the second leg, she actually laid on the floor and slept--wonderful for us! I just booked a flight for our next trip to WDW and requested bulkhead seats--even though on some legs we are in the back of the plane. Definitely worth it!

I was thinking the same thing as Bearloch. Those are emergency exit rows. The people in those rows are suppose to be able to open the door and help others out. I always asked for this when it was just my Dh and I (especially when we woud fly to Manila!) but with kids, while the room would be great and hopefully nothing goes worng on the flight; I would hate to have something go wrong and not be able to do what was required of me. I dunno, I think I am wishy washy on this. I am flying with my 3 year old and 1 year old to the Philippines in Dec.. I would love to have those seats, but I feel like there is a nagging gut reaction that I shouldn't. Those of you that had infants and toddlers..would you have been able to help with the door and stuff should something have happened? If you all felt like you could, then maybe I could get those seats at least from LAX to Tokyo...its a 13 hour flight!

Bulkhead seats are different than emergency exit rows. Families are OK to sit in the bulkhead seats but not emergency exit rows.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. Now I can fly to the Philippines and Disney with some leg room. ;)

I don't know about you guys, but I have flown Air Tran & US Air in the last month and they wouldn't allow children to be out of their seats, unbuckled during the flight. Lately, every on every flight, they keep the seatbelt lite on during the entire flight and the FA's keep reminding the passengers to stayed in their seat with their seat belt on for the duration of the flight.

I doubt children would be allowed to play on the floor like another poster mentioned. I agree that bulkhead seats are great for the extra room and it would be easier to change a diaper there than anywhere else on the plane-lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter