What you are glad you packed/wished you packed?

Fuel Rod recharging sticks are a new must-have for us. You can exchange them for new recharged battery when the original one gets depleted and they have kiosks for them in the parks. I know when I'm taking a lot of pictures or video that my phone battery seems to go down pretty quick and these little rechargers have saved the day more than once. They're $20 if you buy them ahead of time or $30 from the kiosk in the park.

My family is leaving Friday morning to drive to Disney for our first Disney vacation. I have been over my packing list a million times, but I feel like I am missing something. I really want this to be a magical trip, and I know that the more prepared and organized I am, the more relaxed I will be. Having said that, what is something you were glad you had packed on your trip, and what is something you wished you would have packed?
Thanks for starting this great thread! We liked it so much that we chose to feature it on today's edition of the DIS Daily Fix! :flower1:

Hey Gang...

Here is a list that has been on the DCL boards, but you can take it/ edit it to fit your needs.
What is nice about the list, it may help you with your packing needs for the Parks and or DCL.
Hope this helps:

ITEM
$1 or $ 2 bills (room service grat)
Address Labels-Luggage Tags
Address Labels-Postcards
Air Freshner/Room Scent/Pillow scent
Aloe
Antacid
Anti-bacterial Wipes or Gel
Aspirin or other medicine
Backpack
Band-aids
Batteries (camera batteries also)
Beach toys
Benadryl
Beverages/mixers/wine
Binoculars
Bonine
Books
Bubblewrap
Bungee cord/rope
Business Cards
Button Hole Extenders
Cameras
Candy
Carry-on with wheels
CD player/CDs/iPod
Cell phone/ cords to power
Clothspins & clothesline
Coffee
Cooler (soft-sided)
Corkscrew
Cutting knife
Deodorant
Dishwash Detergent or Cloths
Dramamine
Dry erase board
Dryer Sheets
Duct tape (flat pack)
Duffle bag (spare)
Earplugs
Extension Cord or Power Strip
Eyewash and/or eyecup
Fan - hand-held
Fanny pack
Feminine needs
Memory Card (spare)
Flashlight
Folder or Large Envelope
Glow necklaces
Hairbrush/Comb
Hairdryer
Hamper - collapsable
Highlighters
ID holder/dry box
Insect Repellent packets
Keep cool or "migraine ice" strips
Laptop & cords
Laundry Detergent
Laxative, correctal/gentle
Leatherman multi tool
List of these tips
Lotion
Luggage Bag
Magnetic door sign or photo holder
Makeup
Moisturizer/Lotion
Multi~tool/ Leatherman
Night Light
Notebook/Journal, Pens
Notebook/Memo Pad
Over-the-door Shoe Holder
Papaya Enzyme Tablet or Beano
Pen - laundry pen
Pens
Permanent Marker (Sharpie)
Phone Cards (staff grats)
Pillowcases & colored Sharpies
Post-it Pad
Powder
Power Strip
Prescriptions/medicines
Quarters - a roll or two
Reading Glasses
Safety Pins
Scrapbook/Autograph Book
****Sense of humor*****
Sewing Kit
Shampoo
Shaving Kit
Sippy Cups
Snorkeling Gear
Sports bottle/water bottle/mug
Stain Stick or Packet

stamps
Straws
Suction cups/hooks
Sunglasses
Sunscreen/Sunscreen spray
Swiss Army knife
Thank You Cards
Tissues
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Tote Bag/Beach Bag/Day Bag
Trash bags
Travel clock/alarm clock
Travel Iron, Steamer, or Wrinkle Spray
Umbrella
Watch - recommend waterproof
Windex wipes
Woolite
Zip straps
Ziploc Bags

Please add if you could think of other thing...

Robin & Angel "D" :)

I'm always glad I packed an extra bag to get things home. I personally use one of those duffel bag style bags so it takes up minimal style space for this. I also started to always bring some travel sized laundry soap pods after a trip with so much rain you had to do laundry a few times to have dry clean clothes. Also we tend to have a sort of down day near the end so also nice to use that time to do laundry even if not needed so there is less to take care of right as we get back home.

I'm also happy I bring extra charging cables with me. I tend to have 1 break and amazon sells those basic cable 6 packs these days for reasonable bring so there really is no reason to not have extras around. related, I started to bring a 6 port high powered usb charger which I find to take up much less space than a power strip (anker brand). highly recommend this for both traveling and home, really helps the cord mess, especially if you get a bunch of short cables for it.

Fuel Rod recharging sticks are a new must-have for us. You can exchange them for new recharged battery when the original one gets depleted and they have kiosks for them in the parks. I know when I'm taking a lot of pictures or video that my phone battery seems to go down pretty quick and these little rechargers have saved the day more than once. They're $20 if you buy them ahead of time or $30 from the kiosk in the park.

I have a large collection of different sized batteries (including one that can charge my laptop twice). I decided to get a fuel rod the other night and it's been great. Even outside of the parks, they are getting more and more popular so it's a breeze to just need to carry around one and quickly get a fully charged one. was a life saver the other night when we had 2 phones almost dead and we quickly got one mostly charged and swapped the battery to charge the second one. I don't do much business traveling but seems most major airports you might have a layover also hast hem readily available. Gone are the days you need to buy new ones every year or two when the batteries aren't holding their charge much anymore.

the fuel rods look cool, the only issue would be where to find swapping locations..... that said, these lists make my head spin! I tend to pack pretty light, so the things I 'need' are my 'fold-small' duffel for bringing extra souvies home (carry on) and I like a power block to plug in all devices in one spot. I always bring my own battery packs for phones, since they never last all day with pics,etc. I also bring along my very small electric kettle just about everywhere (easy to pack in a small suitcase) and packets of my own tea and intsant oatmeal for easy breakfasts. (not necessary if hotel has in room coffeemaker tho)

Did you buy them from outside Disney? Were you able to exchange them at WDW for for a charged one w/o issue? I'm thinking of buying them for stocking stuffer for sons because of the Disney swap out. If not I'll buy a higher powered charger.

We've been several times and have lived and learned what worked and what wasn't worth carrying around.

The one item that we brought with us for the first time that we were so glad we did was a hand held, rechargeable mister fan. I found an inexpensive one on Amazon with a USB charging cord. We had portable chargers for our phones in the backpack already so it worked out perfectly.

Hey Gang...

Here is a list that has been on the DCL boards, but you can take it/ edit it to fit your needs.
What is nice about the list, it may help you with your packing needs for the Parks and or DCL.
Hope this helps:

ITEM
Address Labels-Postcards
Aloe
Antacid
Backpack
Band-aids
Beach toys
Benadryl
Beverages/mixers/wine
Binoculars
Bonine
Books
Bubblewrap
Bungee cord/rope
Business Cards
Button Hole Extenders
Cameras
Candy
Carry-on with wheels
CD player/CDs/iPod
Clothspins & clothesline
Coffee
Cooler (soft-sided)
Corkscrew
Cutting knife
Deodorant
Dramamine
Dry erase board
Dryer Sheets
Duct tape (flat pack)
Duffle bag (spare)
Earplugs
Eyewash and/or eyecup
Fan - hand-held
Fanny pack
Feminine needs
Memory Card (spare)
Flashlight
Folder or Large Envelope
Glow necklaces
Hairbrush/Comb
Hairdryer
Hamper - collapsable
Highlighters
ID holder/dry box
Insect Repellent packets
Laptop & cords
Laundry Detergent
Leatherman multi tool
List of these tips
Lotion
Luggage Bag
Makeup
Moisturizer/Lotion
Multi~tool/ Leatherman
Night Light
Notebook/Journal, Pens
Notebook/Memo Pad
Pen - laundry pen
Pens
Post-it Pad
Powder
Power Strip
Prescriptions/medicines
Quarters - a roll or two
Reading Glasses
Safety Pins
Scrapbook/Autograph Book
****Sense of humor*****
Sewing Kit
Shampoo
Shaving Kit
Sippy Cups
Snorkeling Gear
Stain Stick or Packet

stamps
Straws
Suction cups/hooks
Sunglasses
Swiss Army knife
Thank You Cards
Tissues
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Trash bags
Travel clock/alarm clock
Umbrella
Windex wipes
Woolite
Zip straps
Ziploc Bags

There's no room left for clothes :-)

For the solo travelers or people without kids: When it came to the parks, I'm glad we brought as little as possible. And I'd do it again. Being able to go through the "No bags" entrance to the parks every single time was a godsend. Hubby wears cargo pants or shorts, and I got some specifically for the trip. By strategically using those pockets we could carry phones, spare batteries, and any other small items that we thought we needed.

We also ended up buying moleskin there, but all they have at WDW seems to be moleskin. If you want molefoam or anything with more fortitude, pick it up before you go or get it offsite. We never have a car and I won't pay for transport to get just that, when I can pop down to the gift shop and make do for far less time and money.

Ziplocs are the one thing I always bring. I put my cell phone in it when we go on a wet ride or if it happens to be raining out.

Over the past few years, I've learned to not pack so many clothes. I used to pack a different outfit for each day and then I would end up not wearing something because I ended up wearing an outfit or two twice. I've now pared that down to one outfit for every two days there. Pretty soon I'll be able to do a week's stay in a carry-on bag! J/K!!!

Good idea about the ziploc bags for our phones. Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids are on our list each year so I'm going to follow your advice next week.

So glad I had:
My s'well bottle. It kept my freebie ice water cold all day.
A bandanna folded and used as a headband. It kept my hair off my neck and out of my face but still looked nice.
A good portable phone charger. MDE app plus others really drained my battery.

I'm glad that my partner likes to travel with a camelbak hydration pack. We fill it up with ice and water before leaving the resorts for the day, and it is a true godsend during the summer months. If you are the one wearing it, it cools off your back, too.

Last edited:
My last trip I started bring a collapsable cooler with me to use at the pool. It's relatively small and packs away really easily in my luggage. Using the free ice machines on resort property to load up on ice keeps me from running back to the room for more drinks or worrying about drinks staying cold in the Florida heat. Not the biggest problem in the world but beverages are always better ice cold, and by beverages I mean beer.

Must have useful items:
  • Ziplock bags
  • Disposable plates, and cups, silverware
  • Portable Power cells for charging
  • Small extension cord
  • Chargers
  • Converter outlet for car (car jack to standard outlet)
  • Blister Bandaids (these aren't regular bandaids but are a squishy gel kind that work wonders)
  • *Prepackaged or individually packaged snacks
  • Rain poncho
  • Collapsible storage bins for extra storage in hotel (pack flat, open to provide containers for clothes or whatever)

*One trip I was really ambitious and had the kids help presort breakfast items and snacks out. We got small ziplock bags and labeled them for each day and each "meal" (breakfast, lunch side items, afternoon snack) of the trip per person. Then we packed the small bags into larger bags per person per day. Then put those into a couple of big boxes. It worked great. All the food was pre-budgeted out. I didn't have to worry about running out of something or people fighting over the last of something or anything, and getting ready was fast and easy, just find your bag for today. If you have time to do it, it worked great. Usually, I'm too lazy, and snacks consist of a quick grocery shop where each person gets to pick out one individually prepackaged box of some type of dessert and one individually prepackaged box of some type of snack. Then I dump everybody's choices into a large bag and throw that into the car where it can be reached with the implication I'm not stopping to buy anything else to snack on.

Things I've forgotten or found myself needing:
  • Waterproof lanyard
    • so I can swim with the room key and cards and phone around my neck. Not as important now with bands, but I still use on other trips. You can buy them, but they are ridiculously expensive in all the Florida shops. Amazon only about $6. I was so mad I forgot mine. I ended up paying a fortune for a giant crappy one I'll never use again.
  • Thermometer
    • One of the kids got sick in the middle of the night, and no one could find a thermometer. The hotel finally located a first aid kit a security guard had I think, but it was a long ordeal at 2am.
  • Chargers /cords for electronics
    • These things are like socks, no matter how many you have, you can't ever find one or I find a box and cord that aren't compatible.
  • Scissors
    • You always end up with something in tamperoof packaging that needs to be opened, and I never have anyway to open it.
  • Cooler
    • We always end up somewhere where I want one of these for something. I have a whole collection of them because I just keep buying new ones since I always forget to pack one.
  • Motion Sickness Drugs
    • I really should have learned by now not to go anywhere without Nondrowsy Dramamine, patches, and zofran. I always think I'm not going to be going anywhere or doing anything that will make me sick, and then something does.
  • Sun protection (sun glasses, hat, sunscreen)
    • I usually forget one or all of these.
  • Snorkel gear
    • I have a small head, so it can be hard for me to find gear that fits right. Also, not all companies use the snorkels that block the water from coming in, not fun when a wave hits.

Hey Gang...

Hope this helps:

ITEM
Address Labels-Postcards
Aloe
Antacid
Backpack
Band-aids
Beach toys
Benadryl
Beverages/mixers/wine
Binoculars
Bonine
Books
Bubblewrap
Bungee cord/rope
Business Cards
Button Hole Extenders
Cameras
Candy
Carry-on with wheels
CD player/CDs/iPod
Clothspins & clothesline
Coffee
Cooler (soft-sided)
Corkscrew
Cutting knife
Deodorant
Dramamine
Dry erase board
Dryer Sheets
Duct tape (flat pack)
Duffle bag (spare)
Earplugs
Eyewash and/or eyecup
Fan - hand-held
Fanny pack
Feminine needs
Memory Card (spare)
Flashlight
Folder or Large Envelope
Glow necklaces
Hairbrush/Comb
Hairdryer
Hamper - collapsable
Highlighters
ID holder/dry box
Insect Repellent packets
Laptop & cords
Laundry Detergent
Leatherman multi tool
List of these tips
Lotion
Luggage Bag
Makeup
Moisturizer/Lotion
Multi~tool/ Leatherman
Night Light
Notebook/Journal, Pens
Notebook/Memo Pad
Pen - laundry pen
Pens
Post-it Pad
Powder
Power Strip
Prescriptions/medicines
Quarters - a roll or two
Reading Glasses
Safety Pins
Scrapbook/Autograph Book
****Sense of humor*****
Sewing Kit
Shampoo
Shaving Kit
Sippy Cups
Snorkeling Gear
Stain Stick or Packet

stamps
Straws
Suction cups/hooks
Sunglasses
Swiss Army knife
Thank You Cards
Tissues
Toothbrush/toothpaste
Trash bags
Travel clock/alarm clock
Umbrella
Windex wipes
Woolite
Zip straps
Ziploc Bags

I would need a Uhaul to take all this stuff. Why a dry erase board. If its to leave message why not just use the post it notes?

Moleskin and scissors to cut it. My daughter went through 4 packs of Dr. Scholl's moleskin on our recent trip!

Ziploc bags of various sizes - they have 1000 and 1 uses.

A power strip for the room - made charging and keeping up with electronics more easy.

Laundry detergent and fabric softener. I had bought a smaller bottle of Tide before our trip, but next time i'm going to get a bigger bottle. We ran out of Tide the day two days before we came home.

Thermometer
  • One of the kids got sick in the middle of the night, and no one could find a thermometer. The hotel finally located a first aid kit a security guard had I think, but it was a long ordeal at 2am.

Our pediatrician once said that kids come in three temperatures. Kiss their forehead:
"Huh. You don't have a fever. Maybe you need more sleep"
"Ut oh. You're kind of warm. You've come down with something. Where is the tylenol?"
or
"Oh, no, you're really hot" and it's scaring me. We are going to Immediate Care now.

I would need a Uhaul to take all this stuff. Why a dry erase board. If its to leave message why not just use the post it notes?
The board can be used for you in your cabin....remember these are just things to help any and all....we use the boards for games like pictionary....
You can take from the list as needed.

Robin & Angel " D"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter