What would you recommend to travel with?

jacobsmommy

DIS Veteran
Our trip will be me, dh and our three year old (will turn three in May). Our trip is on June 23, so he'll basically barely be three. I was planning to buy a booster car seat before the trip b/c they are so lightweight, but he can't sit in it on the plane. Should I just take our big clunky car seat that he's in now? Also, we weren't planning on taking our stroller because I figured we'd have too much stuff for the two of us to push or pull through the airport with the car seat, but now I've read that some of you attatch the car seat to the stroller so the child can sit in it-right? We are staying in DL/San Diego for seven nights, so will we have too much for the two of us to handle in the airport with the clunky car seat and stroller?

When we flew with our 2yo, I thought about bringing the big car seat, but it was HUGE and since he met the height/weight requirements for the booster, I bought one and stashed it into his suitcase. That worked well for us..

Its WAY easier to fly with your kid in a car seat. They know they have to sit still, and wont try to run amok! I wouldnt worry about the stroller though, I would just check it with the luggage. Thats what I am doing, my dd is almost 2 and Im pretty sure she can walk thruogh the airport. I also bought a luggage cart. It cost me $40 and is sturdy enough to hold all my luggage, car seat and stroller. When I check my suitcase I will still use it for my car seat and carryon bags. It folds up compact enough that I can just put it in my carryon. If you are worried about not having enough hands, you might want to think about getting one. I am traveling solo with a 5yo, and 1yo....So I need all the help I can get!

I'm a big fan of 5 point restraints, so no booster for DS (almost 3)! In fact, I'd like to have a 5 point restraint for myself!

At home we use a Britax, but for travel, we bought a Cosco Scenera that has good ratings and is inexpensive and much lighter than the Roundabout. It was GREAT for the plane, he was very happy being in it, and it's simple to secure quickly into a vehicle.

We also bought a carry bag, it's some sort of tough fabric with a big strap. I think it's Eddie Bauer brand? Got it from Target for around $20. On our way home from vacay, it was just me and DS (DH was called away by ailing father), and while it was a pain to get through security b/c it had to come OUT of the bag (then back in), it was easier than trying to carry it (especially b/c I know, and can't un-know, that you aren't supposed to carry it by the straps) in my hands.

However, you don't HAVE to use it on the plane, and if you don't, you could just check it. Then again, baggage handlers + sensitive carseat that shouldln't be dropped or manhandled = perhaps not the best situation. :confused3

As for a stroller, we haven't traveled with one yet (just bought our first jogging stroller a few months ago) b/c I've found slings (and the Ergo as he got bigger) to be easier, but this time we will be traveling with a lightweight one, and I figure we'll gate-check it and perhaps use it to cart him through the airport. Who knows? :)

Oh wait, how are you getting from airport to DL, and will you be renting cars? If you're taking transportation like a bus that doesn't have seatbelts and therefore can't accomodate a carseat (or booster), perhaps you don't need to bring a seat at all? But maybe you are renting a car, and that's why it's in your thoughts. :)

We are flying in and out of San Diego and renting a car. That's why we needed a car seat with us. Plus, we found last year on our trip to WDW that he was restless with a two hour flight-so I was thinking that the clunkier car seat might help with the four hour flight. Then he won't be able to unfasten his seat belt. I bought a booster seat, but we'll wait until closer to June to see which works best...I don't remember-do the airports have luggage carts that you can use or rent?

Yes the airport has luggage carts, they are a life saver. I travel with my dd who is now 6, but at 3 I took the big car seat for the plane (make sure it has a sticker that says FAA approved.) When we arrived I got a luggage cart to check in, kid inthe stroller and went to the gate. I gate checked the stroller, and carried the car seat (PS use a backpack for a carryone to have your hands free) She was much more comfortable on the plane in her car seat, and because she was use to it she sat still like in the car. I am not sure of the cost of the luggage carts, maybe one or two dollars. but well worth it.......

All all the airprots Ive been to its $3. The machines they come out of take cards too. In case you run out of tipping cash like I have done!

If you are renting a car, you can rent a car seat from the car rental agency. Saves you from lugging it around. We once even rented a stroller from a rental agency when we vacationed in Hawaii. With all the restrictions at the airport and traveling with a little one, the less "baggage" equals easier traveling!

If you are renting a car, you can rent a car seat from the car rental agency. Saves you from lugging it around. We once even rented a stroller from a rental agency when we vacationed in Hawaii. With all the restrictions at the airport and traveling with a little one, the less "baggage" equals easier traveling!

I was going to suggest renting one too. A few yrs ago i wouldn't have because they were always awful but the last 2 yrs we've rented from 2 companies and they were clean and current. I'm sure the laws are stricter now which is a good thing.

If you're going to be going to a lot of places I'd suggest bringing your stroller but you can either check it or gate check it. Get a good quality umbrella stroller though, not a big bulky one. We have a nice one (Silver Cross) that even my 5 yr old can still sit in when she gets tired (which she did at DL last week :rolleyes: ) It's sturdy and has a nice strorage net.

If you decide NOT to take your carseat on the plane then you could check it and it doesn't count as one of your checked luggage if that matters. I've checked out nice Britax in one of the car seat bags about 4x and never had a problem.
But I understand about wanting to take it on the plane too-but a Britax would be too big for the seat I think...
good luck

We just thought it was too expensive to rent a car seat for seven days-70 dollars! Our rental car is only $166 dollars from Hertz, so the car seat would be almost half the price of the car! We have a nice mickey mouse umbrella stroller with a canopy and a baggage compartment in the back. I think we'll take that if we take a stroller. Last year we took our big Graco stroller that comes with the travel system to WDW and we loved having it with us. We stayed on the grounds, so we did lots of walking. We have the Disney Visa card, so we can get free strollers at DL, but that doesn't help with DTD, or the walks to and from, also we're going to the San Diego Zoo during our stay in San Diego.

We've got lots to think about!:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter